Living on the Edge with vtcruising!: A Live Review!

vtcruising

20 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Well, we just need to make friends with those in the Iconic Suites!  Or, the Captain.  :classic_wink:

Hahaha that would be fun, but it still wouldn't get me where I want to be. Outside, at the bow rail, with wind in my hair😉

18 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

VT - Are there any open cabins one can preview on the current cruise? Could you please post a list? Thanks !!!

I don’t think so - I was told it is fully booked. I’m working on loungers or foot rests. I’ll ask about cabins tomorrow. 😀

Really like the balcony - it is partially covered and partially in sun. Seems very private. I think you would have to be at rail to be seen. Love the suite though a little disappointed about the bed - will still see ocean just fine sideways.😀it does make for a better flow in bath I think. I’ll try to post some balcony pix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Problems with Luminae - everyone showed up for lunch at once/ hostess is amazing - some guests not so much. 20 minute wait - we went to the Retreat for another drink and they called when table ready. Enjoying a lovely meal- everyone remembered us. Great service!!

some people unhappy that no bathroom on this floor. Can go up to 14 or 15.

AA8EFABC-4358-4143-AE97-FB2B52401B3E.thumb.jpeg.9ed0bec9e4c56c81569bc24add4571ad.jpeg

Marilyn, is Katya the Hostess? Do you know the name of the Manager in Luminae?

16 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I don’t think so - I was told it is fully booked. I’m working on loungers or foot rests. I’ll ask about cabins tomorrow. 😀

Really like the balcony - it is partially covered and partially in sun. Seems very private. I think you would have to be at rail to be seen. Love the suite though a little disappointed about the bed - will still see ocean just fine sideways.😀it does make for a better flow in bath I think. I’ll try to post some balcony pix. 

Thanks for trying to get the loungers. You can tell the Butler he can just leave them there for future “Club” members. 😁

On 11/30/2018 at 9:36 AM, vtcruising said:

She did like many things about it, but had a list of what she considered design issues. Since she was so detailed, I recommended that she outline everything to Celebrity so that they would have her feedback.

I didn't write it down, but the lack of loungers really bothered her (and everyone else I have spoken to so far in a suite - I think they start having loungers in the PH suites). She said that they expect to lay in lounge chairs some of the time on cruises, pay a premium to have a private balcony and expect loungers. I think they usually do Royal Suites on Celebrity and was amazed to tour the one here that didn't have a lounger. I think the size of the bathtub (smallish) bothered her. She mentioned that there wouldn't be a way to share this suite with anyone else, unless you were close and didn't care about privacy. The bedroom isn't really separate/private because the concept was to keep it open.

She had a funny experience in the bathroom, which is separated into its own space. She was in there and the lights suddenly went off (green initiative) and it was completely dark. It was a little scary until she figured how to get out.  She thought of elderly people not knowing what to do, if suddenly plunged into darkness. My DH let her know that you can disable the green features on the panel (he wondered why the cabin was too warm when he came back from some place - always 2 degrees higher than the set number - I heard in a lecture from LLP that when you leave the cabin, the thermostat goes up 2 degrees to save energy). Apparently lights go off at a certain time as well. Good features, but good to know about. 😊

I think she enjoyed her experience in the CS in many ways (she liked the living area and large balcony), but just wanted to give some feedback to me. She reads CC some so maybe she will read this and expand upon it.

I went back to get more pictures:

not mirror art - protecting 

Thanks Marilyn.  I appreciate the feedback and the CS pictures.  My DW in particular will not be happy to be in a high-priced suite without loungers on the balcony.  What were they thinking (or not thinking)?

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 3:01 PM, Freestyle Cruiser said:

Back from Edge 2-day pre-cruise Nov 27-29.

Hi VTcruising, Jealous your going again tomorrow. Bon voyage!

In response to TeeRick, Yes, the Edge CS room is gorgeous and spacious. The suite amenities are the best. Luminae is a joy.

There were too many pillows! You had to move pillows to sit on the couch and balcony chairs. With space at a premium, it was contradictory to function. There is no longer a full “L” shaped couch. There is a large square ottoman in front of the glass door. The vinyl covered rocking chair was not comfortable for us. We would prefer a regular swivel chair like they show in the edge villa in a luxury fabric like the solstice class ships. We thought there was too much furniture in the salon, but not as comfortable as compared to prior ships, Silhouette, Equinox and Reflection.  

The 2 balcony chairs were thick cushioned vinyl and very comfortable. Had to remove pillows to sit. There was a small table and 2 additional small chairs that you could move to act as a foot rest. Touring the suites showed only the Edge Villas had 2 loungers. The loungers are why many cruise this line. Not everyone goes to the pool for any number of reasons. The CS and SS suites would be knock outs, if they just give us back our balcony loungers and foot rests.

The CS lighting was confusing.. The powder room lights go out after a time, which was “unexpected” J. There is a night light on the cabinet, so not pitch dark, but still unexpected. Also the makeup desk lights did not turn on sometimes and we found they are on the main control by the cabin door. Suggest the room steward explain the 1st day.

LOTS of nice storage bins with a long counter top and 3 big drawers in main salon. The cabinet and closet doors required a good pull to open. No handles or knobs, just recessed finger pulls.  There is a 2’ wide closet just inside the cabin door with rods.

The bedroom was beautiful and luxurious. The bed is firm and comfortable with silky sheets and the best ever new pillows. There is 3’ wide hanging closet a full upper rod and a partial lower rod. The adjacent cabinet has 3 big drawers and a safe. There were luxurious grey robes with terry fleece and two pair of Frette slippers. These were the nicest by far.

The makeup/desk was GREAT. The desk top lifts to expose a regular mirror and round magnified mirror so you can easily see close and far!  The hair dryer is loose and can be used anywhere. There was a USB port and 2 regular electrical outlets at the desk. Bring a portable speaker if you want music. We used the ipad.

The bathroom tub is too narrow with a partial glass door. The tub bottom had sloped sides, which DH said made it hard to stand. Water splashes off you’re your body and drips down your arms outside as you shower. This cabin will need lots of floor towels and we felt bad for the room steward. We thought this was very poor design for any bathroom, let alone a luxury suite on a brand NEW ship!! This needs to go back to the drawing board or add a shower curtain.

The fancy white tissue box sits on the sink counter and hogs all the counter space. I would move this. There were 2 towel bars on the tub wall. There was a small pin by each sink to hold a hand towel. We suggest towel bars and a shelf behind the toilet like the older ships.

IMO, the glass doors between the bedroom and salon make this cabin not realistic for two couples or 4 adults unless you are VERY VERY close. We were 2 people. You can’t see through the glass, even with the light on, but it’s not a wall and you can hear more than if there was a wall. I think the solid wall between the rooms like the solstice class CS had was better for privacy and dual use of the room. Then the couch can be a full couch again with more seating and the bedroom can be private again. The door can enter from the unused hall, rather than eat up space in the couch area. And with the solid door, the bedroom can be dark if you want to sleep during the day. The other Edge CS design that was once considered, which looked more like the Signature Suite, may also be a better option. I look forward to see what other CS cabin cruisers have to say.  

The Retreat, Eden, artwork, gym and all the dining options are amazing. The main spaces surrounding Café el Baccio are full of life and inviting. We loved the ship and will be back. I hope the review seen as positive critique that the designers can use to make it better.

Thanks for the awesome mini-review of the CS.  It is strange that Celebrity can never get the bathtub right.  The CS on M-Class has a very high bathtub right up against the toilet which is very difficult to climb in and out.  On S-Class they moved the toilet out a bit but the tub is still too high.  I agree that I would like a solid wall better than opaque glass.

2 hours ago, mit429 said:

Thanks so much for getting these pictures - so excited to be in my aft S1.

Could you do a favor and post a picture of the room from the door facing out towards the balcony, just to get an idea as to how much space is there?

VT, ditto on a pic of the room from the door facing the balcony. I would like to get a sense of the width of 11268. If you get the video uploading problem solved, it would be great to see some panoramic footage of the cabin.  I feel guilty adding to the lengthy list of requests you find every time you logon, but you are so good and kind  about filling them that it is hard to resist.  You are such a huge help to us. 

Oh, about your experience with the Steakhouse Margarita with A1 at the Roof Top Grill -  sources tell me that it has been replaced with the Rusty Bolt Margarita, seasoned with WD-40.  It is supposed to go down very smoothly!  I’m sure that Maike would be happy to serve you one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

8AA30296-8FB8-4E19-96DF-5EA50AA87086.thumb.jpeg.2e698b6ccab0adb4e91c2d37373359e3.jpeg8C4D153E-ED51-4C51-BA24-C764D17A0166.thumb.jpeg.68b7dfed1c6f9d9760f1b07938cb1d9d.jpegHere’s a couple of S1 aft balcony. I’ll work on more 

Marilyn,

Thanks so much for these pics of the balcony...plenty of room for loungers and people.  Hopefully, Celebrity will get the hint that all this space needs more furniture.  It is also nice to be able to have some sun too!

Hope the entrance to the cabin door is nice like the S1’s, as it makes it more private and quiet too!

Edited by Lastdance

57 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks Marilyn.  I appreciate the feedback and the CS pictures.  My DW in particular will not be happy to be in a high-priced suite without loungers on the balcony.  What were they thinking (or not thinking)?

Well, some of us can try and bring our own lounge chairs and hopefully not be called down to the 'Naughty Room'... LOL

Then again, it is a dream of mine to be on the otherside of the table when passengers come to pick up their items or not... LOL

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks so much for this VT!! Balcony looks great!! but I'm definitely going to be bringing some loungers onto it! it looks empty!  love the amount of sunlight. I have a feeling I'm only going to like the AFT rooms on the EDGE.. the IV is just looking so dark to me as its a part of the room.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Marilyn,

Thanks so much for these pics of the balcony...plenty of room for loungers and people.  Hopefully, Celebrity will get the hint that all this space needs more furniture.  It is also nice to be able to have some sun too!

Hope the entrance to the cabin door is nice like the S1’s, as it makes it more private and quiet too!

Have to open two doors to get in since alcove connected to SV next door.

yes people have said they have had comments about balcony furniture.

Edited by vtcruising

4 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Sorry fellow roll call peeps - my stateroom sprung a leak and I’ve been dealing with that. The Tom-Tom was made for such emergencies, I guess. Sorry I didn’t make it for drinks - later!!!

oh no! lol! the surprises of a new ship! just leaking onto the carpet or your bed?