Emotional support animal - peacock

Safety Squirrel

The scooter drivers should at least keep the fact that they’re driving a potential weapon in mind. At 5’7” & 120 lbs (pre-cruise lol) I can squeeze into tight spaces, but I’ve had a scooter driver nearly pin me to the elevator wall! On the other hand, I’ve seen unruly hordes rudely push past a person on a scooter who had been patiently awaiting the elevator. I prefer the stairs, but a foot strain prior to a recent cruise forced me to use elevators some of the time. I now truly feel empathy for people who must always use elevators because many people refuse to recognize the existence of a queue.

On our Oceania cruise a few weeks ago(and on lots of other cruises)I always see pax just barge in before anyone can get out. My now rehearsed snarky response:"Take it easy, folks! We haven't hit the iceberg yet. You men will all have plenty of time to change into women's clothing, so you can get into the lifeboats with the children!" The pax on the elevator love it. The boors barging in...not so much!

Edited by keithm
additions

The ADA strictly forbids asking for documentation, if you don't allow them on your premises without documentation you are leaving yourself open to a big lawsuit which you will most definitely lose. Blind people are not the only people who have service dogs.

You cannot ask for documentation about a service dog, but you can ask what service they are trained to perform. The law also states that the service dog must be properly trained and behave properly and can be removed from a property if it does not behave correctly.

On our Oceania cruise a few weeks ago(and on lots of other cruises)I always see pax just barge in before anyone can get out. My now rehearsed snarky response:"Take it easy, folks! We haven't hit the iceberg yet. You men will all have plenty of time to change into women's clothing, so you can get into the lifeboats with the children!" The pax on the elevator love it. The boors barging in...not so much!

Hahaha love it! And why am I suddenly singing one of my favorite Monty Python songs? Ohhh I’m a lumberjack and I’m okay...

Several posts prior to mine about scooters, did not change the subject. I even quoted a previous post about scooters, Duh....No further comments....

Yes, the thread drift began before your post, and I’m one of the guilty ones who drifted with it. Sorry:(

The concern with animals who are not trained as service dogs is that they can become a danger to other passengers. There have been incidents, including one on a recent flight, where an "emotional assistance dog" bit and seriously injured a passenger.

A friend is fostering a dog training to be a service dog for amputees. Two full years of training are required, with tests at certain milestones in order to stay in the program. For example, the dog is trained not to bark or bite . . . and a host of other things to enable it to be around humans in all sorts of situations and not cause issues.

The problem with "emotional support" animals is that the definition runs the gamut. There are probably some who suffer PTSD or other serious mental issues and need the animal to function. But there are also folks who say, "my dog provides emotional support." Mine does. However, the fact that my dog makes me happier or comforts me when I have a bad stretch doesn't mean that I need my dog in order to function.

I'm a HUGE dog lover and would love nothing more than to take my dog on a cruise. [WHAT A BLAST!!!] However, I am sickened by those who are in my position and come up with fake certificates, etc. just so they can do that. It's not fair to the rest of us and it does a tremendous disservice to those who really need assistance -- by making it harder for them to be accepted. IOW, once you have scammers, there's a presumption that everyone is scamming.

You folk might be interested to see what is required by Qantas in Australia for the carriage of service dogs in their planes.

http://www.qantas.com./infodetail/flying/beforeYouTravel/specialNeeds/qantas-application-form-service-dog.pdf

I'm hopeful someday we can amend our ADA to allow the same procedures

The concern with animals who are not trained as service dogs is that they can become a danger to other passengers. There have been incidents, including one on a recent flight, where an "emotional assistance dog" bit and seriously injured a passenger.

A friend is fostering a dog training to be a service dog for amputees. Two full years of training are required, with tests at certain milestones in order to stay in the program. For example, the dog is trained not to bark or bite . . . and a host of other things to enable it to be around humans in all sorts of situations and not cause issues.

The problem with "emotional support" animals is that the definition runs the gamut. There are probably some who suffer PTSD or other serious mental issues and need the animal to function. But there are also folks who say, "my dog provides emotional support." Mine does. However, the fact that my dog makes me happier or comforts me when I have a bad stretch doesn't mean that I need my dog in order to function.

I'm a HUGE dog lover and would love nothing more than to take my dog on a cruise. [WHAT A BLAST!!!] However, I am sickened by those who are in my position and come up with fake certificates, etc. just so they can do that. It's not fair to the rest of us and it does a tremendous disservice to those who really need assistance -- by making it harder for them to be accepted. IOW, once you have scammers, there's a presumption that everyone is scamming.

100% correct in every part of your statement

Just wondering how people who say they need emotional support animals coped before there was such a thing as emotional support animals? I can be convinced to believe that these animals can certainly provide some support and peace of mind. But are they actually 'necessary' for that person to live their lives at all times? In other words, are they not a 'nice to have' as opposed to a 'need to have'? I think there is a huge difference between a trained service dog leading around someone legally blind, and a support animal taming someone's anxiety. And for the record, I am no stranger to the latter. Serious anxiety issues run in my family so I am more than familiar with them. And yet all of the affected people, including several with severe anxiety and prone to panic attacks, manage to live their lives fully without an animal by their side at all times. Most have 'regular' pets at home (cats, dogs) but they do not cart them around with them. I guess I'm just skeptical about the whole thing.

Just wondering how people who say they need emotional support animals coped before there was such a thing as emotional support animals? I can be convinced to believe that these animals can certainly provide some support and peace of mind. But are they actually 'necessary' for that person to live their lives at all times? In other words, are they not a 'nice to have' as opposed to a 'need to have'? I think there is a huge difference between a trained service dog leading around someone legally blind, and a support animal taming someone's anxiety. And for the record, I am no stranger to the latter. Serious anxiety issues run in my family so I am more than familiar with them. And yet all of the affected people, including several with severe anxiety and prone to panic attacks, manage to live their lives fully without an animal by their side at all times. Most have 'regular' pets at home (cats, dogs) but they do not cart them around with them. I guess I'm just skeptical about the whole thing.

They didn't call them Emotional Support animals, they called them pets.

I like the direction Delta is taking. The owner has to document the animals' legitimacy. Sure people will fake the documents, but if there is an issue (like a dog bite), the owner is toast. They commited fraud, so they are liable for their actions. Nice move Delta. Hey Celebrity, take note.

I clicked on the link you provided, and surprisingly this ad popped up right there beside the article.

Check out their website. Seems you give them all the info and they send you the "kit". No doctor visit needed. No documentation that your dog passed all the ADA requirements. I'd bet this same company can provide college diplomas too.

Medication that’s how they coped. Some of these animals that they are toting around would give me anxiety. We didn’t even want to wheel our children around on a cruise so we waited until they were older. I’ll be damned if I push a dog in a stroller.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When my DW and I enter the ship she is frequently asked "Why are you bringing this animal on the ship?" She responds with "For financial support!" Works every time! Only documentation needed is credit card.

Best post on this very entertaining thread.:D:D:D

Check out their website. Seems you give them all the info and they send you the "kit". No doctor visit needed. No documentation that your dog passed all the ADA requirements. I'd bet this same company can provide college diplomas too.

Don't confuse with support animals, they do not qualify under ADA and there are no requirements for Service animal under ADA.

Don't confuse with support animals, they do not qualify under ADA and there are no requirements for Service animal under ADA.

Just HOW can you tell the difference?? Yes, support animals act in a most professional manner, but many people who have no experience would have NO clue. That's how I've been so good at picking out the phonies. I've had a lot of experience with the "real thing". Have friend who's "service" dog was torn up pretty bad by a "fake" service dog. The owner was sued for big bucks & lost the case. Thanks to the ADA & their asinine rules, only someone in the know has a clue as to what's real & what's been bought on line.

Just HOW can you tell the difference?? Yes, support animals act in a most professional manner, but many people who have no experience would have NO clue. That's how I've been so good at picking out the phonies. I've had a lot of experience with the "real thing". Have friend who's "service" dog was torn up pretty bad by a "fake" service dog. The owner was sued for big bucks & lost the case. Thanks to the ADA & their asinine rules, only someone in the know has a clue as to what's real & what's been bought on line.

In many cases you can't tell the difference. I have always agreed there are many failings of the ADA.

I worked at a Pet Friendly Hotel. 90% of the guest would say it's a service dog just to not have to pay the pet fee. I had a lady in line with her pit bull mix barking and growling at other guest, as she had her foot on it's face to hold it down. I ask her what service it provided her come back was none of you business you have to expect it as a service dog. I told she would need to take the dog outside because it was scaring the other guests. She got pissed and walked out. Needless to say we had to have the family removed from the property a couple of days later for nonpayment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wish I was on board a Celebrity ship right now (I bet we all do!) .. on our recent Infinity sailing I again saw that sign at the whirlpool stating, alongside the other rules, that support animals are not allowed in the water. I always hope they are being pro-active, and that no one has ever tried. :o I wanted to take a photo of it but I never took my phone in there - probably a wise move.

Anyway, there were a few "Chair Hogs" around, but no "Water Dogs" in sight.