Very disturbing lawsuit

Fair enough. It was an exaggerated comparison.

But I stand behind my opinion that at 2 am more security measures should be in place by RCCL. Active monitoring, patrolling, enforcing curfews, etc.

Would you be willing to pay a few hundred dollars extra on you fare to cover 24 hour monitoring of security cameras. Place a security guard in every area of the ship, 24/7? I suspect not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They could change their procedures by strictly enforcing curfew. Kid out after midnight, you and your family are off at the next dock. Would cut down on parents who arent aware of where their minor children are.

Could also use sail cards to meter drinking. Bartenders shouldnt guess if a person is intoxicated. The computer could cut passengers off if theyve had more than 3 drinks.

Hiring a couple dozen extra TV watchers would actually not cost the cruise ship because they could pass these costs on to passengers.

The anything goes nature of cruising is likely ending as the industry grows and matures. Lawyers seeking a windfall from deep pocket corporations is a reality of America now and the cruise industry needs to get with the times.

No, it is because the cost is far excessive compared to the level of risk.

This year RCL will carry 5 million passengers. All of the RCCL lines including Royal, Celebrity, and Azmara will carry 6 million passengers. During the last full year data I can find on all of the RCCL they show no alleged assaults with bodily injury, 4 alleged sexual assaults committed by a passenger and 7 alleged sexual assaults committed by a crew member. Note this data includes assaults on crew members as well as passengers.

While location is not listed, I would suspect that most of those took place in either passenger or crew cabins, not in public space.

Just as a comparison the US statistics are for sexual assault are 27.1 per 100 thousand in population.

RCCL's numbers are are .18 per 100 thousand passengers.

So with numbers that low you want them to put in a security monitoring approach that would rival a high security prison.

I'm not sure one can base a sound argument on cruise line provided statistics.

As with most institutions, there have been reports that complaints have been ignored or the incidents mischaracterized/misreported.

They could change their procedures by strictly enforcing curfew. Kid out after midnight, you and your family are off at the next dock. Would cut down on parents who arent aware of where their minor children are.

Could also use sail cards to meter drinking. Bartenders shouldnt guess if a person is intoxicated. The computer could cut passengers off if theyve had more than 3 drinks.

Hiring a couple dozen extra TV watchers would actually not cost the cruise ship because they could pass these costs on to passengers.

The anything goes nature of cruising is likely ending as the industry grows and matures. Lawyers seeking a windfall from deep pocket corporations is a reality of America now and the cruise industry needs to get with the times.

So many things wrong with this post...

There's no midnight curfew, and there couldn't be a blanket ban as there's always a possibility of extenuating circumstances.

They're not going to cut folk off after 3 drinks as (a) they'd make no profit and never sell another drinks package and (b) most folk won't even feel the effect of three drinks over the course of a full day.

Employing banks of TV watchers is a terrible use of resource from an employers point of view - its going to take up extra space for the viewing stations, extra infrastructure to stream CCTV to all these new viewing stations, as well as the cost of their wages, which will drive customers away.

Royal Caribbean provide a service beyond simply America, and the services they provide shouldn't be entirely focused on one overly-litigious market.

Would you be willing to pay a few hundred dollars extra on you fare to cover 24 hour monitoring of security cameras. Place a security guard in every area of the ship, 24/7? I suspect not.

3200 passengers @ $200 ea = $640,000. That's alot of security guards. My point is, it appears that every time an expense is thought to be warranted, there is at least one poster that throws up the arguement about additional costs on their cruise fare. Most of which does not equate accurately to the arguement.

This will be settled out of court. Yes there is a level of responsibility to the parent or guardian, but bottomline, RCL did not enforce THEIR own policy and therefore are negligent. This will not go to trial.

They might not need people to monitor the TVs. They could use facial recognition like at the airports, and if you’re child is out after curfew you get a robocall. Of the situation isn’t remedied, off your family goes at the next dock and the cruise line keeps the balance of your fare.

It would also be possible, and I wonder if the police have this already, software that analyzes video for fighting, weapons, or nudity. If a person is perched on the railing at 3 am, software could send an alert.

And clearly expecting a bartender to guess who is intoxicated is absurd. Software could analyze the speed at which you’re ordering and alert the bartender to slow you down, suggest you take a break, cut you off, alert security or any of a number of actions. If would be far easier for a bartender to tell you the computer says you can’t have another drink for 30 minutes than for the bartender to tell you his personal observation is that you’re drunk.

Where are you putting extra staff? The crew on the ships work very long days, and are in cramped cabins. If these crew are watching security cameras, some othe4 task isn’t being done. I’m so surprised that some think all of these cameras are being constantly monitored.

Personally I'm curious about the comment the boy made to the daughter that set the father off. As father of 3 girls I can see how a father would seek out a little punk who had disrespected his daughter, especially with a few drinks in him. The key of course is knowing how far to take it, and the father obviously went too far. Would also like to know just what the "sexual assault" was and how long the incident lasted. If only a minute or two security would not have had time to react even if cameras were monitored.

There are many articles on this assault, the boy offered the man's daughter "a key chain in exchange for her virginity"

" Royal Caribbean moved for a dismissal, saying that the “plaintiff attempts to impose an absolute duty upon Royal to monitor and protect passengers–such a duty simply does not exist.” Just keep this in mind when you cruise on any line.

3200 passengers @ $200 ea = $640,000. That's alot of security guards. My point is, it appears that every time an expense is thought to be warranted, there is at least one poster that throws up the arguement about additional costs on their cruise fare. Most of which does not equate accurately to the arguement.

This will be settled out of court. Yes there is a level of responsibility to the parent or guardian, but bottomline, RCL did not enforce THEIR own policy and therefore are negligent. This will not go to trial.

Well, if you think all the security cameras and Royal is responsible for cruiser activities in all areas of the ship, just how many crew would that take. Not to mention the space needed to house these additional crew ( less space for paid cruisers).

It’s the Bernie syndrome, let someone else pay for it.

My opinion:

That being said, a boy offering a girl a keychain for her virginity DESERVES to be thrashed (albeit without the sexual component - whatever that was), although it is unwise in our society to actually do it.

Maybe it was a dressy keychain and not that bad of an offer? :confused:

We do not have much information about the girl and her actions after all....

Just keep this in mind when you cruise on any line.

or anywhere in life.

Biker, who wonders if some in this thread condemning RCI would do the same of the local public library if the same incident happened there.

Parents parent parents -- the worst on cruise ships especially. They feel the whole cruise ship is their babysitter and take zero responsibility for an underage child being out of the room at that hour. We ran into this all the time on the Disney ships -- because they give their kids permission to sign themselves out of the kids clubs and then they are all over the ship. The parents were probably out drinking themselves or in a show! I agree RCCL should have been monitoring the cameras, but I think the parents should also shoulder some of the blame and be held accountable. Another case of "it's always someone else's fault!"

Parents should not have let the child out so late.....The girls parent [friend} should not have had physical contact with the boy......

RC should have monitored such action...........Sums it all up..........

She's a minor, nothing else matters. Dressy key chain? That's a perv comment.
So it's ok for one minor to sexually assault another?

Girl must have been in fear to tell dad.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

or anywhere in life.

Biker, who wonders if some in this thread condemning RCI would do the same of the local public library if the same incident happened there.

While I don't condemn RCI, I do think there might be merit in the suit.

Had a similar incident occurred in my local library, I would be outraged. Do you doubt there would be a lawsuit if a similar incident occurred in your local library? I would certainly expect one.

I am not a litigious person but come on.....did you not read the part of the article that said Rccl was NOT monitoring their security cameras?

Would your opinion be any different if it weren't a 13 yo boy but rather a 39 yo? Male or female doesn't matter...what matters is that it was an attack caught on video that should have been manned in real time....but wasn't

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What law says that millions of security cameras must be manned 24-7. That is ludicrous.

What ever happened to accepting personal responsibility? If I allowed my 13 year old to roam around unaccompanied in a town or city, is it the town or cities responsibility to watch my kid? Why do people assume that a floating city is a safe haven? You put thousands of people together in a very confined space then you have to assume some responsibility for your own and your children's safety. The same common sense rules of staying safe apply on a ship as on any other vacation. The accused are in jail where they belong. I do think that there is too much drinking on cruise ships. Perhaps limiting the number of alcoholic beverages allowed on a drink package would be a good idea. There is no way that I can think of for a bartender to know when a person has had too much(unless they are exhibiting obvious drunkenbehavior). If there was just one bar then yes but there are numerous bars, lounges etc on a ship so a passenger can go from bar to bar for his/her drinks. Again we come to personal responsibility. Let the parents/child have their day in court and hope that the jury can hear both sides and come to a fair conclusion.

So it's ok for one minor to sexually assault another?

Girl must have been in fear to tell dad.

No, it's not ok. But the boy didn't sexually assault anyone - he was the one attacked. It could have been sexually harassing, and she could have been in fear. Still not sexual assault and in no way deserving of what was done to him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No, it's not ok. But the boy didn't sexually assault anyone - he was the one attacked. It could have been sexually harassing, and she could have been in fear. Still not sexual assault and in no way deserving of what was done to him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You might want to look up the word assault. It doesn't have to be physical. She may have been very afraid of him. Traumatized

This does not condone what happened eventually. Just trying to clear up some questions