Is there any type of "bulletin board" on ship for passengers to post?

CrGuy

I don't mean official ship meetings, but suppose a passenger wanted to see if any one on board was interested in teaming to explore a port city or something like that? Like a "roll-call" serves on Cruise Critic here, but while aboard ship.

No bulletin board, but I have seen passengers exchanging cabin numbers and joining up for shore excursions while at the Meet and Greet that was set up on their Cruise Critic roll call board. Another place to meet folks for independent sightseeing is at the taxi stand, train station, or bus stop near the pier. Many friendships begin this way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With large roll-calls especially on longer cruises there is often a dedicated area (Vista class, for example, aft of the Front Office), where roll call members' events and notices are posted. I've seen personal notes and requests there. That is pretty much it apart from the one in the Library as has been mentioned.

On our Veendam 48-day SA-Amazon River cruise last winter, the location guide placed a bulletin board in the library area where people could post info about activities or private tours they were interested in. Also spot where they could look for passengers with similar onboard interests - such as cards, bridge, etc. Ask the guide when you get onboard.

No bulletin board, but I have seen passengers exchanging cabin numbers and joining up for shore excursions while at the Meet and Greet that was set up on their Cruise Critic roll call board. Another place to meet folks for independent sightseeing is at the taxi stand, train station, or bus stop near the pier. Many friendships begin this way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trolling for additions to your private tours at a M&G is a big no-no. You are basically trying to steal people from ship sponsored tours. It would be sort of the same as setting up a table in front of the shops to sell your handicrafts.

Discussing tours with people who have already signed up for your tours is one thing; selling them is another. If we abuse the support that the cruise lines give to our M&Gs, they will stop supporting them.

DON

I have been on at least one cruise where they had a bulletin board on an easel outside of the Activity staff office in the lower atrium (on the somewhat older ships). Folks could post messages for informal groups they were forming (like knitting) and changes in plans for groups (like Jane Doe's Bora Bora group is meeting at 10:00 rather than 9:00) or some such thing. Apparently folks knew to look there for changes and the messages were cryptic enough that the rest of us would not know what it was about. It also included some notices about people looking for card game players and such.

But there'd be no reason that excursions shares couldn't be put there, is there? Kinda short notice, but it could work.

No, there is no reason that excursion shares couldn't be put on the bulletin board ... there is, however, a very good reason HAL shouldn't do so. In as much as the CC Roll Call excursion discussions are for third party tours, I think it would be inappropriate for HAL to provide free advertising space for excursions that compete with the vendors with whom HAL has contracts - just a matter of enlightened self-interest IMO.

Trolling for additions to your private tours at a M&G is a big no-no. You are basically trying to steal people from ship sponsored tours. It would be sort of the same as setting up a table in front of the shops to sell your handicrafts.

Discussing tours with people who have already signed up for your tours is one thing; selling them is another. If we abuse the support that the cruise lines give to our M&Gs, they will stop supporting them.

DON

(y)(y)(y)Very well said, Don ... in fact much better than my Post above.

The cruise line wants you to purchase shore excursions, so they are not going to encourage DIY touring.

igraf

I don't mean official ship meetings, but suppose a passenger wanted to see if any one on board was interested in teaming to explore a port city or something like that? Like a "roll-call" serves on Cruise Critic here, but while aboard ship.

Been on 14 cruise lines and never saw any bulletin board on any ship. We once suggested it to a CD and he said the line (it was not HAL) was opposed to that concept. The problem is trying to monitor what is posted, not allowing anything related to tours, sales, etc. Enforcing rules with cruisers is akin to herding cats....it does not work. Consider chair hogs, dress codes, etc. Another idea is for ships to create their own social media site (which can be done as part of the ship's Intranet) that could be accessed by anyone who has a WiFi device. But again, there would be no easy way to control what it posted. Cruise lines are becoming more and more desperate to sell their own overpriced excursions and they simply do not want to do anything that could help passengers discover other options such as private tours or even good port information related to public transit.

Hank

I have seen listings in the library for bridge, book clubs, backgammon, etc.

But never a bulletin board and certainly not for tours unless there is a group on board.

We've never had need for one, but we have pretty active roll calls.

Our activities include everything from trivia, bridge, book clubs, bunco, along with a lot of other things.. We do discuss these at meet and greets and arrange for the groups to meet after the M & G.

People that want to get together in ports for diy can arrange to do so as can private tours.

We don't discuss private tours at meet and greets

Arrangements are made for private tours on the roll call and off board in emails to the participants. If anyone has questions, they can discuss with the leader after the M & G or contact them in their cabin.

To me, these discussions should be outside of the M & G. Not everyone on the roll call is interested in private tours and a M & G is about meeting your roll call members. M & G's should be about everyone, not just people doing private tours (and I do organise private tours :))

Thank goodness? Yes, thank goodness!!! Why do you say that? As a Carnival Corporation shareholder, I do not favor anything that detracts from HAL's business prospects - allowing free advertising for competitors' shore excursions/tours makes nonsense to me. What the harm in a community bulletin board? See my immediately preceding response. See also Posts #12, 14 and 19 above. I’ve seen them on several cruise lines.

Cruzaholic41, see my responses in red above.

I've seen bulletin boards on RCI and Celebrity. They were used for people to find others and/or organize groups for people with special interests. I've seen them calling for get-togethers for veterans, LGBT community, Friends of Bill W, etc. I've only noticed them while standing in line at Guest Services. The bulletin board was also advertised on the Cruise Director's morning show.

I've never noticed anyone advertising private tours on them.

Personally, I don't see why anyone would protest these. A bulletin board is like anything else. It benefits those who want to use it. If you don't want to use it, just ignore it. If affects you in no way, shape or form.

If there's a problem with a bulletin board........it is yet another Cruise Critic problem, not an actual problem.

I have been on at least one cruise where they had a bulletin board on an easel outside of the Activity staff office in the lower atrium (on the somewhat older ships). Folks could post messages for informal groups they were forming (like knitting) and changes in plans for groups (like Jane Doe's Bora Bora group is meeting at 10:00 rather than 9:00) or some such thing. Apparently folks knew to look there for changes and the messages were cryptic enough that the rest of us would not know what it was about. It also included some notices about people looking for card game players and such.

I am sure I have seen that in past HAL cruises, and you are probably right about it being on the older, smaller ships. I remember thinking it was for a specific tour group that was onboard. Certainly never saw anything associated with private tours, just activities on board.

The problem is trying to monitor what is posted, not allowing anything related to tours, sales, etc. Enforcing rules with cruisers is akin to herding cats....it does not work. But again, there would be no easy way to control what it posted.

Hank

Definitely! I saw a posting in the library on the Oosterdam by a couple looking to play strip poker! No lie! I had fun with it though, I actually put up a reply post with my BIL and his wife's cabin number. They got the call and were understandably shocked and confused. After they told us what happened, I confessed the whole thing and we still laugh about it to this day! :halo: