"There was a problem processing this transaction. Please contact your card provider."

Roz

What's it to you if I ask a question on CC? It's a way to get information so that when a person does call their credit card company, TA, cruise line, etc. they can ask informed questions. I'm sorry if my posts offended you, RDC1.

Roz

What's it to you if I ask a question on CC? It's a way to get information so that when a person does call their credit card company, TA, cruise line, etc. they can ask informed questions. I'm sorry if my posts offended you, RDC1.

Roz

because if you actually called and got a definitive answer and reported back it would actually convey useful information if the problem is with HAL

otherwise it is all just speculation.

• Like 2

No, I haven't called AMEX yet. I just did my online check-in for 2 HAL cruises, and it accepted my AMEX both times. Very strange.

Roz

If you did that 3 times in a short period THAT could have triggered a flag with AMEX. If you don't want to accept the advice of people on Cruise Critic why did you even post.

Roy

• Like 1

To clarify, I did NOT use my credit card 3 times in a short amt. of time. Even if I did, so what? I've used my card at 3 stores at the mall in the space of less than an hour, and it didn't generate an error message.

I tried purchasing the transfer Saturday evening. I did the online check-in mid-morning today. I don't see how those actions would have generated the bad card message last night, unless my card has some kind of telepathic powers and knew I was going to use it twice this morning to check in.

I'm sorry I even posted about this problem. I'll get it resolved, but won't share the solution with anyone who posts a similar problem on CC, since I'm obviously an idiot and don't know what I'm doing or talking about.

Roz

To clarify, I did NOT use my credit card 3 times in a short amt. of time. Even if I did, so what? I've used my card at 3 stores at the mall in the space of less than an hour, and it didn't generate an error message.

I tried purchasing the transfer Saturday evening. I did the online check-in mid-morning today. I don't see how those actions would have generated the bad card message last night, unless my card has some kind of telepathic powers and knew I was going to use it twice this morning to check in.

I'm sorry I even posted about this problem. I'll get it resolved, but won't share the solution with anyone who posts a similar problem on CC, since I'm obviously an idiot and don't know what I'm doing or talking about.

Roz

Online purchases can trigger a denial with the credit card company, if it's outside your normal use pattern. They may waiting for you to call them, or to validate the charge.

This happened to me (not at HAL) yesterday. While I was on the phone with AmEx, I saw an email come through alerting me to the denied the charge, and looking for me to validate that it was me. All I had to do was either reply to the email, or call.

I didn't have any problem calling and it was resolved in under 5 minutes.

Roz

Please don't be sorry. This has been helpful to a lot. I've certainly started a thread to be helpful and regretted it. Ignore those that are giving you a hard time and recognnize that you have helped many :)

Alphen enlightend us all on HAL having a problem doing transfers.

I totally agree on the Credit Card. the tires don't put you up for fraud - at least not in Canada.

I hope you do share your results for those of us that care.

I ofen use a card three or four times in an hour. I do my errands in one general area. I finish one and move next door and use the card again, he pharmacy, , dry cleaner, and casual ttake out restaurant and hardware store are all a hop away from eachother. , I usually park my c ar and do not move it until I am all fiini shed.and r eady to go home. Maybe there is no issue b ecause I deal with these same businesses all the time.

I was trying to book an airline ticket using my Citi card on Citi's own reward travel site. They flagged the transaction as fraud and said that online travel purchases through travel agents are always suspicious. It was very annoying, but I guess it's better to have someone looking out for you than not. The credit card company would be the one who can override the block, if that's what happened.

let's see take 30 seconds to call the cc and get a definitive answer or debate it on Cruuse Critic for a day or two and get 30 opinions but no definitive answer. Oh what should one do?

because if you actually called and got a definitive answer and reported back it would actually convey useful information if the problem is with HAL

otherwise it is all just speculation.

(y)(y)(y) Spot on!!! Always refreshing to see Posts that reflect common sense/logic and not just emotion. Thanks.

• Like 3

What specifically about my posts was illogical and emotional? I merely outlined the sequence of events. AMEX is currently "researching" the problem for me.

Roz

Roz I am about to try to buy something thru the website. From what I remember, the HAL requests the CVV code for any credit card transaction. I will let you know what my experience is.

After a ridiculous amount of piddling around with that horrendous website, I finally found where to buy OBC. When I entered my credit card info, I did not get asked for the CVV, and my transaction completed successfully.

And now I need a nap, after that workout finding what I needed ;)

• Like 1

Bonjour Copper, comment allez vous?

For anyone wanting to know "the rest of the story", here it is.

I called AMEX and they had no record of a failed attempt to use the card, and assured me I could "use it with confidence". I then called HAL EXC tours, but they don't handle airport transfers. The nice lady who took my call transferred me over to HAL Reservations. The lady there told me it may be a website glitch (when have we heard this before), but she looked up my booking number and told me that because I booked with a TA, I had to make the airport transfer reservation thru them. Easy peazy.

OK, I get that, so why doesn't the website say something like "consult your booking agent" rather than "there was an error processing your card"?

To quote the Bard, all's well that ends well. So now we know. Thank you to all who hung in there with me.

Roz

I called AMEX and they had no record of a failed attempt to use the card, and assured me I could "use it with confidence". I then called HAL EXC tours, but they don't handle airport transfers. The nice lady who took my call transferred me over to HAL Reservations. The lady there told me it may be a website glitch (when have we heard this before), but she looked up my booking number and told me that because I booked with a TA, I had to make the airport transfer reservation thru them. Easy peazy.

OK, I get that, so why doesn't the website say something like "consult your booking agent" rather than "there was an error processing your card"?

To quote the Bard, all's well that ends well. So now we know. Thank you to all who hung in there with me.

Roz

Thanks for coming back and reporting, Roz.

It will help others for sure :)

I totally agree with the "consult your booking agent" but, with the problems they are having with the website, it will probably take years before that happens :( ;)

Roz

Tres bien, merci! :D Glad you got to the bottom of this!

Roz

I got the error message on Delta Airlines when I was trying to upgrade once. When I called them, they said it was because the travel agent owned the booking and it had to be done through them. So, this must be a common standard.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/4/2018 at 1:47 PM, kazu said:

I totally agree with the "consult your booking agent" but, with the problems they are having with the website, it will probably take years before that happens 😞 😉

I had a similar issue with my bank's automated teller machine. Instead of a message saying "balance unavailable" the receipt would simply show a balance of $0 in the account. A recipe for disaster if the customer has a weak heart...

We have had this message more than once.  Always when travelling and booking on line purchases in SE Asia and Australia.  Always with airlines.  The card still worked for other purchases and we had on line access to the account. We simply used another card and it was accepted.

We checked on this twice.  Both times our card issuer’s fraud group checked.  The transactions were not refused by our card issuer  They had no record of the transaction ever being presented by the vendor’s bank.  The problem, so we were told, was with the vendor and/or the vendor’s bank.  I do not have enough knowledge to know if this is true or not.

This is the reason why we each travel with three cards and three ways to access credit or cash.

Edited by iancal

As stated earlier in this discussion, this problem has occurred on me several times in the last couple of years, only on booking transfers, all other payments on line at HAL with credit card, do not have the same problem.

Again I tried to book a transfer last weekend and nothing has changed, same problem, resulting in having to call HAL. Calling them quickly solved the payment itself, adding the transfer to the total bill, instead of paying right now, so I don’t have any problem with that, but the credit card issue that lies with HAL, remains.

Looking back at this discussion, my last entry was over a year ago, so this problem has been going on for more than two years. I have put in numerous reports on the problem, but apparently, the IT department has not done anything about it!

Again, it has nothing to do with credit card(s) on customers side, it solely lies with HAL!

Edited by Alphen
  • Like 2