Single thread - New website issues and discussions

canadarocks

Don't like the new website either - high on visual style, very low on function or ready access to necessary information. "Oprah, the glamour image" gets shoved in your face at every turn for some unknown reason. Big disconnect between the artificial marketing imagery chosen, and the actual HAL cruise experience. Heavy emphasis on ship "activities", but provides only canned Oprah nonsense instead of making any connection to the travel experience itself. Huge fail.

I

But HAL has as close connection with Microsoft , so maybe that's why ......:rolleyes:

Mariner History comes up ok, though.

Remember the Redmond rallying cry of the 90s, Embrace, Extend and Extinguish? I thought that tactic was long gone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No matter what I do, I can't raise the new website. I don't know whether to feel left out or thankful. Maybe if I could get on the new one, I could book dining reservations since someone mentioned that the take my money pages all worked.

Progress is not necessarily an improvement.

+1. Yesterday was my first experience with this 'new and improved' site and I was extremely frustrated trying to locate a particular cruise.

We need the old filters back, HAL!

No matter what I do, I can't raise the new website. I don't know whether to feel left out or thankful. Maybe if I could get on the new one, I could book dining reservations since someone mentioned that the take my money pages all worked.

Feel lucky. The old site was clunky but very functional. When visiting other cruise line websites I found them very frustrating to get basic information as they too got lost selling the gloss of generic cruising. Now the new HAL website is equally irritating.

Designed to lure in new cruisers I suppose, but virtually worthless for those who come to this cruise line knowing what they want and want to find that information easily and directly and not have to look a lounging Glamour Oprah swaddled in wig and three layers of windbreakers to get there. .

Just spent an hour going back & forth trying to get to, `` my account`` to check my cruising history after reading the posts about others having problems trying to access their accounts, no luck. Finally sent an email to HAL This new site definitely sucks.

Allan

I also am having problems accessing, `` my account`` to check my cruise history. Same problem with finding excursions. Finally gave up & emailed HAL for the info. Not a fan of the new HAL site.

Allan

Just spent an hour going back & forth trying to get to, `` my account`` to check my cruising history after reading the posts about others having problems trying to access their accounts, no luck. Finally sent an email to HAL This new site definitely sucks.

Allan

From what I can tell, there is no way to get to your cruising history on the new site. There is no link to it from "My Account" like there should be. That's why I cleared my "cookie" and was able to bring up the old web page.

For me, Chrome, IE, and Edge all get the old site but Firefox gets the new.

After reading the most recent post I again decided to access my Mariners Account at HAL. No problem at all and all the functions are fine. I am using a PC (not an Apple product) and Opera as my browser. I also had no problem when using Google Chrome as the browser. But IE (Internet Explorer) does seem to have issues and could not even access my Mariners Account or even find a way (there was nothing that pointed to "accounts")

So my suggestion to folks would be to download either the Opera Browser (this is a terrific open source browser that is free and it will not mess up your PC) or Google Chrome (also free). Another alternative is to clear out your cache and history on your IE browser....close the browser and then reopen. Once you go to HAL's site you should then be able to get into your account.

Hank

Opened the HAL website today as well and everything on the "old" site is functioning normally. Mariner status is fine. A desire to be proactive and establish workarounds before I need to print cruise docs is why I am paying attention.

Using an Apple iMac with Safari El Capitan OS X . Checked with my seldom used Chrome and Firefox browsers with a preference to delete history and cookies and again, no issues. The only thing remotely related to Microsoft on my hard drive is an Office for Mac package. My DW is not having any issues with an iPad booking ESX shore excursions.

My theory is that Internet Explorer may be contributing to an incompatibility on some machines. Time will tell.

Edited by naskeag
Spelling

After reading the most recent post I again decided to access my Mariners Account at HAL. No problem at all and all the functions are fine. I am using a PC (not an Apple product) and Opera as my browser. I also had no problem when using Google Chrome as the browser. But IE (Internet Explorer) does seem to have issues and could not even access my Mariners Account or even find a way (there was nothing that pointed to "accounts")

So my suggestion to folks would be to download either the Opera Browser (this is a terrific open source browser that is free and it will not mess up your PC) or Google Chrome (also free). Another alternative is to clear out your cache and history on your IE browser....close the browser and then reopen. Once you go to HAL's site you should then be able to get into your account.

Hank

I am using Firefox

I am using Firefox

That is one of the few browsers I do not have installed :(. But I would make a wild guess that if you clear both your cookies and cache then you might get it to work. On Firefox you do this from the History menu and you can Google specific instructions if needed. On any browser, clearing cookies, cache and even history can help make the browser work better (for a short time).

Hank

That is one of the few browsers I do not have installed :(. But I would make a wild guess that if you clear both your cookies and cache then you might get it to work. On Firefox you do this from the History menu and you can Google specific instructions if needed. On any browser, clearing cookies, cache and even history can help make the browser work better (for a short time).

Hank

Thanks for the suggestion I haven't cleared cookies for a while. I'm getting a new computer so have not been really careful about 'upkeep' on this one

Edited by sail7seas

I just returned from my Cuba Veendam cruise....gone 2 weeks and things have completely changed on the "new" HAL web page! Decided to check out a Sea of Cortez sailing a fellow passenger mentioned for November, and it was frustrating and a complete waste of time trying to get information ! HAL even shows one of the ports, La Paz, in the wrong place.

Karen

To put my opinion into all of this about the new website. No, at this time I don't care for the setup, I personally don't need the graphics that currently exist when you are searching for a cruise. I did not have any issues when checking on our upcoming cruise journeys. The cruise history was obtainable as well as some other items. I did sent Feedback to the tech staff. Having worked IT for 40 years or more, I fully understand the the New website product is still being constructed and I know when ready to go it will have all on it that we all are use to seeing. It dosn't matter which Search Engine you are using, if HAL is testing the new website that is what will be available and when not trying out the New site the soon to be Old website will be up. A suggestion that when the new site is up and you receive a 404 Error (or an error code) use the option (given) to go Home Page.

We will have a new Holland America Line page sooner or later and will get accustomed to it.

Don't like the new website either - high on visual style, very low on function or ready access to necessary information. "Oprah, the glamour image" gets shoved in your face at every turn for some unknown reason. Big disconnect between the artificial marketing imagery chosen, and the actual HAL cruise experience. Heavy emphasis on ship "activities", but provides only canned Oprah nonsense instead of making any connection to the travel experience itself. Huge fail.

Designed to lure in new cruisers I suppose, but virtually worthless for those who come to this cruise line knowing what they want and want to find that information easily and directly and not have to look a lounging Glamour Oprah swaddled in wig and three layers of windbreakers to get there. .

We get it. You're not a fan of Oprah. But your characterizations of the new website have no basis in reality.

Granted, I didn't investigate every rabbit hole or fourth level subpage of the new site, but I believe that I looked at all of the pages and subpages immediately visible. There is only ONE photo of Oprah that I found on the site, as compared with 181 (by my count) images of the ships themselves, their interiors, various ports and sites, and onboard activities NOT related to any "O" theme (e.g., BBC Earth, ATK, the spa, Club HAL, chefs cooking, waiters waiting, folks dancing, sunning, and otherwise enjoying themselves with no help from Oprah).

Yes, I did see six photos (count 'em, six!) of Oprah-related activities like the book club, yoga session, themed store, etc. But on balance, I think that a total of seven out of about 188 photos on the site could scarcely be considered having Oprah "shoved in your face at every turn."

YMMV, I suppose, if even one photo is one too many. But please, stop the hyperbole.

We get it. You're not a fan of Oprah. But your characterizations of the new website have no basis in reality.

Granted, I didn't investigate every rabbit hole or fourth level subpage of the new site, but I believe that I looked at all of the pages and subpages immediately visible. There is only ONE photo of Oprah that I found on the site, as compared with 181 (by my count) images of the ships themselves, their interiors, various ports and sites, and onboard activities NOT related to any "O" theme (e.g., BBC Earth, ATK, the spa, Club HAL, chefs cooking, waiters waiting, folks dancing, sunning, and otherwise enjoying themselves with no help from Oprah).

Yes, I did see six photos (count 'em, six!) of Oprah-related activities like the book club, yoga session, themed store, etc. But on balance, I think that a total of seven out of about 188 photos on the site could scarcely be considered having Oprah "shoved in your face at every turn."

YMMV, I suppose, if even one photo is one too many. But please, stop the hyperbole.

Always look forward to your posts, cruisemom. I described what I saw. No hyperbole.

Bewigged Glamour-Oprah grinning at me even on my Maasdam InDepth page. That was too much for me. I was hoping for that that off the beaten track cruise, that new refigured HAL high enrichment cruise option, it would get me away from the current Oprah downscale daytime TV re-branding of HAL ships, But no luck.

There she was in her air-brushed wasp-waisted triple parka glory reminding me even if I signed up to go to the remotest four corners of the world on the Maasdam, she would still be riding shot gun. Groan. Happy to pitch her off with the rest of the Bounty crew when we get to Pitcairn Island.

Always look forward to your posts, cruisemom. I described what I saw. No hyperbole.

Bewigged Glamour-Oprah grinning at me even on my Maasdam InDepth page. That was too much for me. I was hoping for that that off the beaten track cruise, that new refigured HAL high enrichment cruise option, it would get me away from the current Oprah downscale daytime TV re-branding of HAL ships, But no luck.

There she was in her air-brushed wasp-waisted triple parka glory reminding me even if I signed up to go to the remotest four corners of the world on the Maasdam, she would still be riding shot gun. Groan. Happy to pitch her off with the rest of the Bounty crew when we get to Pitcairn Island.

bolding is mine...

This description is just too funny....thanks for giving me my chuckle for today ;p:D