Taking In-Laws on a cruise, help!

nicoleinwi

Hello - I feel really lost with planning an Alaskan cruise.  I have read through a lot of the forums and have narrowed it down to a cruise that does Glacier Bay.  Also narrowed down to late May to try to prevent the rainy and bug seasons.  Looking for advice if one of the cruises below really stick out as they one to do (or stay away from).  Departing May 23 or 24 from Seattle on 7 night RT. They are; NCL Bliss, Holland America Eurodam or Princess Ruby

All have one sea day and hit the following; Juneau, Ketchikan and Victoria.  The Bliss and Ruby hit Skagway where Eurodam does Sitka.  The Eurodam also lists Stevens Passage before pulling into Juneau where the others do not.  

A little about our wants on this trip.....  For DH & I it isn't about what we want.  We are in early 40's.  It will be a great trip and we'll find great excursions to do.  But each year in our trip planning we don't bother looking at Alaska as other destinations we'd like to visit more for the cost.  We are taking DH's parents who are in their early 70's on their trip of a lifetime.  Well, not taking them as they are paying their own way, but taking them as they will not travel on their own.  They are not travelers (they went to Grand Canyon once and Vegas twice in the past 30 years), so this is a very big deal for them.  They want an Alaskan cruise for what they see on TV, that's their requirements.  And, they are also looking for a trip that is on the lower cost side.  Thus, why I am looking at the Seattle-Seattle.  I am scared because we are the ones incharge of planning someone's trip of a lifetime.  Where if it were DH & I if we planned it wrong, then we would go back and do what we missed.  

Parents are very simple people.  On the ship they will likely just enjoy sitting around and watching Alaska go by.  So even though DH & I want all the cool features of a cruise ship we are fine with a simple ship.  For their excursions they will not be doing anything extravagant or extreme; taking a tour of each town.  Maybe a train ride (I can't remember what port I saw that in).  A cruise seems like a good option for us traveling together as in port we will be able to each go our separate ways for excursions and meet up at night as we'd want to do something more extreme then they would.  When the itineraries state it's Glacier Bay day, do all these lines have commentary on what  you are seeing and kinda stop in the bay and rotate the ship around?  

As for rooms; DH & I like balconies.  We enjoy relaxing in our balcony during the day and it was great doing the Norwegian Fjords and being able to just sit out there and not feel crammed around people (and quick go back inside when it got cold).  That is out of their price range.  They are considering a window room.  Is it worth getting a window room over an interior for $600 more (for 2 people)?  I do not think so, but wanted to hear others thoughts.  Aren't the windows usually over the bed?  Sure, it would be nice to glance out the window when you are in the room, but I can't imagine spending a lot of time in your room to look out your window like you would in a balcony room.  They are the type that would enjoy hanging out in the common areas watching the scenery and people. 

Thank you in advance for any help you could give!  

Some people like a window to get some natural light into the room. Others could care less about the natural light. Everyone is different. If they can join you on your balcony - that may help. Though - honestly - the best view in Alaska are on deck where you can walk forward and then from side to side. Even when I have a balcony, I am on deck most of the time.

I personally would not take in-laws on the Bliss (or any other NCL ship). That is me.

I would pick an itinerary that has as long of port days that you can get. I agree with you about Glacier Bay as Hubbard can be missed.  You may want to also look for itineraries RT Vancouver. Though Vancouver is a very expensive city to spend the night in the night before. Seattle is more affordable.

Edited by Coral

Keep in mind ... Princess and HAL have been doing Alaska for a very long time and both enjoy a excellent reputations for providing wonderful  cruises to Alaska. 

Think of the cabin location when booking.

Having a mid-ship cabin means you are never more than half way to and from your cabin. :classic_wink:  

• Like 1

I’m about the age of your in-laws.  My 17th cruise to Alaska is coming up in May, so I have some experience with both HAL and Princess.  I would absolutely recommend the Eurodam.  Also take a look at the deck plans.  A lot of people have a problem with an inside cabin, but the Category J cabins on the Main deck are huge.  

http://halfacts.com/1048-eurodam/

Get one as close to the Atrium as you can, as the ones farther forward are under the Main Stage and may present a problem with noise.  

With the money saved, do a nice whale watch/ Mendehall excursion in Juneau, the Raptor Center in Sitka, and maybe splurge on the crab fisherman trip in Ketchikan.  

I think if it’s their trip of a lifetime, and they want to experience what they’ve seen on tv, then walking around the towns isn’t going to fulfill that dream. 

Bon Voyage!

• Like 2

I have also completed more than a few Alaska cruises, both working and as a passenger. In Alaska, I firmly believe the scenery is the most important factor, the ship merely transports you through the scenery and to each of the ports.

Regarding Inside or Ocean View cabin - if your In-Laws are on a limited budget, I would opt for one the cheaper categories of cabin available, so as to leave more money for the itinerary and/or tours.

For itinerary, my preferences, subject to budget would be:

- 1st Choice N'bd or S'bd (Vancouver - Whittier/Seward) - you will still see SE Alaska, but you also get up to Prince William Sound. Vancouver based ships also use more of the Inside Passage, where Seattle ships use the Pacific Ocean to reach Alaska. Downside is more flying.

- 2nd Choice R/T Vancouver - for same reason as above, Vancouver ships do not use the Pacific Ocean to reach Alaska

- 3rd Choice R/T Seattle - while they may state 1 sea day, it is actually 1 sea day up & 1 sea day down. They must stop at Victoria, but it is only for a few hours, after a full sea day.

For 1st time in Alaska, I suggest Glacier Bay is a must, with Princess & HAL having the most permits. Hubbard Glacier is a close 2nd. On all my cruises to Glacier Bay we had Rangers board the ship providing a commentary. When at the glaciers, the Captain normally rotates the ship, so both sides can view the glacier.

A previous response noted Vancouver hotels are more expensive than Seattle. While this may be true for downtown hotels, a number of comfortable hotels are available closer to the airport that are reasonably priced. When converted to US you should find options for $70 - 100 per night.

A few random thoughts from someone who lives in Alaska .....

First, our poster posts that the in-laws "want an Alaskan cruise for what they see on TV, that's their requirements."  Are they watching some of those "reality" TV shows?  Those of us who actually live here are somewhat mystified about the proliferation of those shows.  If they expect to see what they are watching on "reality TV" they may be disappointed.  

The north and south bound one way cruises generally have better itineraries.  But if you need to do a round trip then the RTs from Vancouver are better than those from Seattle.  Given how little the in-laws seem to have traveled I am wondering if they are willing to fly?

The two scenic rail trips are from Seward to Anchorage (on the Alaska Railway), and the White Pass and Yukon out of Skagway.  The Alaska Railway also has service from Anchorage to Fairbanks (stopping at the entrance to Denali National Park), but a land trip doesn't seem to be in the discussion.

Are the in-laws computer literate?  Could they spend some time reading the trip reports (organized by year) at the top of this forum index?  

This is not really going to help you, but I struggled with choosing an Alaska itinerary because I wanted to visit both Skagway (for the WP&Y RR) and Sitka. There are 14-day itineraries on Holland America that do that, but I don't have 14 days once you add in transcon travel, a day at the departure port (NEVER fly to the departure port on the day of your embarkation) and possibly a day at the end port. There was one itinerary on Royal Caribbean that did; it was 10 or 11 days and I could manage that, but the one sailing was at a time I can't get away from work. I eventually booked a one-way itinerary from Vancouver that calls at Skagway and I'll fly to Sitka even though there are no nonstop flights from either Anchorage or Vancouver to Sitka (there are from Seattle).

It's possible that I am about the age of your in-laws, or they may be a little older. I've traveled happily on NCL and the only caveat I might offer is that, while my NCL cruises have had almost no families with children - because school was in session then - almost all Alaska cruises are during the summer vacation. If you think they would prefer to avoid ships with lots of children, that might be a reason for choosing Holland America - although in that case they may feel that most of the other passengers are too old! Disclosure: my upcoming Alaska booking is on RC, but since it's still more than 18 months in the future, I have no personal experience on which to draw.

Edited by kochleffel

Thanks everyone for all your input!  Here's some feedback on some of your comments....

The embark/disembark cities are something to consider, besides Seattle R/T.  I will look at different costs and let the in-laws decide what they want to do.  I think doing the pre or post cruise tour with the cruise line is too cost prohibitive for them though.  That is also fine with us because we have a land based trip planned to Fairbanks and Anchorage that we are doing on our own and the money we'd spend on the add on cruisetour goes a long way to this other trip.  Plus it would save us some vacation days.

What they want to experience that they see on TV is for example Wheel of Fortune will give away an Alaskan cruise, and you will see this ship (and it's a normal cruise ship not an expedition boat) in the middle of the icy mountains.  That's what they want to see. 

They will fly.  They won't fly on their own, so that is why we would be "taking" them. 

I thought of having them read some of the forums.  However, even though we've only been on 8 cruises we are pretty seasoned travels, going away about 5 weeks a year.  If my head is spinning with the AK stuff, I can't imagine what their head would be doing :)

Next step is I will look up the cruises that have different starting/ending cities and go over that with them.  I'll find some info out on the ships too.  As one said they may not like NCL with the kids.  The Bliss I believe is close to 5000 passengers where the Eurodam is right under 2000 so that is also something I'll put together for them.

Thanks again!

If what they see on TV is what they think of as Alaska, Glacier Bay will fulfill their dreams.  Skagway is somewhat like a frontier town that I think they would be delighted with, and the White Pass Railway spellbinding.  Ketchikan is like another frontier town.  yes, it's touristy but in frontier times, it was probably the same, just not goods made in China...  Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau would also fill in their dreams.  And if they have senior pass cards from the National Park Service they can get into the museum there free, and take you along.  So, if what they see on TV is what they want to see, they don't need any excursions except maybe the White Pass Railway.  If you should decide to do a one way from Seward or Whittier, there would be a scenic train or bus ride from Anchorage to the port.  Our bus rides had narration of the scenery.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

If what they see on TV is what they think of as Alaska, Glacier Bay will fulfill their dreams.  Skagway is somewhat like a frontier town that I think they would be delighted with, and the White Pass Railway spellbinding.  Ketchikan is like another frontier town.  yes, it's touristy but in frontier times, it was probably the same, just not goods made in China...  Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau would also fill in their dreams.  And if they have senior pass cards from the National Park Service they can get into the museum there free, and take you along.  So, if what they see on TV is what they want to see, they don't need any excursions except maybe the White Pass Railway.  If you should decide to do a one way from Seward or Whittier, there would be a scenic train or bus ride from Anchorage to the port.  Our bus rides had narration of the scenery.  EM

Thank you!  In looking at excursions I did see a railway cruise and that would be something they'd be interested in.  That must have been White Pass Railway.  We were looking at some many things the names got lost in my head.  Yes they have the National Parks card too.  They bought it before price went up and only $10 for the lifetime just incase they ever were near a park. 

We also thought possibly in Juneau we could rent a car and drive out to Mendenhall on our own.  That way DH and I could do some hiking (if they allow) and they would be able to stroll around at their own slower pace and we could meet back at the rental car at a certain time, and give them the keys as they might be done first and could turn on the heat.  Or possibly that was another port that was closer to the glacier?  

It will be nice visiting port towns that seems to have more authentic shops.  I really don't like the types of stores lining a lot of Caribbean ports.  

DH pulled into Ketchikan in the Navy and said how neat it was so that is the one port that I'm really excited about hitting and made sure the cruises would stop there.  I want to do the deadliest catch boat.  

Hi nicoleinwi, 

We've done lots of Alaska cruises and I thought I'd chime in - and maybe confuse you even more! Holland America does a great job on the Alaska cruises and the Eurodam is a nice ship. We were on it for the first time last summer and enjoyed it. When you are in Glacier Bay it's nice because they have park rangers come on and there are some wonderful presentations. Princess will have a naturalist on board but the park rangers add another dimension to the time in the glaciers. Glacier Bay is my 2nd favorite glacier viewing (Hubbard Glacier is first). 

In Juneau renting a car and going to Mendenhall is very doable. You can also do some other exploring. There are several hikes in the area and the in-laws would enjoy the visitor's center and the shorter walk out to the photo viewing point. Juneau has a wonderful Alaska State Museum as well as the State Capital Building is very interesting if you like history and "old" things. If you are all walkers it's very walkable to both. 

Sitka is a lovely spot to visit and the most unspoiled of the 3 Alaska ports that the Eurodam visits. For one, there are no jewelry stores, etc. You dock out of town in Sitka and there are free shuttles into town. Once in town the Totem Park, Bishop's House, and many of the sights are very walkable. 

Ketchikan is quite touristy but the best spot to get all those obligatory souvenirs (t-shirts, magnets, etc). I've heard good things about the Deadliest Catch tour but have never done it. There is a lot to wander around and look at right at the pier area. 

Victoria is your last stop and you get in about 7 PM. If you want to do some walking it's about a 20 minute walk to town and there is a lovely walk along the water, through Fisherman's Wharf, and then into town to the Parliament Buildings and the Empress Hotel. If you don't want to walk as much there are taxis and other ways of getting into town. 

We've done over a dozen trips out of Seattle round trip (we live about 90 minutes north of Seattle) and DH uses a scooter for mobility and we go everywhere! 

Enjoy all your research and have a wonderful cruise.

Karen

• Like 1

When we did Pacific Princess in 2007, there was a Park Ranger on in Glacier Bay. I thought it was a condition of the permits into Glacier Bay?

In Sitka in September, we walked from the shuttle dropoff, around the harbor and watched salmon jumping by the Science Ctr, walked through the Totem Park (there are descriptions online of each totem so we did a self-tour) and on the other side of the Park was the Raptor Ctr which we really enjoyed. Fair bit of walking but it was a lovely day and we really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

When we did Pacific Princess in 2007, there was a Park Ranger on in Glacier Bay. I thought it was a condition of the permits into Glacier Bay?

It is. They board every ship that goes to Glacier Bay.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 12:16 AM, kochleffel said:

This is not really going to help you, but I struggled with choosing an Alaska itinerary because I wanted to visit both Skagway (for the WP&Y RR) and Sitka. There are 14-day itineraries on Holland America that do that, but I don't have 14 days once you add in transcon travel, a day at the departure port (NEVER fly to the departure port on the day of your embarkation) and possibly a day at the end port. There was one itinerary on Royal Caribbean that did; it was 10 or 11 days and I could manage that, but the one sailing was at a time I can't get away from work. I eventually booked a one-way itinerary from Vancouver that calls at Skagway and I'll fly to Sitka even though there are no nonstop flights from either Anchorage or Vancouver to Sitka (there are from Seattle).

Cunard has a 10 day round trip out of Vancouver on the Queen Elizabeth that calls in both Sitka and Skagway. It doesn't visit Glacier Bay though, just Hubbard and Tracy Arm.

Just about any cruise you decide on will have Ketchikan. The deadliest catch tour is really good and easy to get to. Ask for a little heads up before they feed the eagles and have the cameras ready. Then https://www.alaskacenters.gov/visitors-centers/Ketchikan is free with Nat Park Pass (I think for 4 people) and close. In Juneau car rental seems like great idea. Not many roads to get lost on and place out of the rain if you need it. Make sure everyone has rain gear. Search youtube as just about every tour will have one and try to find the latest for most current by everyday folks and not advertising. That way you can see if in-laws would be interested. There may be some of the ships you are thinking about.  sightcrr 

Edited by SightCRR
added youtube info.

The Eurodam will have the fewest passengers of the ships you listed.  It is my favorite of the HAL ships and it has standard verandah cabins (not suites) that are a good value.  I would choose an aft cabin (Port or Starboard) for easy access to the Lido and Dining Room via the aft elevators.  There are a lot of inside areas around the ship for scenic viewing on the Eurodam.  Glacier Bay is awesome, sometimes Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm are inaccessible.  

You might also consider the Nieuw Amsterdam out of Vancouver which has Glacier Bay, Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau.  Skagway is the gateway to the Yukon gold rush and has the White Pass and Yukon Railway Excursion.  Nieuw Amsterdam is similar in size to the Eurodam.

Sailing RT Vancouver is smoother sailing and more scenic.

Edited by oaktreerb

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who has had inside, outside and balcony cabins in the past, in your situation I would go for an inside cabin.  Our outside cabin was on a HAL ship. It was over the bed and to see anything through the window a climb on to the bed was necessary.  I am not claustrophobic and I think we did not even open the curtains.  There is always the TV to see what the weather is doing.  We are cruising the Inside Passage again with HAL at the end of May.  On the last one we were given hot beverages whilst we were out on deck.  This next time we are thinking about taking insulated mugs to keep our hot chocolate hot. 

I really don't have any salient advice that hasn't already been offered.

But, I will say you are much braver than most folks.

Why anyone would be willing to do this is far beyond me. I find it hard enough to work out travel with my loving bride, much less bring relatives into the mix.

I'm sure you will all find a niche here and there and you will give them the bucket list item they will talk about into the future.

Just wanted to say that I am working on the exact same thing! We are taking my in-laws (who will be newly retired) on their dream trip to Alaska this summer. They also don't travel much, just road trips and occasional flights to visit their adult kids. They have never been on a cruise and don't want to be involved in the planning, which is fine with me because I love to travel plan! We've decided to go with Princess northbound Vancouver to Whittier. My husband and I like Princess for the food and lack of kids/party atmosphere. (Though I've only been on Carnival and Royal Caribbean to compare to.) I am vegetarian and they have always been super kind and accommodating to me in the main dining room. We will be in a balcony and they will be in an inside across the hall to save on cost. Our only excursion will be the White Pass train in Skagway. Otherwise we just plan to explore the ports on our own.

I think my in-laws will be thrilled no matter what. Since they have nothing to compare to, it really will be the trip of a lifetime! Good luck with your planning. I'm sure they will love it!

• Like 1

Our extended family of 12 -- ages ranging from 11 to 71 -- is going to Alaska on the NCL Bliss in late May. DH and I did a five-day Pacific coast cruise on the Bliss last fall and LOVED the ship. Yes, it's large. But it's also new and has many, many wonderful features.

The observation lounge is amazing, as is the thermal spa. And we loved the food - both quality and variety. We're very experienced cruisers -- have sailed extensively with Celebrity and Princess, in particular -- but the Bliss is our new favorite ship. I highly recommend it.

Edited by ohhbother

I took my in-laws on a cruise when they were in their late 70's (although not to AK).  Like your parents they were not travelers. Having done that and having been on an AK cruise here is what I would say.  Include Glacier Bay as they can sit on the deck and watch Alaska go by.  In Skagway a tour that includes the WPYRR one way and a bus the other way is nicely paced and lets them see a lot of scenery.  In Ketchikan they can walk around town and/or take a bus to one of the Totem Pole parks (e.g., Tome Bight).  We also found that they did not like the buffet (too many lines and looking for a table) and wound up eating all of their meals in the MDR. Good luck.

We have never cruised Alaska..... but we have been planning our upcoming May Alaska cruise since June last year. Since you mention that your folks are on a budget, look at every possibility. My wife, Joy is big on spreadsheets, and with her help, we have looked at a lot of pre cruise excursions, etc. One thing we found that saved some change was getting a passport card instead of a book, booking the cruise from Seward to Vancouver, then renting a car there and driving (rather than flying) to Seattle. For a group of 4, that could save some coin. So far, Enterprise is the cheapest out of Vancouver International offsite on Beckwith Rd. For us, our 1st Alaska cruise, it has been a blinding pile of work. Just look at all the options. We splurged on the big balcony suite and if your folks get the inside cabin, at least they might be allowed on your balcony to "watch" Alaska sail by. Our grand suite balcony is large = big enough for 4 comfortably.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:50 AM, masterdrago said:

. One thing we found that saved some change was getting a passport card instead of a book, booking the cruise from Seward to Vancouver, then renting a car there and driving (rather than flying) to Seattle. 

Just be aware that as a US citizen the card is good for ground entry only.  Should a medical emergency come up while in Canada a passport card won't get you home by air. I agree that the savings is substantial but stuff happens.

Edited by stevejco

On 2/6/2019 at 1:40 PM, stevejco said:

Just be aware that as a US citizen the card is good for ground entry only.  Should a medical emergency come up while in Canada a passport card won't get you home by air. I agree that the savings is substantial but stuff happens.

Excellent point.