Very disturbing lawsuit

She's a minor, nothing else matters. Dressy key chain? That's a perv comment.

She’s a minor, he’s a minor, I’m guessing he thought he was being funny, I doubt a 13 year old boy would actually think she was going to be sleeping with him, he was probably trying to impress his new friends. I’ve been a 13 year old teenager girl, have had 3 13 year old daughters, 2 13 year old sons, and have seen my fair share of young teenagers group chats, and I’ve read things I can’t unread. I was privy to the HS varsity soccer group chat when ds15 played with them last summer. It made me happy I never saw anything when ds20 played HS soccer.

The boy was a jerk, but there is no reason why an adult man should’ve had that much of a reaction (I assume alcohol played a part). As for why the boy wasn’t in his cabin, on all of our cruises, only two kids missed curfew, both were 14 year old girls at the time. DH and I accidentally fell asleep (much easier to wait up at home, with more television options and not in bed), both times they had lost track of time (close to 2, both times I woke up in a panic and sent DH to fetch them). Don’t assume all parents allow kids out after curfew).

So it's ok for one minor to sexually assault another?

Girl must have been in fear to tell dad.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You don’t know that, I could see my teen telling me something like that, and saying what an idiot the boy was. 13 year old boys are not that intimidating, especially to 13 year old girls.

What law says that millions of security cameras must be manned 24-7. That is ludicrous.

I am with you here!~ There are already enough cameras with big eyes in the sky on land, now they want them on every ship, every deck, in every venue (soon in every cabin:o) with people creepily watching your every move. This is Big Brother, Orwellian nonsense at its best. Personal responsibility is sadly lacking in this country indeed on the whole planet. That is what truly makes me ill. But when these same parents heard what a lawyer inevitibly advised them, I bet their eyes lit up with dollar signs.

You don’t know that, I could see my teen telling me something like that, and saying what an idiot the boy was. 13 year old boys are not that intimidating, especially to 13 year old girls.

Exactly, If my daughter came to me with that statement, I would've gone straight to security..the father of the girl was the idiot.

You might want to look up the word assault. It doesn't have to be physical. She may have been very afraid of him. Traumatized

This does not condone what happened eventually. Just trying to clear up some questions

You're correct about assault. However, the term sexual assault is different especially in the legal sense. Sexual assault involves physical touch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13 pages over something that happened three years ago and a lawsuit that will likely never even make it to court in the first place. Royal will write a check and settle out of court is my guess, we will likely never hear the outcome and ALL of us will pay for it in the long run. Anyone have an idea of the monetary amount they are seeking?

13 pages over something that happened three years ago and a lawsuit that will likely never even make it to court in the first place. Royal will write a check and settle out of court is my guess, we will likely never hear the outcome and ALL of us will pay for it in the long run. Anyone have an idea of the monetary amount they are seeking?
Only 1 page for me.

There have been threads more trivial with 5 times the numbers of posts

No, it's not ok. But the boy didn't sexually assault anyone - he was the one attacked. It could have been sexually harassing, and she could have been in fear. Still not sexual assault and in no way deserving of what was done to him.

So what determines assault? Legal definition please?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're correct about assault. However, the term sexual assault is different especially in the legal sense. Sexual assault involves physical touch.

How do you know the 13 yo boy didn’t “touch” the 13 yo girl while trying to trade jewelry for sex?

So what determines assault? Legal definition please?

The legal definition varies by state, but I was talking about sexual assault which is quite different, legally speaking, than assault.

How do you know the 13 yo boy didn’t “touch” the 13 yo girl while trying to trade jewelry for sex?

I don't know for a fact, but I would presume that if he had touched the girl it would have been brought to light in her father's trial and reported along with what was reported. As the only mention of sexual assault was what the father did to the 13 year old boy, I think it's quite reasonable to assume that he did not touch her. Though if you have sources stating otherwise, that would change things.

13 pages and counting for something that might happen every day around the world. A young boy asking a young girl for a little action. This type of interaction could take place on the school playground, at the mall, where ever.

From what I understand, the boy made an offer, I assume the girl turned him down. There is no mention that the boy tried to force himself on her or there was any physical touching involved.

Perhaps the girl was scared, and that is why she told her parents. Perhaps she just thought the boy was out of line, maybe the dad saw them talking and asked what was going on. Who knows.

I think it is possible that this whole thing started out with kids being kids. How many posters on here were sexually active as young teens, or at least wanted to be.

The dad badly over reacted.

13 pages and counting for something that might happen every day around the world. A young boy asking a young girl for a little action. This type of interaction could take place on the school playground, at the mall, where ever.

From what I understand, the boy made an offer, I assume the girl turned him down. There is no mention that the boy tried to force himself on her or there was any physical touching involved.

Perhaps the girl was scared, and that is why she told her parents. Perhaps she just thought the boy was out of line, maybe the dad saw them talking and asked what was going on. Who knows.

I think it is possible that this whole thing started out with kids being kids. How many posters on here were sexually active as young teens, or at least wanted to be.

The dad badly over reacted.

Yes he did.

In the past, it would not be uncommon for the girl to tell an older brother to rough him up.

I just happened upon the OP's posting of this lawsuit. My thoughts are of how this incident could have gone much worse than it already did. Where were the parents when this young child was wondering around the ship at that hour of the morning??? That's where the blame gets put directly upon the parents! I have seen kids up at all hours of the night on cruise ships and their parents no where around. People board these ships and let their kids run wildly, thinking "there's nothing to worry about. They're on a ship!". This case is just one example of what COULD go wrong aboard a cruise ship. I've witnessed teenagers throwing a ping pong table overboard during the middle of the night. Yes, I reported it to security but never heard anything back from anyone regarding this incident. All while their parents were elsewhere on the ship doing their own little thing.

I believe there should be a midnight curfew for anyone under 12 years of age on ALL ships. Criticize me all you want. That's just how I feel. It sure would have been a different outcome for this young child had a curfew been in place!

... Where were the parents when this young child was wondering around the ship at that hour of the morning??? That's where the blame gets put directly upon the parents! ...

In my experience short of handcuffs, there is no way to constantly keep track of a young teen. I don't think enough facts are known to allow a presumption that the entire fault belongs with the parents.

In my experience short of handcuffs, there is no way to constantly keep track of a young teen. I don't think enough facts are known to allow a presumption that the entire fault belongs with the parents.
Track his/her smartphone

A number of contributions on this thread worry me. Possibly time for moderator to close the thread?
You will need to report it.

Just asking won't work.

Edited by John&LaLa

A number of contributions on this thread worry me. Possibly time for moderator to close the thread?

Hardly. The discussion has been most civil by the standards of CC.

Those who dislike a thread are free to ignore it.

What??? What could possibly “worry” you?? There’s little nastiness, if any, compared to your average tipping thread.

But I’d love to know what is causing you such distress.

What??? What could possibly “worry” you?? There’s little nastiness, if any, compared to your average tipping thread.

But I’d love to know what is causing you such distress.

Do we have to top the librarian or are they in the tip pool?

Library as it was 3 years ago.

deck-7-library.jpg

wanted to get it in before lockdown

Edited by John&LaLa

I don't know for a fact, but I would presume that if he had touched the girl it would have been brought to light in her father's trial and reported along with what was reported. As the only mention of sexual assault was what the father did to the 13 year old boy, I think it's quite reasonable to assume that he did not touch her. Though if you have sources stating otherwise, that would change things.

No sources other than what was posted here from the Plaintiff which is only one side of the story.

Nobody has enough facts to determine anything. All of this is just speculation. A few have gone overboard (no pun intended) with laying so much blame on Royal.

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

No sources other than what was posted her from the Plaintiff which is only one side of the story.

Nobody has enough facts to determine anything. All of this is just speculation. A few have gone overboard (no pun intended) with laying so much blame on Royal.

Agreed.

There has been even more blame heaped on the parents. Again, based on speculation.

Ultimately the parties or a court will decide the issue of RCI liability. The parents will simply have to live with the knowledge that they may have been able to do more to shelter their child from the trauma of sexual assault.