Plastic Straws to be Discontinued on Celebrity

vtcruising

I have no problem with paper straws but then I can't remember the last time I used a straw, especially on a ship. Drinking from the glass is fine as far as I am concerned.

Same here. Better than the best recycling program is 1) reduce, then 2) Reuse. Recycling is 3rd.

I grew up when paper straws were common. Hated them b/c they get soggy and collapse when wet -- and straws do tend to get wet.:) Loved the introduction/widespread use of plastic straws. Just being honest.

That said, it's a few days out of my life. If having to use the occasional paper straw is the "worst" thing I have to deal with on a cruise, I will be pretty darn happy.

Totally agree. Not sure why adults need to drink through a straw - is it for medical reasons ?

Some people will have a genuine medical need for a straw to help them drink. I suspect that many of those that do will use their own straws that specifically meet their needs.

Some people will have a genuine medical need for a straw to help them drink. I suspect that many of those that do will use their own straws that specifically meet their needs.

There are metal reusable straws for that purpose. I applaud Celebrity for this change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straws probably make up 1/100,000 of a percent of the plastics a ship takes on in stores for a 14-night cruise. Eliminating plastic straws is somehow going to save the planet? Aren't they doing something similar out in California? It's really hard to understand the liberal mindset. :rolleyes:

Totally agree. Not sure why adults need to drink through a straw - is it for medical reasons ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have very sensitive teeth to cold. Trying to drink a glass of water with ice, or any cold drink really, without a straw just sends pain through them. I believe straws should only be given to those who ask for them, and not a standard accompaniment to every drink, and paper works just fine. I think it's a good move on Celebrity's part and hopefully the paper straws end up in the recycling and not in the trash.

I enjoy my Iglus with a straw! Paper does not hold up..Kiddies also like the little straws that come with their juice boxes. Never tried a metal straw. They used to sell metal drinking cups but haven't seen those in many years...tasted funny/ metallic

Anyone truly worried about pollution in general, will give up their car, cruising, flying and recreational boating, give up their A/C clothes washer and dryer,...etc. Small steps may help but it's the big stuff that really hurts...and everyone can make their own choice.

I enjoy my Iglus with a straw! Paper does not hold up..Kiddies also like the little straws that come with their juice boxes. Never tried a metal straw. They used to sell metal drinking cups but haven't seen those in many years...tasted funny/ metallic

Anyone truly worried about pollution in general, will give up their car, cruising, flying and recreational boating, give up their A/C clothes washer and dryer,...etc. Small steps may help but it's the big stuff that really hurts...and everyone can make their own choice.

"what about "..... is the roll out excuse for never doing anything:(, you have to start somewhere - single use plastic is destroying our oceans or / and those that live in or near to it - the existing collection disposal / recycling infrastructures in place around the world is failing to stop it. Getting rid of plastic straws is a small step in the right direction and will help change behaviour.

Sometimes giving people the choice isn't enough and policy makers need to drive change. Want to go back to lead in your fuel?

Straws probably make up 1/100,000 of a percent of the plastics a ship takes on in stores for a 14-night cruise. Eliminating plastic straws is somehow going to save the planet? Aren't they doing something similar out in California? It's really hard to understand the liberal mindset. :rolleyes:

What does politics have to do with this? Jesus, someone wants to do something good for the environment and it’s liberal? A&W one of Canada’s largest fast food restaurants announced yesterday that they’re stopping using them and Vancouver has also approved a ban on them as well as styrofoam food containers.

Straws probably make up 1/100,000 of a percent of the plastics a ship takes on in stores for a 14-night cruise. Eliminating plastic straws is somehow going to save the planet? ... :rolleyes:

And how is everyone shrugging their shoulders and saying "lets do nothing" going to help,

This is so funny. 67 posts about plastic straws and counting. Politics. Cutbacks. Everything has been mentioned. Has anybody exclaimed yet that after 27 cruises this is the "last straw" (sorry could not resist!) and they are never going to cruise on Celebrity again, Harumph Harumph! Celebrity makes a move to reduce plastic. In general all corporations are doing this. Why so controversial?

It can help reduce tooth decay from sugary drinks.

It also helps to avoid tooth staining especially from tea etc. I prefer a straw but could care less what it's made of (except those metal types :eek:) as long as their still available. I also enjoy my fruity drinks (pena colada) with a straw. They also help to stir in the alcohol which is usually floating on top.

If that is hard for you to understand, no wonder... :rolleyes:

And how is everyone shrugging their shoulders and saying "lets do nothing" going to help,

Exactly - The one restaurant chain in Canada doing it says it will be 82 million less plastic straws per year going into the landfill 82 million!! With just one chain.

I agree one hundred percent with you.

It’s a good start, and more to be done.

I’m from Ireland, we placed a tax on plastic bags in stores years back it’s almost eliminated the pesky buggers totally.

What does politics have to do with this? Jesus, someone wants to do something good for the environment and it’s liberal? A&W one of Canada’s largest fast food restaurants announced yesterday that they’re stopping using them and Vancouver has also approved a ban on them as well as styrofoam food containers.

The charge for plastic bags has had a big effect here in Toronto. Most people carry reusable bags to grocery stores and many other stores have changed to paper carrier bags. On the odd occasions when I may buy clothing I will pay for a bag so it is properly folded and packed, but otherwise it is reusable bags for me.

I stopped using straws long ago. They seem quite un necessary to me.

It also helps to avoid tooth staining especially from tea etc. ...

I learned when quite young the "proper" way to hold a tea cup, the correct way for the little finger to be placed. I am not sure I have ever seen anyone sip tea through a straw and I cannot imagine what the "proper" way to do that might be. I think I will stick with tea cups.

Stan

No one is saying "lets do nothing". Some are challenging the idea that paper is environmentally superior to plastic. And there is much evidence to question the superiority of paper. Do you just want to do something or to take the best course of action? Which, BTW, might be plastic.