Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

Going to try to change plane tickets from Friday to Saturday in hopes things will improve enough to be able to get there. Looks like Southwest has Thursday and Friday totally blocked out but I haven't received any notifications yet of cancellation. Even if we get to the airport, have to wonder if roads are clear and buses, taxis, etc are able to run. Anyone in the area have any thoughts at this point since it's pretty clear RCL isn't going to cancel or refund anyone.

They do make much of the bread and milk purchased from a vendor can have an expiration weeks ahead

To further cruisfanatic, Costco alone is usually 2-3 weeks expiry dates for simple bagged milk. Whoever supplies dairy to the lines will be told that it must last selected amount of time.

The little boxed milk they serve in the WJ might have been on the ship for a week or two before one boards.

Given the general condition of SE Texas will they even be able to provision LOS for a 9/3 sailing? If not, perhaps RCCL should take whatever they have warehoused in Galveston and donate it to the relief effort.

That would be like admitting that there is actually a problem down there.

Given the general condition of SE Texas will they even be able to provision LOS for a 9/3 sailing? If not, perhaps RCCL should take whatever they have warehoused in Galveston and donate it to the relief effort.

In another thread it was noted that RC took on full provisions while in Miami to get thru the 9/3 sailing. Confirmed by someone on there twitter account.

Since it is looking the the ship really is planning to sail even if the airports are not functional, we're scrambling to make sure we can get there.

Our normal plan for cruises is to fly in the day before to allow for flight difficulties. For this cruise, we originally booked a flight on Southwest from Chicago to Houston for Saturday, made a hotel reservation near the airport, and rented a car. We planned take the car back to the airport the day of the cruise, and take the cruise company shuttle to the dock.

We called the hotel and they are open for business.

Since things are so uncertain, we also booked flights for Sunday morning, just in case the flight on Saturday doesn't go. We'll just cancel whichever set of flights we don't use. This is what I love about Southwest, NO PENALTIES! We'll just have that credit to use at a future time, which is really easy for us, we travel a lot.

Checked the SW website last night and they are still selling tickets to Houston for Sat and Sun. We have received no communications from SW about cancelling any our our flights.

And, just to be on the safe side, we booked tickets to San Antonio. Hopefully we can drive to Houston and drop off the car and board the ship.

So much uncertainty! Argghh!!

Since it is looking the the ship really is planning to sail even if the airports are not functional, we're scrambling to make sure we can get there.

Our normal plan for cruises is to fly in the day before to allow for flight difficulties. For this cruise, we originally booked a flight on Southwest from Chicago to Houston for Saturday, made a hotel reservation near the airport, and rented a car. We planned take the car back to the airport the day of the cruise, and take the cruise company shuttle to the dock.

Since things are so uncertain, we also booked flights for Sunday morning, just in case the flight on Saturday doesn't go. We'll just cancel whichever set of flights we don't use. This is what I love about Southwest, NO PENALTIES! We'll just have that credit to use at a future time, which is really easy for us, we travel a lot.

Checked the SW website last night and they are still selling tickets to Houston for Sat and Sun. We have received no communications from SW about cancelling any our our flights.

And, just to be on the safe side, we booked tickets to San Antonio. Hopefully we can drive to Houston and drop off the car and board the ship.

I love love love your spirit. You may have the ship to yourselves along with the crew. I wish I had some free time, I would join you.

Hope you let us know what all happens, sounds like one heck of an adventure.

JC

I admire your perseverance and flexibility. Hang in there. I'm pulling for you as we sail a week after you. :-).

UPDATED 8/30/2017 at 8:30 a.m.

Commercial operations have ceased at both IAH and HOU until further notice due to severe weather. No inbound or flights from either airport at this time. For flight details, rescheduling and waivers, please contact your air carrier.

http://www.fly2houston.com/iah/alerts/

Current Highway Conditions - Texas

http://conditions.drivetexas.org/current/

Well they can make bread, but unless someone is traveling with a support/service cow, no fresh milk.

I cook every year for our Search and Rescue Academy up in the woods for 12 days for 100 meals three times a day. I get my milk delivered 2 days before the start of the Academy and the milk is still good at the end. The bread makes it the entire time as well. In fact, none of my food spoils during the 14 days I have it and it is still fresh enough to deliver left over product to the local shelter. I wouldn't consider myself to be a "foodservice" person but I have learned how to buy and from whom. As many meals as they do, I'm pretty sure they have got it down to a science.

So LOS went to Miami because they could not fit into New Orleans...........Hmmmmmm.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article170123152.html

I think they went into Miami so they didn't have to make that 8 hour trip up the Mississippi River both ways. Also Harvey was headed into Louisiana. Don't forget the size of the airport at Miami.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah, I would expect the fresh produce selections on this cruise to be affected, especially towards the end of the week. Dairy could be too. Hopefully they can get some supplies in Houston.

On transAtlantics there are a bunch of sea days in a row and they don't seem to have a problem. with veggies or dairy.

Looking at the weather radar it looks like the rain has moved beyond Houston completely. So, things should rapidly improve. Which is not to say they will be normal.

JC

Things won't be normal for months, but because so many people in Houston and Galveston count on the cruises for a living, things need to get moving again. Everyone that count on the ships for a living loss last weekends paycheck beside what way have happen at home.

UPDATED 8/30/2017 at 8:30 a.m.

Commercial operations have ceased at both IAH and HOU until further notice due to severe weather. No inbound or flights from either airport at this time. For flight details, rescheduling and waivers, please contact your air carrier.

http://www.fly2houston.com/iah/alerts/

Current Highway Conditions - Texas

http://conditions.drivetexas.org/current/

This is not entirely true the rescue choppers are using both airports as well as government planes.

"Commercial operations" - that would not include rescue and government aircraft.

United has been operating relief missions both to bring in supplies as well as to fly out stranded passengers. Most of the flights are from/to ORD, but some have gone to LAX, EWR, MCO and maybe a few others. These are not regularly scheduled flights.