New and Improved CC

3 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Is anyone else having an issue with nothing happening when they hit the Submit Reply button?  

If this posts, it obviously worked this time, but I'm having this sporadic problem on other threads.  

Happened to me on one post a little while ago.  Hasn't happened again.  Maybe they were fixing something at that time.

4 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Is anyone else having an issue with nothing happening when they hit the Submit Reply button?  

If this posts, it obviously worked this time, but I'm having this sporadic problem on other threads.  

I've not seen that issue yet Paul. 

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I've not seen that issue yet Paul. 

It's happening to me right now on the "Hate the new forums format" thread.  Funny thing is, it saves my message when I go back to the thread to try re-posting but still, nothing happens when I try to submit.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Ahh..I never realized that feature existed previously.  I heard some people just bookmarked the threads and did the folders within their browser.  Chrome will carry the bookmarks when you are logged into Google to different devices...but it's not going to be easy to go through every post and put them all back into folders 😞

There were called Subscriptions and you could create a Folder, Name It and save threads within a Folder. Then all you saw when you opened CC were the current Subscriptions that weren't filed anywhere. I had 30+ Folders with threads filed in them.  I never did bookmarks in my browser and used CC folder function. To me this is a big change and a warning that this feature was going away would have been nice. 

After playing with the new CC for a while I have been able to find work arounds for most changes ... Except the loss of the app.  :classic_sad:

The mobile version uses much more data and is much slower than the app, which was based on Tapatalk and very well streamlined.   

Maybe CC will consider bringing it back in the future. 

• Like 2

The pages seem to load even slower now than they did when it was first rolled out. I know it's not my PC because this is the only site that has an issue with. This was happening on the user unfriendly mobil version so I stopped using it because it was draining my battery and eating up data. Now the last day or so the same thing is happening on the desk top. I feel like I'm using my 75MHz Packard Bell from 1995 where this website belongs.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The pages seem to load even slower now than they did when it was first rolled out. I know it's not my PC because this is the only site that has an issue with. This was happening on the user unfriendly mobil version so I stopped using it because it was draining my battery and eating up data. Now the last day or so the same thing is happening on the desk top. I feel like I'm using my 75MHz Packard Bell from 1995 where this website belongs.

I've noticed longer delays but it's not consistent.  Sometimes it's fast. I loaded a page with 30+ pics yesterday in 10 seconds, that was 30 - 40 a few days ago.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Definitely slow. Hope they solve it and also reinstate Tapatalk. Many of the boards have become a vast wasteland. Hope the powers that be fix CC before it is too late. I expect they will or they may soon be disinvited from cruise industry swag. 

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:13 PM, cidercruiser said:

How do you like it? 

It seems much slower to me.   Too many people trying to test at once?   :p

Sadly no Tapatalk support. 

Don't like it at all. Go back to the old format

• Like 1

Much slower and when I want to look at posts for a specific ship I click on it and it brings all the posts with different words.  I just want to look at posts about Anthem not every single post with the words Royal Caribbean Anthem.  This is insane

Much slower and when I want to look at posts for a specific ship I click on it and it brings all the posts with different words.  I just want to look at posts about Anthem not every single post with the words Royal Caribbean Anthem.  This is insane

4 minutes ago, sail2sea said:

How do you manage that?   I am all ears for good tricks.  😎

I don't think there are any real tricks. I have a custom content stream that presents the content I follow and have not read, presented oldest first. I bookmarked that page with a shortcut on my home screen. After reading a post I use the browser back function to return to this list which is updated each time I do. This gradually reduces the list until I'm caught up.

I have made this content stream my default stream so I can always go to the top of the page (tap cc banner menu button twice) and tap the newspaper button (3rd from the right of the blue page toolbar).

I also peruse the All Activity stream to see if there is anything new that interests me. To get there I tap the page banner menu button (rightmost icon on blue page toolbar), then Activity followed by All Activity.

@POA1 posted a helpful howto on creating custom streams (click the missing button (box) in the top left of the post below to open a new tab at that post). Scroll down to see screen grabs for mobile users.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, broberts said:

I don't think there are any real tricks. I have a custom content stream that presents the content I follow and have not read, presented oldest first. I bookmarked that page with a shortcut on my home screen. After reading a post I use the browser back function to return to this list which is updated each time I do. This gradually reduces the list until I'm caught up.

I have made this content stream my default stream so I can always go to the top of the page (tap cc banner menu button twice) and tap the newspaper button (3rd from the right of the blue page toolbar).

I also peruse the All Activity stream to see if there is anything new that interests me. To get there I tap the page banner menu button (rightmost icon on blue page toolbar), then Activity followed by All Activity.

@POA1 posted a helpful howto on creating custom streams (click the missing button (box) in the top left of the post below to open a new tab at that post). Scroll down to see screen grabs for mobile users.

Yep, I already got a simple custom activity stream.  However to make one that is really good for my needs I will have to do that on my laptop from work under my employers watchful eyes.  On my mobile every maneuver has a latency of at least 15 seconds and it takes way too long.  

Another problem is even after i have the stream made it won't be as easily accessible as I'd like.  Because for some reason the forum menu containing the newspaper icon doesn't show when I use my mobile device in portrait.  

Little problems like that add up to my rather unfavorable user experience on a 2 year old device.  On the laptop it works pretty well, I will give them that.  

I do hope the CC gods will change their mind about the app.  

Has anyone found an answer, or figured out why your browser's history feature no longer works with Cruise Critic?      Most browsers, when set up, will turn a URL RED when you have clicked on that line/URL.  

It looks like they insert a number in the URL that constantly changes?

My needs must be simple.  I either like the new format, or maybe I'm just used to it.  I like having more than 6 pics per post, so long as people don't quote the entire thing.  I don't do much on a mobile device but the little bit that I've done in my phone browser works for me with no issues.  I was never a Tapatalk user so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

I do see one bug.  If reading a long thread, I used to right-click on the quote button for a post and open it in a new tab.  I'd then continue reading the rest of the thread.  If someone had later already covered what I was going to say in my quote, I'd just close the new tab.  Otherwise, I'd add my wisdom to the quote in the new tab.  That kept me from having to scroll back to find what I wanted to quote.  Doing a right-click, open in new tab in the new site puts a copy of the entire thread in the new tab, not just the specific post that I want to quote.