Cozumel port busted me....sad face...

I am on the Harmony of the Seas right now. When in Cozumel two days ago, I had brought a Ziplock baggie with a bagel, a muffin, and some cookies. I had read here in the forum not to bring any fruit or veggies! As a family, our hobby on beaches is to find sea glass from beaches all over the Caribbean and then make jewelry or display it in vases at our home. When departing Cozumel, the port officials took the bag of sea glass, “because glass is forbidden”, we were told. I had never heard of this before, and the lady even called two supervisors to confirm we were very wrong to try to bring it. Also, all the cookies, bagel, and muffin we were told was forbidden as well. Just wanted to share my story!

Was the food confiscated on entry into port or when exiting. Or was it the case that they spotted the food items on exit and pointed out they your shouldn't have brought them in?

Thank you for highlighting this.

Was the food confiscated on entry into port or when exiting. Or was it the case that they spotted the food items on exit and pointed out they your shouldn't have brought them in?

Thank you for highlighting this.

It was taken at the end of our day, when we were leaving Cozumel to return to the ship.

Our Cruise Compass, on port days, always has a notice: No food may be taken off the ship or brought from port on the ship.

No seashells, sand and glass that has been collected ashore. Any violation of this policy may result in a fine.

This thread is a good reminder to always read your Cruise Compass before getting off at a port.

There are rules and laws that must be followed because they are put in place to protect their environment.

We as visitors should always be respectful of the countries we are visiting.

I totally appreciated the time we were in line, to get off in port, behind a guy carrying a banana. They told him he couldn't bring it off the ship...so he stood there and ate it before moving, holding up the line.

Yes, we put it on the conveyor belt to go through the scanner with all other bags, and it was flagged and then searched by hand.

I am not sure who confiscated your glass and food.

Was it Mexican government port officials or security on board ship?

Taking any food off the ship that isn't prepackaged is not allowed. As far as the sea glass since your not allowed to bring back sea shells I can see they wouldn't allow the sea glass for the same reason

I've always wondered about these silly rules. People have been picking up shells on the beach at Pensicola for 200 yrs and they're still all over the place....like people could deplete the supply???:rolleyes: That goes for sea glass too....I would consider that garbage that shouldn't be there in the first place. As for cookies???? I really don't get baked goods that have been sanitized by baking as a serious threat to Cozumel. Just another control issue IMHO., And yet the dogs are all over ya....Last trip they took my croissants in a baggie...hope the dog liked them!

And for anyone who likes sea glass, Krylon now has a spray paint that conforms any glass item into sea glass. Neat stuff!

I totally appreciated the time we were in line, to get off in port, behind a guy carrying a banana. They told him he couldn't bring it off the ship...so he stood there and ate it before moving, holding up the line.

Talking about inconsiderate. :mad:

We’ve cruised to Cozumel four times, and we always came across the dogs. My husband thinks they’re drug sniffing dogs, but why would you smuggle drugs into Mexico? I think it’s to catch those trying to bring unwrapped food into the country.

I've always wondered about these silly rules. People have been picking up shells on the beach at Pensicola for 200 yrs and they're still all over the place....like people could deplete the supply???:rolleyes:

"They" claim that there could be living animals deep inside some of the shells.

Just to clarify: you cannot bring ANY food on or off the ship OR you can ONLY bring prepackaged foods on and off the ship?

I have previously read that prepackaged foods were okay, but am confused by this thread. When you have someone in your group with food allergies (or automimmune disorders like celiac disease) that restrict their diet, the access to prepackaged food off the ship is crucial. Not all ports have safe, allergen free, food options.

Have encountered the dogs on the pier at cozumel a few times. I have seen dog sit in front of a passenger and there was fresh food on the person. I do not believe they were drug sniffing dogs.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I've always wondered about these silly rules.

The rules are anything BUT silly. They are in place to protect a country's environment from invasive species that can cause, for example, extreme harm to food crops which impacts a country or even a region's economy.

Please Google med fly to learn about invasive species and how people and other living things can be harmed by not following rules of agriculture, etc.

We took a couple of "Magic Rocks" on our port stop in St John (New England) cruise. We were encouraged to and everyone one else on our private tour did also....we put them in our backpack that went through the scanner when we re-boarded the ship...no problem...perhaps no one cares about "Magic Rocks".

We took a couple of "Magic Rocks" on our port stop in St John (New England) cruise. We were encouraged to and everyone one else on our private tour did also....we put them in our backpack that went through the scanner when we re-boarded the ship...no problem...perhaps no one cares about "Magic Rocks".

?????????

This thread is a good reminder to always read your Cruise Compass before getting off at a port.

There are rules and laws that must be followed because they are put in place to protect their environment.

We as visitors should always be respectful of the countries we are visiting.

Yeah but some people on here wont listen. Been multiple threads last couple months where cruisers are told do not take food ashore and others say will/do anyway...