Do you find cruise cabins noisy at night?

librarygal

After a full day of activities on the cruise, I was ready for bed at 10 PM.  I was so tired!  But the noise outside my cabin kept me awake.

All night there were people walking by my room yelling, screaming, pounding, and talking loud.  I could hear the people next door moving furniture and watching TV.  On the other side, our neighbors had their television on loud and played a radio all night.  In general, I was only able to sleep about three hours a night.  I was so tired, I was not able to enjoy myself during the days. 

Yes, I brought a white noise machine and earplugs but the noise was so bad, they did not help.

Your experiences with noise from outside of your cruise cabin?

I am a light sleeper, so I do occasionally hear sounds from adjoining cabins. I haven't heard much out in the hallways, however. We tend to do longer cruises of at least 10 days and preferably longer, and stay away from itineraries or seasons where there may be lot's of partiers on board. We also cruise on lines that generally have an older clientele. And I always bring industrial grade ear plugs I purchase at my neighborhood hardware store whenever I travel. They have saved me from interrupted sleep many times. 

EDIT: I see on another thread that your bad experience was on Carnival doing a cruise to Mexico. I am not surprised that you had loud people on that cruise. Carnival attracts partiers on those cruises and that often causes some of the noise problems you experienced.  

Edited by SantaFeFan

I have never had a problem with noise from adjacent cabins.

A couple of times, somewhat late, some loud people in the halls, mainly children.

We have had a suite under the outdoor section of the buffet, and have some noise early when they are moving tables and chairs around.  It does not wake me up, but if I wake up, it may inhibit my ability to fall back asleep. 

What ship and type of cabin did you have?  Did you have a connecting cabin (door to the next cabin)?

Edited by SRF

Never had issues such as you describe.  What cruise line was this and where was your stateroom located?  Why would people be moving furniture? - sounds very odd.  If situations such as this persisted, you could have contacted guest services to assist. 

The only time we've ever heard anything was when we had a stateroom that was directly under the pool deck, and for a short time late at night we could here the deck chairs being moved across the deck by the crew in preparation for the next day's use.

1 hour ago, librarygal said:

After a full day of activities on the cruise, I was ready for bed at 10 PM.  I was so tired!  But the noise outside my cabin kept me awake.

All night there were people walking by my room yelling, screaming, pounding, and talking loud.  I could hear the people next door moving furniture and watching TV.  On the other side, our neighbors had their television on loud and played a radio all night.  In general, I was only able to sleep about three hours a night.  I was so tired, I was not able to enjoy myself during the days. 

Yes, I brought a white noise machine and earplugs but the noise was so bad, they did not help.

Never experienced any noisy neighbors or noisy people (what you described) walking by our cabin all night long. Did you report the noisy neighbors to GS? You can't expect a cruise ship to be like a library. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by davekathy

You will hear noises from the hallway....really can't be helped.  Perhaps a towel rolled up tightly and stuffed under the door would help a bit.

We've never been bothered by adjacent cabin noise, but I'm sure it's possible!  We have had noise from above at times, but it's not been loud enough to keep me awake....thumps and bumps from the pool deck.....

11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Never experienced any noisy neighbors or noisy people (what you described) walking by our cabin all night long. Did you report the noisy neighbors to GS? You can't expect a cruise ship to be like a library. :classic_biggrin:

We were in the middle of the ship and just one of the hundreds of doors that people pass as they move from place to place.  Lots of the fellow cruisers on the ship were part of large groups and would party all day and night.  As people walked up and down the hall at 3:00 AM they made lots of noise and I was woken.  Complaining to Guest Services would have been a waste of time because the hallway noise came from random people who walked by a drunk at the middle of the night.  By the time security would have come, they would have moved on and 30 minutes later another group would be making noise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, librarygal said:

We were in the middle of the ship and just one of the hundreds of doors that people pass as they move from place to place.  Lots of the fellow cruisers on the ship were part of large groups and would party all day and night.  As people walked up and down the hall at 3:00 AM they made lots of noise and I was woken.  Complaining to Guest Services would have been a waste of time because the hallway noise came from random people who walked by a drunk at the middle of the night.  By the time security would have come, they would have moved on and 30 minutes later another group would be making noise.

I asked if you reported your noisy neighbors to GS not those walking the hallways. You're noisy neighbors weren't going anywhere. 

1 hour ago, librarygal said:

9 minutes ago, librarygal said:

1.  You contradict yourself.  Was the primary problem from the hallway or from the neighbors?

2.  GS would have been able to address roving groups of people in the hallways, had you alerted them.  Especially if it was a continuing issue.  You didn't try, that's on you.  There also may have been opportunity for them to move you to an empty cabin elsewhere on the ship, should there have been one available.

IMO, you failed to address these issues while on board.  You can't really expect to come here and find a huge amount of sympathy.  I'm sorry that you had a bad time on your cruise, but you do have to accept some of the responsibility for failing to address the issues when you had the chance.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, librarygal said:

Well every corridor on every ship is one with hundreds of doors for people to pass by, so in that respect location would not be a factor.  The bigger issue seems to be with the fact, as revealed by Grandma Dazzles, that you were on a short Carnival cruise.  That line in particular with that duration of a cruise is notorious for being know as a "booze cruise".  Unfortunately, the groups you refer to were likely part of that genre. 

You still, as also mentioned, could -and should - have reported your concerns to GS. At the very least with those regarding your neighbors. To not do so is to accept the issue IMO.

It would also be helpful if you had provided more complete information with your original post, which was a bit too general.  You should have included cruise line, duration of cruise, etc., to get the better answers specific to your issues.  Noise such as you describe does not typically exist on most longer itineraries but is somewhat common on that on which you cruised.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It would be nice if the OP posted more info such as the ship, itinerary and length of cruise.  But I will suggest something that horrifies many experienced cruisers.  DW and I love cabins near the bow.....forward of the forward staircase/elevators.   Why?  The further forward the less foot traffic.  In fact, on a recent Emerald Princess cruise we had a the 2nd cabin behind the bridge and it was always quiet because there was no foot traffic.  One other advantage is that those forward cabins are often less costly (and less popular).   Forward cabins are also quiet because the heaviest and noisiest machinery (engines) are arrayed around the center of the ship (center of gravity) and the props or azipods are towards the aft (except on the new Celebrity Edge).

But most cruisers avoid forward cabins because that is the area of the ship that will experience the most movement in heavy seas.  That part is true, but DW and I do not mind some motion and late at night it even rocks us asleep :).   The irony is that the amidship cabins are the most popular, the most expensive, and will also have the most foot traffic.  We are also not great fans of the aft cabins (which also are popular with many) because on many ships you can experience a shimmy motion (caused by the props) not to mention vibration from the props and related cavitation.

Hank

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It would be nice if the OP posted more info such as the ship, itinerary and length of cruise. 

Hank

On the other thread the OP started about this experience she mentioned it was Carnival Horizon on a 5 day cruise to Mexico out of Miami.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Also, she had similar posts in 2012 about a 7 day RCCL cruise.  She is not a new cruiser.  She said that at that time it was her SIXTH cruise.  Perhaps she should have learned from the responses she got there, which were very similar to what she has here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Also, she had similar posts in 2012 about a 7 day RCCL cruise.  She is not a new cruiser.  She said that at that time it was her SIXTH cruise.  Perhaps she should have learned from the responses she got there, which were very similar to what she has here.

Reading her older posts , I don't know why she still cruises ? Very negative experiences .

12 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Kind of wonder what cruise line??  We have oaver 60 cruises, rarely hear anything ....

As noted, OPs most recent report was on their Carnival cruise.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2628769-do-you-find-cruise-cabins-noisy-at-night/

But, also as noted, it almost reads like another cruise they took (and complained about) 7 years ago 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1569507-ever-heard-of-anyone-leaving-the-ship-mid-cruise-because-they-did-not-like-it/

Edited by Shmoo here

32 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

As noted, OPs most recent report was on their Carnival cruise.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2628769-do-you-find-cruise-cabins-noisy-at-night/

But, also as noted, it almost reads like another cruise they took (and complained about) 7 years ago 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1569507-ever-heard-of-anyone-leaving-the-ship-mid-cruise-because-they-did-not-like-it/

On another thread she made another questionable comment: 

On a previous cruise a few years ago, the cruiseline had tours of the kitchen facilities on the first or second day. Large groups of people were allowed to walk through the kitchen and see how they prepared the food. It was an eye opening experience. They had 100s of immigrant workers doing "prep cook" assignments, such as putting a single item on each plate. Or scrap off the food from each plate. It must be incredibly boring...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1576259-have-you-ever-toured-the-cruiseships-kitchens-before/?tab=comments#comment-32745440

"They had 100s of immigrant workers...."  Seriously?

• Haha 1