Plastic Straws to be Discontinued on Celebrity

vtcruising

Of course if hcat and company hold onto their straws and reuse them throughout the cruise that might be even more ecologically sound than using multiple paper straws. :halo:

We actually do re-use our straws, cups etc..and our area has a great recycling program...no junk dumped in the oceans!

By coincidence, I just came from a luncheon where these were used, and we were all told to keep ours and re-use them at home. Something like this would be easy enough to pack.

e307ef04-8134-4e9f-83f4-3162d7f6ab37_1.364a5410d7248f59e9c32e2db75023e4.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

I use these every day and they are awesome! Our town does strawless summers because we are surrounded by water/ocean. Paper straws work fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why is the replacement of plastic straws unfortunate?

and why do you consider it silly?

The cruise ships have a very specific reason for changing from plastic to paper whenever possible, and it isn't so much about where the items come from and how they are made -- there are debates about the creation of plastic bags vs. cotton bags and each's impact on the environment. This has to do with recycling and/or disposal. It's a different, albeit related, issue.

I believe it's silly and unfortunate based upon my observations of the continuing scare mongering of the environmentalist movement most of which is just an attempt to convince the gullible to donate their money. JMHO.

I believe it's silly and unfortunate based upon my observations of the continuing scare mongering of the environmentalist movement most of which is just an attempt to convince the gullible to donate their money. JMHO.

You are unaware of the amount of plastic material sea animals and birds ingest mistaking the plastic for food and suffering greatly when they do ingest plastic balloons, paper bags and straws. Plastic particles are now found in many turtle eggs. That is how pervasive the problem of plastic contamination of the ocean has become.

My daughter-in-law works at a sea turtle rescue charity. Believe me, it is not just a scheme to get gullible people to donate money.

Paper straws may not help much, but they are a start. I applaud Celebrity for making such a start. By the way, paper straws cost more than plastic straws which is why many restaurants and hotels (and Starbucks) still serve plastic straws.

Thanks for the heads up.. we will bring a few plastic straws along with us assuming we can still get canned soda. We'll also bring some plastic cups and utensils, just in case.

Water in cans is okay with us but the liitle milk type water containers they have at some hotels are awkward for some uses....more so with a paper straw!

You’re a real big help toward solving a problem, better idea would be for you to stay home.

Have you ever seen the photos of the plastic islands in the pacific, they are huge, and guess where the plastic came from, just look in your mirror.

How unfortunate and how silly. Multiple articles showing that removing plastic actually increases the environmental impact. For example, plastic bags have less of an impact than paper or reusable cotton bags.

W-T-F are you talking about? (n):mad::eek:

Good step in the right direction. Having flown over a number of oceans (Paricifc, Atlantic, Med, Indian) I’ve seen the collection of garbage that’s worked into huge floating ‘islands’, most of it plastics. And we had a recent article about a whale found dead on the beach - it was full of plastics.

I read the start of this thread this morning and thought it was a nice little thread, but didn’t really think it would get to over 32 posts.....I always underestimate who will be bothered by this type of thing and actually pack a straw, and those who start another ‘it’s a environmentalist conspiracy’.

Hopefully, I’m missing an inside, tongue-in-cheek joke.

Den

Have you ever seen the photos of the plastic islands in the pacific, they are huge, and guess where the plastic came from, just look in your mirror.

We all need to pay attention to what is happening in our world, and do what is necessary. I applaud Celebrity's efforts.

As an alternative people should use what the name is derived from, straw. It is called a straw because that is what people originally used. Then someone can up with a great idea to improve it and make them out of paper.

Another good alternative is to use a hollow dry noodle.

Straws are dangerous as they cause choking. When people inhale or suck on a straw with food in their mouth they can accidentally suck something into their windpipe and actually choke to death.

There are also times when straws should be used. When in a area where there are bees and yellowjackets using a straw to drink out of can can prevent a person from swallowing one of them that may be in the can.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It looks like the rumors were true. Plastic straws will be eliminated on Celebrity by the end of 2018. If one asks for a straw, they will be given a paper straw.

"After straws, stirrers and picks, the company's next efforts will focus on other single-use plastics such as condiment packets, cups, and bags. A full plastics audit is underway, with the overall plan to be completed in phases by 2020."

Nothing about water bottles in this article.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/19128-royal-caribbean-to-eliminate-plastic-straws-by-end-of-2018.html

More cutbacks.

Because of the immediate possible danger to the resident animals, Disney's Animal Kingdom has been paper straw only since it first opened. Glad to see some ships follow suit as they sail through the natural habitat of the marine animals of the world.

It looks like the rumors were true. Plastic straws will be eliminated on Celebrity by the end of 2018. If one asks for a straw, they will be given a paper straw.

"After straws, stirrers and picks, the company's next efforts will focus on other single-use plastics such as condiment packets, cups, and bags. A full plastics audit is underway, with the overall plan to be completed in phases by 2020."

Nothing about water bottles in this article.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/19128-royal-caribbean-to-eliminate-plastic-straws-by-end-of-2018.html

Great! It is such a nuisance dealing with the superfluous straw stuck in my drink. Do I lay the danged thing on the table? Crumple it and put it in my pocket? And why would they think I need a straw anyway? Plastic or paper?

...Multiple articles showing ....

Ahh yes "multiple articles show" a phrase that is thrown out like a get out of jail free card in any argument. Which articles and by whom?

For example, plastic bags have less of an impact than paper or reusable cotton bags.

"Less impact" how exactly? Single use plastic vs bag for life plastic?

We actually do re-use our straws, cups etc..and our area has a great recycling program...no junk dumped in the oceans!

Your area has a great recycling program? What does that actually mean , it gets segregated and sorted?

.....then it probably gets put into a shipping container and sent to the other side of the world to a country that can't really handle it.

for example, waste recyclables in the UK that has been properly segregated and sorted has found its way to be illegally disposed of abroard. UK currently ships 67% of its plastic waste to Asia

Please tell me this is just irony and a bad joke.

I simply refuse to believe anyone can really be that ignorant...

On the other hand it has become quite common to call everything one does not like to hear or see a lie and fake news.

Great! It is such a nuisance dealing with the superfluous straw stuck in my drink. Do I lay the danged thing on the table? Crumple it and put it in my pocket? And why would they think I need a straw anyway? Plastic or paper?

Totally agree. Not sure why adults need to drink through a straw - is it for medical reasons ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums