Extra Perks or Discounts for paying 100% of cruise instead of deposit???

1 hour ago, day old doughnut said:

Anyone ever get additional discounts of perks from their travel agency when paying for the cruise on day 1 instead of using deposit method?

Not offered by Royal and we are not allowed to name travel agents on this site.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Hello,

I use a TA for bookings but until recently paid RCI direct. This is because, until recently, payments by credit card could attract a surcharge. My TA's company applied the surcharge whereas RCI did not hence why I dealt with both. Now, in Europe, credit card payments cannot attract a surcharge. The irony is now some companies will not accept credit card payments at all.

Regards,

Cublet

2 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Never pay a TA - he might run off with your money....😱

I give my credit card number to my TA, and my statements always show payments went directly to the cruise line.

14 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Yes, the happiness knowing your cruise is paid off, and you are ready to go!  Priceless

Giving thousands of dollars to the cruise line sooner than I have to somehow does not give me all that much joy.

• Like 2

I usually manage my own reservations and book direct with the cruise line, then transfer it to a TA for the additional OBC.  Additionally, the TA may have cheaper pricing that what the cruise line is offering due to group booking, and also they have specials to get the refundable price for the non-refundable offered by the cruise line.

I don't see any advantage to paying off the cruise line until final payment date or a week or two before.

6 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I use a TA for bookings but until recently paid RCI direct. This is because, until recently, payments by credit card could attract a surcharge. My TA's company applied the surcharge whereas RCI did not hence why I dealt with both. Now, in Europe, credit card payments cannot attract a surcharge. The irony is now some companies will not accept credit card payments at all.

Regards,

Cublet

That's why a TA should forward credit card info directly to the company. Why a TA would eat or pass on surcharges is beyond me

3 hours ago, Journey2016 said:

None of those things are issues in Florida. It's illegal to charge credit card surcharges and all travel agents must be licensed, bonded, and insured. That means theft and bankruptcy aren't an issue. 

Good to have but it probably won't mean anything short term.  Being in the card industry for many years I've seen a lot of TA's go under.  When that happens and the TA starts stealing your money, can be many months.

When your cruise final payment is missed your reservation is canceled and RCI will do nothing for you.  You may get your money returned months later, but your trip will be ruined.

21 hours ago, day old doughnut said:

Anyone ever get additional discounts of perks from their travel agency when paying for the cruise on day 1 instead of using deposit method?

Kind of, Royal did this two years ago, but we only paid about 60 days before final.  It was only offered on JS and higher and on select sailings.

Ours was Oasis, Fall 2017.

It was discussed at length on CC.  Surprised no one remembers.

Edited by John&LaLa

9 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

I can’t pay directly to rccl when I’m booked through  a ta. I don’t understand those of you saying you do. I can’t pay on the planner at all. . When I pay the agent , it shows up as rccl. 

You just give your credit card number to your agent who in turn calls RCCL and gives it to them for payment.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2019 at 2:02 AM, cublet said:

Hello,

Regards,

Cublet

Times are changing. Know some Hotels, Airlines will charge you a fee if you use a Credit Card instead of Debit Card or Cash. Years ago some places wouldn't take a Debit Card. Then some places including one Airline I fly wont take cash and will charge you a Fee if using Credit Card... Mom still writes Checks for everything, never a Credit Card or Debit and seldom uses cash. I travel using Cash, Credit Card, Debit Card and a Prepaid Credit Card... Some 30+ years ago traveled 10+ months a year as Military/Govt employee. We were given Diners Club Charge Card, that was always fun trying find a Hotel or Restaurant that would take it...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Haha 1