Deployment 2020-21 booking season begins

15 hours ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

At least you could make a reference that I was the one who found, wrote and shared them here on the forum. No idea why my thread was deleted but whatever.....

Many thanks SummerinK!  Greatly appreciated. I had wondered if your thread got pulled as the agent had let the cat out of the bag too early ??  I wonder whether the same guys have the X Apex itineraries yet... ?? :classic_blink:

I think we should be able to have a UK/Southampton deployment 2020 thread especially if we now have the itineries. There are multiple threads on drinks packages for example and whether they are worth while.  Also there is a deployment in 2020 from Bayonne thread still going strong.  

Thanks for for the info - I would also love to know where you found it but suspect you can’t say.

The only logical reason is that Anthem is too big for several ports in Norway and the Baltic (e.g. Bergen, Stockholm, Geiranger). Voyager class is already at the edge, same applies to Norwegian Getaway and MSC Meraviglia. They have limited options for stops. This is why Royal will always need a kind of Radiance class to offer at least some variaty.   

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

The only logical reason is that Anthem is too big for several ports in Norway and the Baltic (e.g. Bergen, Stockholm, Geiranger). Voyager class is already at the edge, same applies to Norwegian Getaway and MSC Meraviglia. They have limited options for stops. This is why Royal will always need a kind of Radiance class to offer at least some variaty.   

But Indie can do Geiranger, Flams etc....?

Wonder if the rumour that they were going to reintroduce a ship into Harwich may be true...??!

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

Hmm maybe only Stockholm and Bergen would be a problem. But ports like Copenhagen, St.Petersburg, Helsinki, Tallinn, Oslo, Geiranger, Stavanger.. would be no problem for the Anthem. 

Even the bigger P&O Iona fits through several norwegian ports.

8 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Some other users corrected you on that point, and I'll do as well:

There's a length difference of 9 meters between Indy and Anthem, and a beam difference between 3 meters - so if Indy can call such ports like Geiranger, Stavanger etc., Anthem can do so as well.

You mentioned Stockholm, but Indy will not call at Stockholm either, due to her size problems.

I find it to be okay to a certain degree, because very large ships need to call at Nynäshamn, a small village near Stockholm, were you miss the incredible passage through the archipelago of Stockholm - and that's a huge loss of attractiveness IMHO.

Further, MSC Meraviglia still sails itineraires with Stavanger, Geiranger and co., and that's no problem for those ports - MSC avoids to deploy her on itineraries going up to North Cape, Svalbard and Iceland, because for those itineraries she was on the edge, causing a lot of negative passenger feedback... 

10 hours ago, shipfriend_max said:

Some other users corrected you on that point, and I'll do as well:

There's a length difference of 9 meters between Indy and Anthem, and a beam difference between 3 meters - so if Indy can call such ports like Geiranger, Stavanger etc., Anthem can do so as well.

You mentioned Stockholm, but Indy will not call at Stockholm either, due to her size problems.

I find it to be okay to a certain degree, because very large ships need to call at Nynäshamn, a small village near Stockholm, were you miss the incredible passage through the archipelago of Stockholm - and that's a huge loss of attractiveness IMHO.

Further, MSC Meraviglia still sails itineraires with Stavanger, Geiranger and co., and that's no problem for those ports - MSC avoids to deploy her on itineraries going up to North Cape, Svalbard and Iceland, because for those itineraries she was on the edge, causing a lot of negative passenger feedback... 

A ship might fit into a port but there are certain factors that influence the decision to go to there on a regular basis or not. We don`t know what that is but see that Royal decided to send the cold weather ship to the med and the ship with fancy new slides and sun decks to the north. For sure there is a reason for that. I was on Indy some years ago when they first approached the Norwegian Fjords and some passages were at the edge according to the Captain. E.g. Queen Mary went to Geiranger in the past but no longer does. E.g. a Voyager class and Norwegian Breakaway went into Stockholm once or twice but not any more. Bergen was not possible for Indy some years ago but now she can go in. Adventure went to Iceland for one season but not anymore. E.g. some port can be reached only with high tide which limits docking time. Meraviglia is short and fat but Anthem and QM2 are very long and deeper. The lengths of docking space is an issue at many ports and 10 meters more could make a difference.             

3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

A ship might fit into a port but there are certain factors that influence the decision to go to there on a regular basis or not. We don`t know what that is but see that Royal decided to send the cold weather ship to the med and the ship with fancy new slides and sun decks to the north. For sure there is a reason for that. I was on Indy some years ago when they first approached the Norwegian Fjords and some passages were at the edge according to the Captain. E.g. Queen Mary went to Geiranger in the past but no longer does. E.g. a Voyager class and Norwegian Breakaway went into Stockholm once or twice but not any more. Bergen was not possible for Indy some years ago but now she can go in. Adventure went to Iceland for one season but not anymore. E.g. some port can be reached only with high tide which limits docking time. Meraviglia is short and fat but Anthem and QM2 are very long and deeper. The lengths of docking space is an issue at many ports and 10 meters more could make a difference.             

Well said, was thinking same. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

P&O Iona:
337 metres

8,8 m depth

5.200 passengers

Anthem:

347 metres

8,8 m depth

4.900 passengers

Iona fits in all norwegian ports like Bergen, Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger. And she is doing this each week. I don't think the 10 metres would be a problem. Queen Mary 2 (345 metres and much deeper than Anthem) was also in Geiranger, Stavanger, Olden, Oslo, Trondheim.. She just can't sail through the Baltic because she is to high for the Storebelt Bridge. I think there are other reasons why Anthem is not sailing Baltic/Norway.

Edited by Ulsteinvik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Well, that was helpful John & LaLa.  I guess I should should just go to Nassau.

Israel-2013-Aerial 21-Masada.jpg

We visited on Holy Land Cruise out Rome. 

Highly recommend.

Masada is one of Israel's most popular tourist attractions.

Masada (Hebrew: מצדהmetsada, "fortress") is an ancient fortification in the Southern District of Israel situated on top of an isolated rock plateau, akin to a mesa. It is located on the eastern edge of the Judaean Desert, overlooking the Dead Sea 20 km (12 mi) east of Arad.

Herod the Great built palaces for himself on the mountain and fortified Masada between 37 and 31 BCE. According to Josephus, the siege of Masada by troops of the Roman Empire at the end of the First Jewish–Roman War ended in the mass suicide of 960 people, the Sicarii rebels and their families hiding there.

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Well, that was helpful John & LaLa.  I guess I should should just go to Nassau.

Enjoy Nassau, but you missed the point. 

I was responding to SpringAussie mentioning the Mariner cruise that visited Israel this spring.

I was on it.  It was enjoyable.

• Thanks 1

The pressure is on Royal now...

Regal Princess will join Majestic Princess in Australia, home porting in Sydney for the 2020-21 season:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/19955-regal-princess-to-join-majestic-princess-in-australia.html

An obvious response from Royal would be a second Quantum class vessel in Sydney.  

6 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

Regal Princess will join Majestic Princess in Australia, home porting in Sydney for the 2020-21 season:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/19955-regal-princess-to-join-majestic-princess-in-australia.html

An obvious response from Royal would be a second Quantum class vessel in Sydney.  

Why?

21 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Why?

Princess itself, and Carnival more generally, are significantly increasing capacity in this market.  Royal will not want to concede market share to a direct competitor and will respond.  

34 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

If they want to blow the competition out of the water surely they would send an Oasis class down there? Not 2 Quantum’s. 

4 minutes ago, little britain said:

If they want to blow the competition out of the water surely they would send an Oasis class down there? Not 2 Quantum’s. 

I agree that an Oasis class ship would have a big impact, but there are too few  ports in Australia, NZ or the South Pacific that can dock such a ship or manage the volume of people.  Royal's private island would partially resolve this, if it comes to fruition.