Millennium Revolution -

Jim_Iain

I can't believe there are so many negative people on this thread nit-picking about what they do and don't like about the Millennium refurbishment..... I am cruising on Millennium for the first time in March 2021 and I am really looking forward to it - I will board the ship with an open mind.

Please do not criticize the refurbishment of the ship unless you have been on it since it was refurbished

it's easy to just look at photos and say "ohh I don't like the look of this or that", or question why they have changed this or that....

I'm sure celebrity will have a good reason why they have done the refurbishment the way they did and why they made the changes they did

I do not care about the colours of the walls / carpet or the overall décor - that sort of thing is immaterial to me..... sure if they had painted the rooms 'hot pink' or 'bright yellow' that might be a bit of an issue, but from the photos I've seen the rooms all look fine - we are only regular balcony class -  we're not elite or aqua class

I thought the seats in the MDR with the very high backs looked a bit odd, but they might be very comfortable - who knows!

I'll make my own judgement when I board Millennium in March 2021  :-)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think some of  the negs being posted represent disappointment.  Expectations were high for the revolution/ renovations...  but from some  actuaul reviews and actual photos being posted... some folks feel  let down about some of the design and furniture  choices....We'll all decide  for ourselves after we see it in person.

Still can't get over the huge banquette in one of the suites..see Jim_ Lain live from Infinity thread,... 

• Like 2

I'm jealous.

First of all, we're Celebrity loyalists, but relative rookies at only 25 cruises.  Been on all the ships except for those in Galapagos and certainly no youngsters at 77 and 75.

We booked the Edge the week bookings were opened hoping to be among the first few thousand to cruise the ship and see the imperfections.  As it turned out, it was finished ahead of schedule, so in Feb., we were among the first 30,000, which is kind of special, I think.  When we booked the first trip, we also booked the W/B TA in Nov., knowing that we could cancel.  After our cruise, there was no way we're going to cancel.  We're excited!

There are some things we don't like, and lots of things we do.  With 3,000 passengers, there could be 3,000 opinions.  It's pricey, to be sure, and I'm not sure if they're attracting the clientele they wanted.  But, it seems to be working for them, especially since they've ordered two more Edge class ships.

C-Dragons: early in the cruise find the little restaurant in the back of Eden, order a Reuben paninni , and get a large chocolate chip cookie.  You can thank me for the advice after the cruise.

George

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 9:37 AM, GoSpurs said:

A few questions about Millie cabins:

1. I'm sure they can dock this ship on either side, but do they typically dock on the starboard side?

2. Did the canopies over the deck 6 suites survive the Revolution or do they still obstruct the downward view from the aft 2A balconies like cabin 7177.

3. I booked a 2020 cruise onboard in January of this year, so there's no final payment issue yet. Can I move to another cabin or class and retain my perks if this undisclosed canopy obstructed view is still an issue? I just learned about the canopies while further researching the cabin on CC.

Thanks!!

Just wondering if I could get answers to questions #1 and #3.  --  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

I think some of  the negs being posted represent disappointment.  Expectations were high for the revolution/ renovations...  but from some  actuaul reviews and actual photos being posted... some folks feel  let down about some of the design and furniture  choices....We'll all decide  for ourselves after we see it in person.

Still can't get over the huge banquette in one of the suites..see Jim_ Lain live from Infinity thread,... 

I like the new looks and am happy to hear that they are listening and adding to or removing furniture to make the cabins more functional.  The banquette in on Infinity which has not undergone the Revolution.

5 minutes ago, StanleyVA said:

I'm jealous.

First of all, we're Celebrity loyalists, but relative rookies at only 25 cruises.  Been on all the ships except for those in Galapagos and certainly no youngsters at 77 and 75.

We booked the Edge the week bookings were opened hoping to be among the first few thousand to cruise the ship and see the imperfections.  As it turned out, it was finished ahead of schedule, so in Feb., we were among the first 30,000, which is kind of special, I think.

C-Dragons: early in the cruise find the little restaurant in the back of Eden, order a Reuben paninni , and get a large chocolate chip cookie.  You can thank me for the advice after the cruise.

George

Yes, the Edge was finished early and we were very fortunate to cruise on the Inaugural last December. We have been to the restaurant in Eden for lunch, it is one of our favorites.

2 hours ago, StanleyVA said:

I'm jealous.

First of all, we're Celebrity loyalists, but relative rookies at only 25 cruises. 

you've done 25 cruises and still consider yourselves 'rookies'?

how many cruises does one need to do to become 'experienced'?

I've only done 1 cruise and have 2 more booked and I consider myself to be a 'rookie'

I would have thought after 25 cruises you'd be much more than a 'rookie'!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muffinz said:

I can't believe there are so many negative people on this thread nit-picking about what they do and don't like about the Millennium refurbishment..... I am cruising on Millennium for the first time in March 2021 and I am really looking forward to it - I will board the ship with an open mind.

Please do not criticize the refurbishment of the ship unless you have been on it since it was refurbished

it's easy to just look at photos and say "ohh I don't like the look of this or that", or question why they have changed this or that....

I'm sure celebrity will have a good reason why they have done the refurbishment the way they did and why they made the changes they did

I do not care about the colours of the walls / carpet or the overall décor - that sort of thing is immaterial to me..... sure if they had painted the rooms 'hot pink' or 'bright yellow' that might be a bit of an issue, but from the photos I've seen the rooms all look fine - we are only regular balcony class -  we're not elite or aqua class

I thought the seats in the MDR with the very high backs looked a bit odd, but they might be very comfortable - who knows!

I'll make my own judgement when I board Millennium in March 2021  🙂

Absolutely.  Make your own judgment.  As the rest of us are also entitled to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GoSpurs said:

Just wondering if I could get answers to questions #1 and #3.  --  Thanks!

To answer your question #3, if you move your booking to a different cabin in the same class on the same ship and sailing, you will probably be able to retain the benefits you currently have.  If you move to a different ship or different sailing or different cabin class, you will probably have to pay the current price and get whatever the current benefits are.  Only your travel agent or Celebrity can answer this question for you.

4 hours ago, Muffinz said:

I have mentioned the Debbie Downers several times on the Summit Revolution Thread and they still complain about the same things and tell us how many times they will be or have sailed with Celebrity over and over and over and over.  

Like you I'm super excited!

4 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I like the new looks and am happy to hear that they are listening and adding to or removing furniture to make the cabins more functional.  The banquette in on Infinity which has not undergone the Revolution.

Sorry about that..did not realize or remember Infinity had not been renovated yet!

We’ll be on the Millie in Alaska in July and I have a question about the set-up in Oceanview Café. So they have individual stations like on the S class ships? Our two particular favorites were the Mexican and Indian food, does the Millennium have them now?

My apologies if this question has been answered earlier in the thread but am unable to get the search option to work on my phone. Thanks in advance 😊

17 hours ago, Muffinz said:

I've only done 1 cruise and have 2 more booked and I consider myself to be a 'rookie'

A thought to ponder - It's not only the number of cruises, but the number of days at sea.  Some people take a lot of short cruises, and some people take a lot of longer cruises.  So, for example, a person that has done 25 - 5 day cruises would have less "days at sea"  (125 days) than a person that has done 10 - 14 day cruises (140 days).  So, who you think is more experienced is a matter of how you look at it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Muffinz said:

Nope.  Horribly uncomfortable.  I was on the Summit on March 25th -30th from San Juan.  Our party of 4 had these chairs.  They were VERY heavy and almost impossible to move or get in and out of.  Worse part is that they were SO uncomfortable.   My server found an extra pillow for me and I also took my airplane pillow.  If we get placed at one of those tables again, we will ask to be switched.

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2019 at 1:36 PM, ecslady said:

A thought to ponder - It's not only the number of cruises, but the number of days at sea.  Some people take a lot of short cruises, and some people take a lot of longer cruises.  So, for example, a person that has done 25 - 5 day cruises would have less "days at sea"  (125 days) than a person that has done 10 - 14 day cruises (140 days).  So, who you think is more experienced is a matter of how you look at it. 

My vote would be on the cruiser with 25 shorter cruises...

* 25 vs 10 embarkations/debarkations

* More crew & staff to get to know

* Unless they do the same itinerary, probably more ships that they know

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 8:19 PM, Muffinz said:

So I counted sea days (I'm retired with time on my hands) and came up with 248.  I guess I'm not a "rookie"; probably fall into the "experienced" category; probably not a "veteran".

I just plain enjoy being on a ship.  In August, we're on the Equinox for a 7 day Caribbean to places we've seen many times.  Will barely get off the ship, but I had to cruise on a "revolutionized" ship.

George

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StanleyVA said:

So I counted sea days (I'm retired with time on my hands) and came up with 248.  I guess I'm not a "rookie"; probably fall into the "experienced" category; probably not a "veteran".

I just plain enjoy being on a ship.  In August, we're on the Equinox for a 7 day Caribbean to places we've seen many times.  Will barely get off the ship, but I had to cruise on a "revolutionized" ship.

George

Hoping you take lots of pix, George.  Am worried about what they may do to the S class ships.  Fortunately, I'm on the Solstice next month prior to its revolution.  By the way, the PH and lots of suites still available, feel free to join us!  So far I've received two move-up offers.  Had my TA handle an upgrade instead, because I was only willing to move to a specific cabin.  She got me that cabin and increased my 2 perks to 4, all at no additional charge.  Works for me.  Some friends joining us since prices have dropped like a rock.  I could upgrade to a RS for $1,000/pp, but my friends are in 1As, so not going there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 8:05 AM, kwokpot said:

None of Celebrity's spa comes close to NCL'S offerings on their new builds (actually NCL'S older Jewel class ships probably have larger facilities then Celebrity) and that's why I was disappointed with the spa on the Edge. As you pointed out two essential things a spa whether on land or sea needs to have are relaxation areas within the Thermal suite and a hot tub/whirlpool which are not present in any Celebrity spas. I'll take a relaxation area over a salt inhalation room any day ( of course NCL spas have both!). 

With regard to the solarium on S-class ships they do indeed get very crowded and generally hard to get a lounger especially on sea days. I enjoy meals at the Spa Cafe inside the solarium and there's also never enough seating during meal times. Edit: yes, the solarium is adults only. 

I booked aqua class thinking Millie would have a hydro pool for guests to use for free.

I didn't use the one on HAL so I was bummed that Millie doesn't have one.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:56 AM, prish said:

We’ll be on the Millie in Alaska in July and I have a question about the set-up in Oceanview Café. So they have individual stations like on the S class ships? Our two particular favorites were the Mexican and Indian food, does the Millennium have them now?

My apologies if this question has been answered earlier in the thread but am unable to get the search option to work on my phone. Thanks in advance 😊

Yes, they had Mexican and Indian stations/sections pretty much every day.  BTW, I LOVED the refurbed Millennium.  Just about every aspect was wonderful IMHO  (room, food, service, decor, improvements etc.) except for the longer than usual waits and flustered service in Blu.  You can find out more on that in the thread about the new AQ cabins on Deck 10. No need to re-hash that all here.

• Like 1

I Just came of the Transpacific on Millennium.

I attended a Lecture by the Staff Captain complete with photos etc. of what it took to do this refit.

First off with so many trades it became a problem that they had to work through because many were working on top of each other.
The idea was to redo 50 cabins a day at the start. They managed 5 on the first day and 10 or so on the second day. By the third day they were way behind.
They were also redoing crew cabins as well.
A hotel ship was brought to house the trades as well as some hotels were used.
Feeding all on board was a challenge because the dining rooms and ocean view cafe were being redone.
So this tells me that in order to finish on time many short cuts had to be taken in order to finish on time. They did not finish on time in the yard as they were working well into the first cruise. We were told of one couple who went to their cabin and opened the door to find no beds.

I had a Concierge Cabin that had problems.
-First 1/3 of the grout in the shower floor is gone. Talking to friends in the same class they had the exact same problem here.
-The desk that was installed had a screw that had come up through the top of it cracking the finish and now peeling.
-The bed light beside the bathroom is a high wall light that one has to get out of bed to turn off. God help you if you are short.
-The bedside table on the other side with the lamp with the plugs and USB plugs is basically useless. The phone sits in front of it and takes up the space. The phone has to be placed in the table to gain function. The phone in our case could not be moved to the other side of the bed because the cable was not long enough.
-When the cabins were stripped out they didn't bother to grind away ridges where other items had been causing high spots to if you were going to bed a stepped on them it would hurt.
-Paint over spray around doors etc. is seen through the ship.
-I also experienced an electrical short in the electrical panel to my cabin which resides in the AC duct in the hall. This panel was changed during drydock because USB plugs and new plugs were added. I found out that the while we slept that a fellow passenger pasted in the hall and smelt the electrical short and reported it. The Electrical staff came and fixed it.
The problem was the smell in the hall was so bad that one might think that the panel in the AC duct one would check on those inside the cabin. Didn't happen.
We wake up a couple of hours later to a real bad electrical burning smell to find the problem was back and not fixed earlier.
Over the course of the next couple of days our cabin had to have a deep clean twice.
And for our troubles they sent us 6 chocolate covered Strawberries (I have had cashews bigger)  and a bottle of Red Wine20190506_155926.thumb.jpg.935e0609b8764895b90eb46c93ee15ee.jpg
We had to laugh when we read the label....

We noticed in many places where there were benches that when you sat down you could not sit back against the wall because paintings were hung on the wall and they would be in the middle of your back.

The have done away with deck plans near the Elevators in favour of the Phone App. The phone App is not correct as our experience to find Tuscan took some time and not where the App said it was.
The phone app had a complete meltdown when we crossed the dateline. Things like reservations were changed to different days and in our case we had a card that showed one day and we went there to find our reservation was the next day.

The main dinning room was amazing but don't expect to find many table for 2 in a quite location.

We were told Summit was schedule for extra time  to solve some of these problems and I suspect each time they learn more. I suspect the first Solstice class ship will have similar problems.

They should also make those that do the designs to sail sail on a few cruise first so they know how things work.

Just my 10 cent observation..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2