RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

9 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I wonder what effect, if any, this program will have on price drops be after final payment date. Instead of lowering prices to fill the ship they will have folks bidding on them

Agree, probably even fewer deals on the Thursday flyer.

16 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I wonder what effect, if any, this program will have on price drops be after final payment date. Instead of lowering prices to fill the ship they will have folks bidding on them

Depends.  They have a lot of historical knowledge with respect to which cruises will sell which cabin types and when.   

There is likely no advantage for Royal to prefer to sell through RoyalUP.  A published cabin available openly can capture folks not yet booked on the cruise.  RoyalUP only applies to those already booked.   Adding new blood is always better than moving people around.  More wallets to spend money onboard on other things.  

Folks looking for cheap deals on interior or OV may find it's relatively the same.  

Folks looking for a last minute WS might not find them, or may find them but at a higher price now because RoyalUP becomes a fall back should a <90 day WS fail to sell at a near normal price.  The benefit paying for a WS (if made available) would be double C&A points. 

If you chance it and hope for a RoyalUP suite coming from a non-suite, no double C&A.  That might make a few people trying to level up motivated to splurge just a bit more and pay a higher rate for a published WS compared to hoping to score a single point suite upgrade through RoyalUP.  

Only time will tell.  

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

... RoyalUP only applies to those already booked.   Adding new blood is always better than moving people around.  More wallets to spend money onboard on other things. ...

I would think that those who move up are freeing up space for new blood.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

I would think that those who move up are freeing up space for new blood.

Exactly. For those interested in lower categories that are sold out and don't want to or can't afford to spend more especially on their first cruise.

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

I guess this could also impact those that like to upgrade themselves after final payment when and if the price drops

I have been looking everyday to see if any suites become available for our OA sailing this month.  I am thinking IF one does become available instead of releasing it to the public they will pick someone that has bid on it.  I got zero offers

Yeesh, took me a while to get current on this thread...

We're sailing a 12 night on the Anthem in March and everyone in our group (5 people across three cabins - one in a single) got a RoyalUp email first thing Wednesday morning - we were at 95 days out when the emails were sent.  Hubby and I are currently booked in an ocean view balcony (6D) and decided to take a shot at upgrades to the Owner's Suite and the Sky Loft Suite (go big or go home - not bothering with the JS or the GS, both of which were also offered to us).  If we don't get it, we're pretty happy with our regular balcony location and we save the cost of the upgrade - if we do get it, we'll be spending our ten year anniversary and his 40th birthday in killer style for a FRACTION of what those cabins would have cost full price.  I was going to go minimum bids, but decided to tack a little extra on both (I actually went all the way to a 'fair' bid on the owners suite! 🤣).  And, yes, both classes are still showing as available on our ship.  I'm not holding my breath, but it's fun to have a shot (however slim) at something that I'd normally never be able to afford.

I'll definitely be interested to see how this program pans out...if it sticks around for a while or goes the way of Dynamic Dining! 

Edited by groveml

5 hours ago, sdear said:

I am one of those.   We leave tomorrow.  An email that says " you lose" or something would be nice lol.  At least I can say I tried it,  wont do it again unless the ship is half empty.   

If I get the chance, I'll play.  It's not like it costs to bid.  Not yet😉

5 hours ago, molly361 said:

Brilliant idea

1 hour ago, groveml said:

Yeesh, took me a while to get current on this thread...

We're sailing a 12 night on the Anthem in March and everyone in our group (5 people across three cabins - one in a single) got a RoyalUp email first thing Wednesday morning - we were at 95 days out when the emails were sent.  Hubby and I are currently booked in an ocean view balcony (6D) and decided to take a shot at upgrades to the Owner's Suite and the Sky Loft Suite (go big or go home - not bothering with the JS or the GS, both of which were also offered to us).  If we don't get it, we're pretty happy with our regular balcony location and we save the cost of the upgrade - if we do get it, we'll be spending our ten year anniversary and his 40th birthday in killer style for a FRACTION of what those cabins would have cost full price.  I was going to go minimum bids, but decided to tack a little extra on both (I actually went all the way to a 'fair' bid on the owners suite! 🤣).  And, yes, both classes are still showing as available on our ship.  I'm not holding my breath, but it's fun to have a shot (however slim) at something that I'd normally never be able to afford.

I'll definitely be interested to see how this program pans out...if it sticks around for a while or goes the way of Dynamic Dining! 

Our Feb Oasis cruise still has 15-16 suites up on deck 17.  No offer notice.

10 hours ago, sdear said:

I am one of those.   We leave tomorrow.  An email that says " you lose" or something would be nice lol.  At least I can say I tried it,  wont do it again unless the ship is half empty.   

We got an email

confirming our bid was unsuccessful.   Maybe check your spam folder to see if it went there?  

On 11/28/2018 at 5:46 PM, A&L_Ont said:

This is one of my offers for January on Allure. I didn’t bother bidding as we have a nice enough cabin already and who needs the RLS for two. Let’s not fool ourselves either, that minimum price isn’t get gonna get the job done.  Especially when you know where got in and what the cabins usually average for pricing. 

I think RC is treating this more as a Hedge Fund, or a Hedge Cabin. Someone backs out before, or after final payment and RC  have a list of potential people looking to anti up.  They don’t even have to spend time calling future guests. 

Those prices are in Canadian as well.

017279FF-C99A-4BD0-894E-E1A3CEEA313C.thumb.jpeg.96ed303089fa6e8ddab571032f248494.jpeg

Do you mind me asking which room type you are currently booked in?