Carnival Eliminates Free Room Service... Will Other Lines Follow?

mnocket

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Here's the bad news

It seems the continental breakfast will still be free, but all other room service items will cost you.

I wonder if this will ripple through other cruise lines?  I hope not, but my gut tells me it won't be long before others follow.

I saw this and had the same thought. That would really suck!

2 hours ago, mnocket said:

Here's the bad news

It seems the continental breakfast will still be free, but all other room service items will cost you.

I wonder if this will ripple through other cruise lines?  I hope not, but my gut tells me it won't be long before others follow.

I think that NCL has charged for room service for some years.

RCI also charges.  If I find that the convenience is not worth the cost, or that my travel budget can’t be adjusted to include the additional cost I’ll just go to one of the free venues to eat.  The only time in recent memory when I felt compelled to order room service was for 4 days of a 7 night cruise when I got sick and didn’t want to leave my cabin.  I couldn’t tell you, nor do I care, what those meals cost.  

• Like 1

Recent developments in the cruise industry make it clear that any “free” amenity (properly referred to as “included”, because everything you get on a cruise is paid for - either as part of basic fare or as an add-on) is a target for application of a surcharge.

I would not be surprised to see included MDR meals go away:  with either surcharge for any eating outside of the cafeteria, or simple elimination of the MDR’s. 

The clear trend over the past two decades has been to hold down cruise fares the only way it can be done: by continually reducing what the fares buy.

• Like 1

Most lines already charge a fee for room service. Carnival seems to be the first to charge per item.

I had no problem when the original goal of the charge was late at night to reduce waste. But this is getting to the point where its sad. 

Granted, I've only ordered breakfast through room service. But it was nice having the option.

54 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Most lines already charge a fee for room service. Carnival seems to be the first to charge per item.

I had no problem when the original goal of the charge was late at night to reduce waste. But this is getting to the point where its sad. 

Granted, I've only ordered breakfast through room service. But it was nice having the option.

Breakfast items are still at no additional charge on Carnival.

2 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Breakfast items are still at no additional charge on Carnival.

According to the article... " They will be charging for everything except for a basic continental breakfast ", so it seems if you want eggs, etc  there will be charge.

11 minutes ago, mnocket said:

According to the article... " They will be charging for everything except for a basic continental breakfast ", so it seems if you want eggs, etc  there will be charge.

Carnival has never had hot breakfast available for room service.  It has always been a continental breakfast.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mnocket said:

Here's the bad news

NCL did it two or three years ago. Best move they ever made.

• Like 2

Just now, payitforward said:

The difference here is that most cruise lines currently charge a flat fee for room service. (RCCL $7.95 per order.) Carnival is now moving to charge per ITEM as opposed to per ORDER.

Sounds crazy.

Here's an idea:  If there is no minimum, then everyone should order one item at a time.

LET them send a tray with a glass of OJ.  Then another with some toast.

Want coffee?  Order that, too (separately).

Cereal?  Call again!

A croissant?  You know what to do.

IF enough people do this (or bunch the items to make up any "minimum" each time), then perhaps, just perhaps, the beancounters will figure out a "better way"!

GC

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

It's a disturbing trend.  NCL went to ala cart pricing in their specialty restaurants.  Now Carnival is doing it with their room service.  How long will it be before the major cruise lines all have Spirit Airlines logos on their hulls?  🙄

• Like 1

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I would not be surprised to see included MDR meals go away:  with either surcharge for any eating outside of the cafeteria, or simple elimination of the MDR’s. 

There was a cruise line who did this as an experiment with one ship. They got rid of all included meals and had restaurants and cafes around the ship, no packages just pay for the meals you order. I don't know how successful this was or if they expanded to other ships but I would be curious if it translated to any significantly cheaper fares🤔

1 hour ago, payitforward said:

Correct. But Royal charges a flat fee per order. Now Carnival has gone to charging per ITEM. The question is: will Royal and the other lines follow suit?

If someone want just one item, for example coffee, it's probably better with charging per item than a flat fee.

Maybe lots of people ordered lots of things without eating it?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

There was a cruise line who did this as an experiment with one ship. They got rid of all included meals and had restaurants and cafes around the ship, no packages just pay for the meals you order. I don't know how successful this was or if they expanded to other ships but I would be curious if it translated to any significantly cheaper fares🤔

If you are thinking about "EasyCruise", they tried and subsequently failed... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyCruise

8 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I'm not one to complain about changes, but this one would be suicide. People are scared to death of individual charges. They would rather pay $200 in additional fare than $100 in upsells. 

Upsells are completely fine when you have options. By making all food a paid option, you eliminate choice. That would not be cool by me.