Central Park.... bees?

While they don't stock Central Park with any birds, bees or other critters it is open to all that care to drop by.  No guarantee there won't be bugs.  

I had a very interesting tour with Laszlo who has looked at all of them at one point and they restricted in what pesticides and fertilizers they can use.  Birds are free to come and go and some do hitch a ride for a few days.  

It's unlikely there will be any bees but you never know.   

• Haha 1

It is unlikely. They seem to mostly have foliage plants in Central Park, and not a lot of flowers. There is nothing to stop a bee from visiting while the ship is docked, but I think that it would be unusual. And there don't seem to be that many bees on most of the Caribbean islands. I know that Cozumel has government traps out for Africanized honeybees, but I don't know if they have had much of a problem. And even Africanized bees are not aggressive when they are out solo scouting. 

@bobbie0253 - I, also, have a severe bee allergy (amongst other critters) and I have not yet seen a bee (or any like - hornet, wasp, etc.) in Central Park.  I *have* had the sometimes visitor when docked on an ocean-view balcony so I would suggest a bit of caution when the ship is stationary (also, on pool deck, on Allure, the pool nearest the bar - I've seen yellow-jackets or similar there as well as the seating nearest the bar).  Underway, though, generally I've found it pretty safe overall.

• Like 1

Never seen bees in Central Park.  However, a few years ago on GR we were docked in St Thomas and a swarm of bees came and landed on the canopy over a hot tub in the pool area.  They brought in a vacuum and sucked them up after a lot of discussion.  There were hundreds of them, obviously looking for a new home.  That's the only time we've ever seen bees on a ship.  We were seated in a lounger about 20 feet from them and watched the crew deal with it. 

In November on Oasis, I did have a bee trying to pester me on the Boardwalk for about 10 minutes (kept trying to get into my drink). We were in port (not sure which port, sorry), so it obviously was a land-based bee that had flown onto the ship. Other than that single pesky bee, I never saw a bee on our two Oasis sailings (and definitely didn’t see any in Central Park.)  

1 minute ago, diesel1973 said:

How about bears?? I am highly allergic to them. When I got bit by one in Alaska I nearly ended up in the hospital!!!

Bear bites are easy to avoid.   Just carry a walking stick with a little bell attached.

As an aside, do you know how to tell black bear scat from grizzly bear scat?

Answer:

Grizzly bear scat has little bells in it.

9 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

Bear bites are easy to avoid.   Just carry a walking stick with a little bell attached.

As an aside, do you know how to tell black bear scat from grizzly bear scat?

Answer:

Grizzly bear scat has little bells in it.

LOL...yes the joke in Alaska is to carry pepper spray and a ring of bells to fend off the bears.  Can always indeed tell bear poop from the little bells and smelling like pepper.  😄 

Living in the swamps of Florida...we tend to side step the Alligators...who like to parade back and forth in our back yard.  That is when I refrain from filling the back yard bird feeder at that time.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

Never seen a bee.  There are strick rules on what plants they can use in Central Park.  The number one criteria is how likely they will attract "pests" that could be potentially brought back to the United States.  Originally, when the Oasis was first launched they had palm trees in Central Park.  A few months later, the gov't changed their minds as they determined they could attract pests.  The trees had to be incinerated.  Once a live plant is on-board, it can not be removed and used on land.  It either has to be repurposed on-board or destroyed.

I learned this while taking a tour of Central Park presented by an on-board horticultrailist.  It just so happened he was the head horticultralist on-board when the Oasis was launched.  Through trial and error he had to work out which plants would work where in Central Park and still meet gov't rules.  The on-shore horticulatrists had a planting plan, however due to various micro-climates in Central Park he had to make adjustments.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:26 AM, bobbie0253 said:

Sorry if this seems like a silly question but has anyone ever seen bees in Central Park? 

I have a child with a severe bee allergy so I’m curious 😯

We sailed once on Allure and 3 times on Harmony and Central Park was our favourite area of the ship where we spent several hours a day, breakfast,lunch and dinner time and never once saw any bees or wasps.

There was a couple of mosquitoes,fly's and birds on our ocean view balcony.

Haven't seen any in Central Park.  However, have seen swarms of bees on poles of mini golf courses on several smaller ships.  Crew said it happens often.  Also know people who had swarms on their balcony.  These were honeybees.  Crew takes care of them immediately. 

I have bee allergies and was not concerned as the bees had no interest in people.

17 minutes ago, lakelorain said:

Haven't seen any in Central Park.  However, have seen swarms of bees on poles of mini golf courses on several smaller ships.  Crew said it happens often.  Also know people who had swarms on their balcony.  These were honeybees.  Crew takes care of them immediately. 

I have bee allergies and was not concerned as the bees had no interest in people.

Tell that to those bees that have stung me.

Edited by davekathy

I've never seen bees, and have very rarely seen any insects at all on board any ship. Of course you're not likely get a 100% guarantee on anything like that. Therefore, it's important to have your plan in place. Carry your Epi-pen, and know who to contact in the event of an emergency. Please don't stop your child from living. Just learn and teach him/her to live as safely as possible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, payitforward said:

I've never seen bees, and have very rarely seen any insects at all on board any ship. Of course you're not likely get a 100% guarantee on anything like that. Therefore, it's important to have your plan in place. Carry your Epi-pen, and know who to contact in the event of an emergency. Please don't stop your child from living. Just learn and teach him/her to live as safely as possible.

That is really good advice.