Very disturbing lawsuit

If their were a law or legal precedent obligating all corporations to monitor all security cameras 24/7 then there would be a lot less security cameras in the world. Secondly, while the parents should have known where the kids were, who's to say this wouldn't have happened at another time. Finally, stop blaming the alcohol. This was a heinous attack. Drinking does not turn you into a molester. No matter what the kid said and no matter how much dad had to drink, dad is one disturbed offender. Thankfully he's doing his time albeit in protective custody I'm sure.

Does not make any difference who is at fault. A CHILD WAS SCARRED FOR LIFE. His parents will never forgive themselves. Those MEN should have there BALLS CUT OFF, then shot only after they slowly bleed out, so they have time to suffer.

A childs innocence has been taken away. Thats the real story here. If they get some cash in the process. Good for him and his family. Im surprised, at least as i read there was no mention of surveillance cams in the library.

Did i mention those in-human pieces of human excrement should only die slowly and painfully. I hope those two rot in hell....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

None of this has anything to do with the family trying to cash in by suing the deep pockets.

And a child that offers a girl s keychain for her virginity doesn't sound like he had much innocence to lose.

Agreed.

There has been even more blame heaped on the parents. Again, based on speculation.

Ultimately the parties or a court will decide the issue of RCI liability. The parents will simply have to live with the knowledge that they may have been able to do more to shelter their child from the trauma of sexual assault.

Good point. In my opinion only, based on the Plaintiff suit, I also believe a heavy burden lays upon the parents. I believe it weighs more on them than Royal. I’m not a legal expert but believe you reap what you sow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just happened upon the OP's posting of this lawsuit. My thoughts are of how this incident could have gone much worse than it already did. Where were the parents when this young child was wondering around the ship at that hour of the morning??? That's where the blame gets put directly upon the parents! I have seen kids up at all hours of the night on cruise ships and their parents no where around. People board these ships and let their kids run wildly, thinking "there's nothing to worry about. They're on a ship!". This case is just one example of what COULD go wrong aboard a cruise ship. I've witnessed teenagers throwing a ping pong table overboard during the middle of the night. Yes, I reported it to security but never heard anything back from anyone regarding this incident. All while their parents were elsewhere on the ship doing their own little thing.

I believe there should be a midnight curfew for anyone under 12 years of age on ALL ships. Criticize me all you want. That's just how I feel. It sure would have been a different outcome for this young child had a curfew been in place!

The child in question was 13, so how would setting up at midnight curfew for those under 12? This teenaged was only an hour past his curfew.

A number of contributions on this thread worry me. Possibly time for moderator to close the thread?

Indeed. I've only read a couple random pages, but it's gone off the rails just as I expected when the OP first posted.:rolleyes:

Indeed. I've only read a couple random pages, but it's gone off the rails just as I expected when the OP first posted.:rolleyes:
Original post was 7 words. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don't believe the law specifies cameras be used, but there's a law that requires ships to have man-overboard systems in place. In practice that is all done with cameras and software. RCI and others have gotten waivers to install such systems on all their ships (though most do have them).

I don't think there is such a law. :confused:

Well I disagree about the ship not being responsible about the curfew. The victim had to walk down a corridor or take an elevator or something to get to the library. Those areas should have been monitored as well. I've never seen a library next to a cabin either. So he had to either get there somehow...or...and this hasn't been mentioned yet....lured there somehow

Why isn't anyone questioning why he would be there in the 1st place?

My take....

He was forced in there by the father and friend which makes it ever scarier that 2 men to get a 13 yo into the library without being noticed ....did they teleport themselves? Nope they walked across decks ...up or down stairs...plus they had to find the kid first. Very unsettling.

Just think it through...why would he go to the library on his own? Ever.

He was lured imho either by the father or perhaps the daughter....remember we don't know what he said to her....but my mind runs the gamut of the possibilities.

Imho everyone involved is a punk and fortunately the father and friend have been jailed...but the kid...probably a real winner anyway....is still a victim.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There were several young people that decided to hang out in the library, that is how they got there.

There were several young people that decided to hang out in the library, that is how they got there.
My kids used to hang out in a coffee shop on Carnival. They played cards. About that age

Add me to the list of active and former LEO's on this thread who will tell you that video surveillance is rarely monitored 24/7. Unless the cruise line conveyed to passengers in some way that they were being monitored or the cruise line has a policy that requires monitoring, the mere presence of surveillance cameras does not create an obligation to monitor them. On a side note, even if the cameras were monitored, the chances of this crime be prevented are probably little to none. I've seen enough video surveillance where you couldn't tell an ass from an elbow so instead of ripping the cruise line for not preventing this incident, give them credit for having had it recorded so these guys went to jail.

Very good points. I doubt it could have been prevented.

One aspect the we have seen little information about is how the onboard investigation/interviews were handled. That gets into the part of the lawsuit alleging Intentional emotional distress.

Wow, quite a few responses since I posted this.

Here's where I stand:

There are so many factors here to consider as far as who is at fault for "ancillary blame" with regards to the lawsuit, whether it's the parents for not knowing their child was out, the cruise line for applying too much alcohol or not monitoring cameras, etc etc. The takeaway, however, should be that sexual harassment or assault IS NEVER OKAY. As far as the whole keychain thing, that is appalling, and just chalking it up to "boys will be boys" is a disgusting and outdated response. If nothing else, that boy's parents need to be teaching him to be respectful and that no girl owes him anything. That being said, what the girl's father did was inexcusable and he needs hard time for it. His actions were completely unjustified and not the victim's fault. As far as the cruise line is concerned, I think it will, and should, at least be a learning experience to prevent this from happening again.

Thank you, I thought some ambulance chaser was screaming for such a law while it's there. :) Not sure if it would raise the survival rate much, but that's something for another thread.

You might want to look up the word assault. It doesn't have to be physical. She may have been very afraid of him. Traumatized

This does not condone what happened eventually. Just trying to clear up some questions

In a criminal court ( at least in Canada and other members of the Commonwealth, ) it does.

They could change their procedures by strictly enforcing curfew. Kid out after midnight, you and your family are off at the next dock. Would cut down on parents who arent aware of where their minor children are.

Could also use sail cards to meter drinking. Bartenders shouldnt guess if a person is intoxicated. The computer could cut passengers off if theyve had more than 3 drinks.

Hiring a couple dozen extra TV watchers would actually not cost the cruise ship because they could pass these costs on to passengers.

The anything goes nature of cruising is likely ending as the industry grows and matures. Lawyers seeking a windfall from deep pocket corporations is a reality of America now and the cruise industry needs to get with the times.

Are you insane?

First of all, this would be a huge hit to RCI's bottom line.

Secondly- computer's can't determine one's level of intoxication or either their blood alcohol content.

People drink more than 3 drinks in Church on Sunday's.

We pay enough for our cruises. We don't need to add a few extra surveillance techs to our already ballooning travel budget especially when the chance they would have been able to prevent this is next to none.

Can I please just clear up the assault conversation? Assault, as known in the US, is typically the threatening of another person. Battery is when there is actually an unwanted touching. Some statutes marry the 2 with language such as "assault consummated by battery."

However, Sexual Assault, is generic term that tends to cover a wide variety of sex related crimes....like aggravated sexual abuse, abusive sexual contact, rape, aggravated sexual contact, etc, etc.

So if the young female felt threatened or intimidated (big "if" since we know nothing of that part of the story), it most certainly can be called an assault.

I don’t expect someone to be monitoring all cameras. I expect the ability for them to replay what happened to provide the third side to he said, she said.

Agreed. We had an incident on Harmony where myself and my 2 daughters (ages 12 & 14) were walking deck 11 hallway. My 14 year old was first, then the 12 year old, then me. An older man was walking towards us and completely dropped his pants with no underwear on just as he got to my daughters - I was about 20 feet behind and had just come around a slight curve/bump out when I saw it. He dropped his pants then he saw me - I don't think he realized I was there. He quickly pulled them up while saying "oh sh!t". I stopped and started yelling some not so nice things at him and he took off.

Long story short - I reported it to security, they reviewed the tape and found out who he was. He had a story and we had a story but the taped matched our account to a T. He was confined to his cabin and the cabin searched. Police came on board for interviews when we docked in FLL. I don't expect someone to be monitoring every camera that's on the ship - do you have any idea how many people it would take to live-view every camera? But without the tapes it would have been impossible to identify him and turned into a he-said she-said.

Watch your kids and teach them how to be careful - there are perverts and crazies everywhere in this world so don't let your guard down, ever.

Can I please just clear up the assault conversation? Assault, as known in the US, is typically the threatening of another person. Battery is when there is actually an unwanted touching. Some statutes marry the 2 with language such as "assault consummated by battery."

However, Sexual Assault, is generic term that tends to cover a wide variety of sex related crimes....like aggravated sexual abuse, abusive sexual contact, rape, aggravated sexual contact, etc, etc.

So if the young female felt threatened or intimidated (big "if" since we know nothing of that part of the story), it most certainly can be called an assault.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums