Do you leave valuables by the pool?

zitsky

This is a general question. Would you leave anything valuable on your chair while in the pool? Something like a phone or tablet etc? Maybe it is a good idea to bring an old fashioned paperback just to be safe.

This is a general question. Would you leave anything valuable on your chair while in the pool? Something like a phone or tablet etc? Maybe it is a good idea to bring an old fashioned paperback just to be safe.

I cruise by myself, so I usually take anything of value with me and leave a magazine and my beach bag if I go to the rest room or grab an ice cream cone etc. if I go in the pool I leave it, but try to find a seat where I can watch my bag on my chair and usually wrap the straps around while the stuff is deep in the bag so it hard for someone to just grab it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nope, I will not leave anything that is valuable. If it is only to be in the pool, no need to bring anything else besides the room card. If you go with someone (your partner/friend), you can leave it with them. If you are by yourself, it is best to leave those things in the room inside the safe.

If going swimming at a beach once on board - you can buy/get one of those water proof bag from online.

I was on a cruise where someone's shoes were taken by the pool. I wouldn't leave it.

Seriously? What cruise line? I can't fathom why someone would steal so openly like that...especially considering you are in a confined area and your identity is very well documented.

The only thing of "value" I bring to the pool is my Kindle. If I go into the pool or to the bar to get a drink, I just bury it in my beach bag. I can't imagine with all those people around that anyone is going to rifle through my bag.

I do leave my bag by the chair but normally I am not far from where I have parked my belongings. I would never take my phone, money, or a tablet to the pool. I do take my cabin key though. Of course it is rarely hubby and I are in the pool at the same time anyway.

The only thing of "value" I bring to the pool is my Kindle. If I go into the pool or to the bar to get a drink, I just bury it in my beach bag. I can't imagine with all those people around that anyone is going to rifle through my bag.

+1.....I agree

I bring my backpack with basic poolside necessities and some singles for bar tips. As long as my bag is zipped up, Nobody touches it if I leave it to get a drink or hit the restroom. There are certain lines like Carnival where I feel less trusting than on MSC, Holland, Princess, etc.

Seriously? What cruise line? I can't fathom why someone would steal so openly like that...especially considering you are in a confined area and your identity is very well documented.

Well, there are a LOT of people lounging by the pool. To recognize one over another would be difficult, at best. So, someone swoops in, sees something they like, quickly snatches it, and are off before anyone is the wiser.

Doesn’t surprise me, at all. Unfortunate, but true!

Cruise ships are public spaces regardless of security cameras. I treat my belongings just as I would at the mall. Would you leave your bag on a bench at the mall and walk away from it? No. If your items were completely secure why would there we safes in rooms and locks on your cabin door?

You keep your items with you or locked up.

About 10% of the population would never steal, no matter what, about 10% would steal no matter what, the remaining 80% would steal given an opportunity and need/rationalization. Controls are therefore, in place to keep honest people honest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Cruise ships are public spaces regardless of security cameras. I treat my belongings just as I would at the mall. Would you leave your bag on a bench at the mall and walk away from it? No. If your items were completely secure why would there we safes in rooms and locks on your cabin door?

You keep your items with you or locked up.

About 10% of the population would never steal, no matter what, about 10% would steal no matter what, the remaining 80% would steal given an opportunity and need/rationalization. Controls are therefore, in place to keep honest people honest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Those are interesting statistics... I don’t go into the pool on cruise ships, but have been going to the beach for 50 years, we leave our phones in our beach bags and leave them unattended, so far so good. Once dd21 left her phone at the beach and came home, it was unlocked and the person who found it found a way to contact her.

NCL. We were on a 31 day cruise and we would go to basketball games every sea day. There was always a nice gentleman there in the beginning. After a few days he didn't go to the basketball, when I saw him I asked why he wasn't going. He said his tennis shoes were taken while he was in the pool and you can't go on the basketball court without tennis shoes. At first I thought he was kidding but then told me the whole story. I couldn't believe it. They weren't even expensive he said, but were brand new. So? I don't know what actions he took, but he did seem to take it in stride and was still super positive.

NCL. We were on a 31 day cruise and we would go to basketball games every sea day. There was always a nice gentleman there in the beginning. After a few days he didn't go to the basketball, when I saw him I asked why he wasn't going. He said his tennis shoes were taken while he was in the pool and you can't go on the basketball court without tennis shoes. At first I thought he was kidding but then told me the whole story. I couldn't believe it. They weren't even expensive he said, but were brand new. So? I don't know what actions he took, but he did seem to take it in stride and was still super positive.

WOW. Like I said, I just can't fathom someone on a cruise (let alone someone that can afford to pay for a 31 day cruise costing thousands of dollars) feeling the need to steal a pair of shoes. Anything's possible, obviously. Sad.

I carry my phone if I am separated from family and may want to message them. Like others said, I bury it and close the bag and loop the handle under a chair leg so it is not easy to grab and run. Try to get a chair that is in sight of the pool. For beaches I bought a small safe bag with combination lock and cable. You loop it on your chair and lock up your wallet and phone. Would work on the ship too, but haven't regarded it a major risk on the ship so far.