I Cancelled My Journey on the Edge...

Georgia_Peaches

6 hours ago, kkmiausa said:

Why don't you call either your Travel Agent or Celebrity and ask if you can change to a different location after reading reviews? 

Have had a good look at all available cabins in our price range and don't like the location of any of them - will keep my eyes open and keep checking over the coming months incase it changes. Don't want to go 'out of the frying pan and in to the fire!' :-)

14 hours ago, deeva211 said:

"What it lacked compared to other cabins (the secret shoe cabinet, the drawers in the safe closet, the shelves on both sides of the mirror in the bathroom, the tiny hanging closet and the drawer under the sink)"

I'm a little confused...trying to envision these items in the S class ships, or do you mean these are features in some of the Edge class cabins but not in the concierge cabin you were in?  If you mean the S class, where was the shoe cabinet?  Been on every ship in this class and would love to know what I missed...LOL.

On 12/28/2018 at 1:23 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

So, for now at least, I'm going to back off the Edge and wait a while to see how both reviews and prices shape up over the next year.  Maybe by then the price will have stabilized along with some of the reported issues so that we can consider her again in the future. Many thanks to those who have taken precious vacation time to document their journey.  I will continue to read and follow along and wish all my fellow X cruisers safe travels.

On the pricing, any new ship, especially a new class ship will be higher, often much higher than the rest of a line's fleet.  That's to be expected.  As for what you expect to have on a ship, well that's personal preference and if the things you listed are a 'must have' then you certainly made the right choice for yourself.   

The biggest drawback for us on the Edge is the lack of shade on the pool decks.  They're basically wide open to the sun from what we can see from all the reports.  There's a few shade spots, but not nearly as much as what you would find on the Solstice class ships.  We've opted to sail on the "Revolutionized" Equinox in September instead of booking the Edge.  We're honestly much more interested in the new Virgin Scarlet Lady than the Edge at this time.  

The Edge is a beautiful ship, we saw her in Port Everglades when we returned from our most recent sailing last month, but at the moment, we're very content with the Solstice class ships and especially their world class bar!  Happy Sailing!

Edited by creativegenius
typo

1 hour ago, oceangoer2 said:

I'm a little confused...trying to envision these items in the S class ships, or do you mean these are features in some of the Edge class cabins but not in the concierge cabin you were in?  If you mean the S class, where was the shoe cabinet?  Been on every ship in this class and would love to know what I missed...LOL. 

Yes, the typical IV cabin on the Edge has these things.  The accessible does not.

I haven't sailed with Celebrity in a few years but I had put a deposit down for EDGE a while back. (The sailing was for Jan). I cancelled the cruise a few months ago and to be honest, after reading many of the reviews I am glad I did.  Sounds like there are many changes that don't appeal to me as well as glitches that still need to be worked out.

I think after sailing on 3  small ships over the past few years has given me pause on the big ones again as well.

23 hours ago, Lastdance said:

However, you discount the fact that many of us know these people through their writings on CC, and that is a huge plus, especially if the issues are important. They bring up interesting points of view that I have may not considered.  I am not canceling my TA, because I too want to see it for myself, but I also give creedence to many who post information that I personally feel is valuable due to knowing their particular ways of providing factual information.  A lot of that information I have personally validated myself when cruising.  I hope that makes sense to you...and if you are tetering anyway, the information validate concerns.

Marilyn(VT) provided so much information before, during and after her cruises, as I know you valued her information too!  It is all about the value that individual has based on the multitude of information they have given that adds to the value...at least that is how I see it.  

You are right of course.  There are a number of posters here who I find offer valuable opinions.  I "know" them through their posting history.  A few I have met in person on cruises we shared.  All I was trying to say was that a lot of misinformation gets spread on these boards too.  There are posters who offer their opinions (which is their right) on Edge but are basing it on other peoples opinions while having no actual experience themselves.  Those are the ones that I personally choose to value less and I certainly would not cancel a cruise based on their comments.  That is just me- and anybody can value or discount my perspective too.   After I cruise next month on Edge I will share my experience here.  It might be of value to some and of no value to others as it is a single experience from a single poster.  It will be the collective opinions of perhaps hundreds of reviews on regular Edge sailings that will eventually tell the tale over time.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

You are right of course.  There are a number of posters here who I find offer valuable opinions.  I "know" them through their posting history.  A few I have met in person on cruises we shared.  All I was trying to say was that a lot of misinformation gets spread on these boards too.  There are posters who offer their opinions (which is their right) on Edge but are basing it on other peoples opinions while having no actual experience themselves.  Those are the ones that I personally choose to value less and I certainly would not cancel a cruise based on their comments.  That is just me- and anybody can value or discount my perspective too.   After I cruise next month on Edge I will share my experience here.  It might be of value to some and of no value to others as it is a single experience from a single poster.  It will be the collective opinions of perhaps hundreds of reviews on regular Edge sailings that will eventually tell the tale over time.

I will be awaiting your review, after cruising Edge in January, as I do not do my TA until the end of April.  Having the benefit of reading so many reviews allows me to put things in perspective, and I believe that so many of us gain useful information.  Sometimes we also see the humor in situations due to the way these are presented in reviews that make us laugh.  Furthermore, it is a great and rewarding experience to meet these people onbaord, putting a face to a name, and really understanding that individual, along with their own perspective even clearer.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3

I never make decisions primarily based on strangers reviews.  I also personally know many really picky and fussy people that you can never please.  It's a new ship with new concepts.  If you were looking for the same S class experience in the same way then I agree always travel on older ships you know.  Since I'm not buying the ship just sailing for 7 days I'm willing to take a leap that people doing reviews have very particular NEEDS and I can live through all the changes with an open mind.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RDC1 said:

Because Celebrity is trying to appeal to a different demographic group and to do that they need a consistent brand.  It is pretty much an all in strategy.

Yes and they are already putting the Edge features on the other ships without seeing how they are  accepted on the Edge. I can only say that do not remember such a negative reaction to a class or ship as the Edge  and my experience goes back to the intro of the Horizon.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Floater4life said:

Since I'm not buying the ship just sailing for 7 days I'm willing to take a leap that people doing reviews have very particular NEEDS and I can live through all the changes with an open mind.  

I respect your opinion, but, having spent a great deal of time writing a review of my last cruise, I disagree that ALL reviewers have very particular NEEDS. In my case, I (and my DH) certainly had WANTS when we boarded that ship, but we’d traveled enough to go with the flow when things didn’t always go as planned. I tried very hard to write a balanced review about our experiences on that cruise.  I’ve read plenty of reviews that I’ve discounted, for precisely the reasons you mentioned. I’ve also read plenty of reviews that were thoughtful, balanced and quite helpful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

There are posters who offer their opinions (which is their right) on Edge but are basing it on other peoples opinions while having no actual experience themselves.  Those are the ones that I personally choose to value less and I certainly would not cancel a cruise based on their comments.

I completely agree.  I would never cancel (or book) a cruise based on opinions of those who have never even experienced the ship, itinerary, excursion etc. for themselves.  And you can certainly find many arm chair experts on these boards who offer up opinions about which they have no personal experience.  For me, canceling boiled down to the apprehension I felt (as opposed to excitement) over some of the Edgeisms that have been reported as fact (like the impractical balcony furniture), rather than opinion.  I had to weigh the cost against what I think I would find disappointing and decided to take a wait and see approach.  My DH has "caught" me continuing to explore Edge reviews and pictures/videos and is concerned that I have regrets about canceling.  I don't have any right now but it's not going to stop me from continuing to draw from the experiences and excitement of others who will embark on the Edge.  I'm really rooting for this ship but would rather see for myself and a lower price point which I think would make having even a little bit of disappointment easier to swallow.

• Like 1

I've followed along with some pretty thorough and balanced reviews of the recently launched Celebrity Edge.  I am ever so appreciative of the comprehensive pictures, details, and even personalized answers to individual questions that have been provided by VTCruising and a few others.  It pains me to admit that the closer I got to final payment, which was 12/26, the less excited I felt about this ship.  And that's HUGE considering that on any given day, I'd trade my first born for an opportunity to get away on a cruise...ok, well maybe not my first born, but you get the idea.  After reading everything I could get my eyes on, I remained troubled about spending $7k on an S2 on the Edge.  Recent pricing for my March 31 sailing on Edge has S2's at $5500pp so by those prices, my $7k was a pretty good deal (we booked in August, 2017).  But later in the year (2019), DH and I are booked in a RS on Silhouette for 9 nights and the cost of that is still less than current S2 pricing on Edge.  There are certain things I've come to count on when traveling on an S class ship and in a suite...that I don't think have quite translated over to the Edge.  To name a few... 

• a balcony table that's big enough to have breakfast
  • balcony loungers or comfortable seating
  • a ship library
  • intimate cocktail lounge areas ideal for conversation
  • reasonable charge for Thermal suite pass

I agree wholeheartedly.  Pricing was a major consideration for us but when the real time pics of the balcony seating were released live, that sealed, or unsealed, the deal for us.  We have a B2B booked for October 2019 on the Summit and we're hoping X doesn't meddle with the balcony furnishings too much (maybe replace with like chairs) since we'll be sailing post-edgy modifications.

I read reviews and take information as subjective.  Even renderings may not always turn out the same in real life but when pictures reveal true balcony furnishings and the balcony is where I spend most of my time as does OP, then I will stay away from Edge and Apex.  And I know there are those who will encourage me to do so leaving cabins available for those who love the E class but for now, I am walking away from the Edge.  I will keep eyes on what's next out of Bayonne and continue to enjoy the Summit (hopefully).

I've followed along with some pretty thorough and balanced reviews of the recently launched Celebrity Edge.  I am ever so appreciative of the comprehensive pictures, details, and even personalized answers to individual questions that have been provided by VTCruising and a few others.  It pains me to admit that the closer I got to final payment, which was 12/26, the less excited I felt about this ship.  And that's HUGE considering that on any given day, I'd trade my first born for an opportunity to get away on a cruise...ok, well maybe not my first born, but you get the idea.  After reading everything I could get my eyes on, I remained troubled about spending $7k on an S2 on the Edge.  Recent pricing for my March 31 sailing on Edge has S2's at $5500pp so by those prices, my $7k was a pretty good deal (we booked in August, 2017).  But later in the year (2019), DH and I are booked in a RS on Silhouette for 9 nights and the cost of that is still less than current S2 pricing on Edge.  There are certain things I've come to count on when traveling on an S class ship and in a suite...that I don't think have quite translated over to the Edge.  To name a few... 

• a balcony table that's big enough to have breakfast
  • balcony loungers or comfortable seating
  • a ship library
  • intimate cocktail lounge areas ideal for conversation
  • reasonable charge for Thermal suite pass

I agree wholeheartedly.  Pricing was a major consideration for us but when the real time pics of the balcony seating were released live, that sealed, or unsealed, the deal for us.  We have a B2B booked for October 2019 on the Summit and we're hoping X doesn't meddle with the balcony furnishings too much (maybe replace with like chairs) since we'll be sailing post-edgy modifications.

I read reviews and take information as subjective.  Even renderings may not always turn out the same in real life but when pictures reveal true balcony furnishings and the balcony is where I spend most of my time as does OP, then I will stay away from Edge and Apex.  And I know there are those who will encourage me to do so leaving cabins available for those who love the E class but for now, I am walking away from the Edge.  I will keep eyes on what's next out of Bayonne and continue to enjoy the Summit (hopefully).

22 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Yes and they are already putting the Edge features on the other ships without seeing how they are  accepted on the Edge. I can only say that do not remember such a negative reaction to a class or ship as the Edge  and my experience goes back to the intro of the Horizon.

So how do you actually know what Edge features will be put on other ships?  Not much has actually been shared yet. Celebrity announced major renovations (the Revolution) and Millennium is the first in line in January.  We will see what happens to her.  Leaked deck plans on another thread show some additional cabins and restaurant choices being added and of course the Retreat features for suites. IMO the M-Class ships frankly need some refreshing (and more restaurants) and I am happy that Celebrity is making the investment.  The word is that there will be whole cabin replacements, but I am betting that they will be traditional and not infinite verandas as others have pointed out due to engineering.  S-Class will be refreshed but not as extensive.  All good news to me.  We will have refreshed M-Class and S-Class ships which might share perhaps a few new ideas or restaurants from Edge/Apex.  So I will have a lot of good buying choices with Celebrity over the next few years.  I can choose the refreshed old favorites if I am not sold on the bolder Edge after my cruise in January.

24 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So how do you actually know what Edge features will be put on other ships?  Not much has actually been shared yet. Celebrity announced major renovations (the Revolution) and Millennium is the first in line in January.  We will see what happens to her.  Leaked deck plans on another thread show some additional cabins and restaurant choices being added and of course the Retreat features for suites. IMO the M-Class ships frankly need some refreshing (and more restaurants) and I am happy that Celebrity is making the investment.  The word is that there will be whole cabin replacements, but I am betting that they will be traditional and not infinite verandas as others have pointed out due to engineering.  S-Class will be refreshed but not as extensive.  All good news to me.  We will have refreshed M-Class and S-Class ships which might share perhaps a few new ideas or restaurants from Edge/Apex.  So I will have a lot of good buying choices with Celebrity over the next few years.  I can choose the refreshed old favorites if I am not sold on the bolder Edge after my cruise in January.

Yes. X announced that the cabins on the M class ships will be “stripped down to the bare walls”,  rebuilt and refurbished, however due to structural limitations the IV windows would not be added.

And, I agree, choices are a good thing!

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Thanks 1

Have been sailing Celebrity since the late 90's for something in the range of 350 days total.

I'm sure Edge class will find supporters (and thus cruisers).  Enough new features to attract, potentially, a new class of cruiser.  But will it be enough to offset the class of cruisers that are not interested.  Look how many cancellations are on these threads.  Heaven knows how many won't even consider it (ourselves among this class).

Although we still have a few =X= cruises booked, we are largely making the move toward the mid-range ships (Oceania, Azamara, Viking).  Yes, more expense for sure, but more of what we cruise for.  Much better itineraries, more well-traveled pax, better food, quieter atmosphere, less huckstering.

Edge class is simply too hokey for our tastes.  IV cabins (almost universally a flop),  Eden, Flying Carpet, et. al. are not what traveling is about for us.  There still will likely be some Celebrity cruises in our future, but not on Edge class.

I too have decided to take the majority of comments I've read with a grain of salt and still experience it for myself. One of the reasons I am not re-evaluating for our March sailing is because we are booked in an S2 at a great price in comparison to the current costs. It's more than we have spent on any cruise, but it's the first suite we've booked so I am eager to try Edge and the suite experience. If we were booked in an IV, I would feel MUCH differently because while the concept was enticing in the beginning, in the end I don't think I will like that closed-in feeling on Edge as opposed to balcony openness on the other ships. I don't like how small the "balcony" will look/feel. I don't like that the captain can control whether or not I am able to enjoy the fresh air on my "balcony" and I would not like that the window must be up for the A/C to work. All those are deal breakers for the IV for me. If I sail Edge again it will either need to be in a suite (which may not always be feasible) or an aft SV that has a regular balcony. If we had booked an IV on this ship to begin with I would have thought about switching to Silhouette and waiting Edge out.

Lack of adequate deck furniture is disappointing, but not enough to make me turn away from the ship. The removal of Thermal Suites use for Elite passengers on a port day is also disappointing but I am hoping the Retreat will help make up for that for this particular cruise. I do have concerns about where our "spot" will be bar-wise before dinner as we really enjoyed World Class (more so Molecular before the switch over). We loved the martini bar before it turned into the place to be, but it got too crowded and found ourselves at the Molecular bar from then on. With the martini bar now being in the center of the ship (definitely too crowded and loud) and not wanting to go outside to enjoy a drink at the Sunset Bar, I'm hoping we'll find an alternative that works. Eden is probably going to be too weird for us, but I will decide on board if it is a space we would prefer to avoid. We're excited and going to give it a try, but I totally get canceling if there's too many "take-aways" for you. They didn't take too much away from what I previously enjoyed, so if there's anything I find that the ship is lacking, I am hoping the new things about Edge will make up for it.

When we booked our S3, a S2 on the similar date and same itinerary on the Equinox was the same price. We were able to convert an onboard booking so we got $550 OBC + the Travel Agency OBC. 

Would I cancel if I had paid 10k+ for a Sky Suite with the reviews? Probably. .But Booking at $5.5k out the door for both of us, and I was able to book real cheap flights and cheap pre-stay hotel, I'm ok with the gamble.

But I so wish we could have some decent patio furniture for the balcony!!! That would make our cruise I think.

And I am really excited by the Market discovery in Cozumel we have booked...

Edited by angelhelly

2 hours ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

I too have decided to take the majority of comments I've read with a grain of salt and still experience it for myself. One of the reasons I am not re-evaluating for our March sailing is because we are booked in an S2 at a great price in comparison to the current costs. It's more than we have spent on any cruise, but it's the first suite we've booked so I am eager to try Edge and the suite experience. If we were booked in an IV, I would feel MUCH differently because while the concept was enticing in the beginning, in the end I don't think I will like that closed-in feeling on Edge as opposed to balcony openness on the other ships. I don't like how small the "balcony" will look/feel. I don't like that the captain can control whether or not I am able to enjoy the fresh air on my "balcony" and I would not like that the window must be up for the A/C to work. All those are deal breakers for the IV for me. If I sail Edge again it will either need to be in a suite (which may not always be feasible) or an aft SV that has a regular balcony. If we had booked an IV on this ship to begin with I would have thought about switching to Silhouette and waiting Edge out.

Lack of adequate deck furniture is disappointing, but not enough to make me turn away from the ship. The removal of Thermal Suites use for Elite passengers on a port day is also disappointing but I am hoping the Retreat will help make up for that for this particular cruise. I do have concerns about where our "spot" will be bar-wise before dinner as we really enjoyed World Class (more so Molecular before the switch over). We loved the martini bar before it turned into the place to be, but it got too crowded and found ourselves at the Molecular bar from then on. With the martini bar now being in the center of the ship (definitely too crowded and loud) and not wanting to go outside to enjoy a drink at the Sunset Bar, I'm hoping we'll find an alternative that works. Eden is probably going to be too weird for us, but I will decide on board if it is a space we would prefer to avoid. We're excited and going to give it a try, but I totally get canceling if there's too many "take-aways" for you. They didn't take too much away from what I previously enjoyed, so if there's anything I find that the ship is lacking, I am hoping the new things about Edge will make up for it.

You have done some thorough evaluations, and I would have to agree, that had I been in a Suite with a regular balcony, despite the balcony furniture, with access to the Suite Retreat, I probably would have enjoyed the cruise more. 

Don't forget you do have the Suite Lounge that you can have a pre-dinner drink in. While there is no actual bar, I do believe there is bar service.  That will certainly be more quiet and less crowded.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, angelhelly said:

When we booked our S3, a S2 on the similar date and same itinerary on the Equinox was the same price. We were able to convert an onboard booking so we got $550 OBC + the Travel Agency OBC. 

Would I cancel if I had paid 10k+ for a Sky Suite with the reviews? Probably. .But Booking at $5.5k out the door for both of us, and I was able to book real cheap flights and cheap pre-stay hotel, I'm ok with the gamble.

But I so wish we could have some decent patio furniture for the balcony!!! That would make our cruise I think.

And I am really excited by the Market discovery in Cozumel we have booked...

I'm glad we paid a bit less than $6000 for our S1 as well (now $12,000). We wouldn't have been able to sail in a suite at the current prices (well, we could have dropped another cruise, but probably wouldn't have). My gut feeling is that the balcony furniture will improve or they won't be able to sustain those prices, but likely not before our cruise.

We will put the KH rocker out there and the vanity hassock as a footrest. The Retreat is lovely and we will enjoy sitting in the sun there too and will be able to get drinks and food up there. Hopefully, they will have figured out a better way to do room service. If not, I'm quite sure that we will enjoy the cruise overall!

I will be with you on the Chef's Market tour!  🙂

I read Johnnyt's review and it actually perked me up.  To be totally honest, I was even beginning to get a little down in the dumps about my 15 day TA in April for 10,000(S1 aft suite for two)even though I got such a fantastic price.  That is really not  like me, but I was starting to catch the Edge flu...with six of us cruising together, of course we will have a wonderful time.  I will get those loungers for my huge balcony, and I will enjoy at least two of my specialty dinners.  I am not excited about Eden, but will talk to the chef ahead of time. One couple really wants to eat in Eden.  If I do not enjoy my cruise, I will think about canceling my cruise in Europe for 2020, but the itinerary is fantastic for 11 days, and two new ports!  

You gotta do what you gotta do to make you happy!  No one else can do that for you...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

We have an infinite veranda booked for March. We booked the first week available so what we paid is less than half the current price. The actual ship is getting good reviews so, even though I am thinking I won’t love the IV, I am still looking forward to the cruise. I don’t think the ship is selling as well as they hoped so I would think they will have to reduce prices before too long. In some respects I wish we had booked an interior cabin so I would be forced to get out and explore/enjoy the ship. 

• Like 2