Haiti Travel Advisory Level 4: Do Not Travel

BAreEhD

The Governments of Canada and the United States have issued advisories against travel to Haiti:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/haiti-travel-advisory.html

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/haiti

What does RCI normally do in this case? I can't imagine they'd go anyway. Do they do an extra day at sea or is there somewhere else they'd go?

Do not travel to Haiti due to crime and civil unrest.

There are currently widespread, violent, and unpredictable demonstrations in Port-au-Prince and elsewhere in Haiti.  Due to these demonstrations, on February 14, 2019, the Department of State ordered the departure of all non-emergency U.S. personnel and their family members. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Haiti.

Protests, tire burning, and road blockages are frequent and unpredictable.  Violent crime, such as armed robbery, is common. Local police may lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents, and emergency response, including ambulance service, is limited or non-existent.

Travelers are sometimes targeted, followed, and violently attacked and robbed shortly after leaving the Port-au-Prince international airport. The U.S. Embassy requires its personnel to use official transportation to and from the airport, and it takes steps to detect surveillance and deter criminal attacks during these transports.

Avoid all travel to Haiti due to civil unrest throughout the country. The security situation could further deteriorate quickly. You should consider leaving by commercial means while they are available.

Violent protests have been taking place across the country since February 7, 2019.

Burning barricades are disrupting traffic in the main streets of Port-au-Prince. Access to the Toussaint Louverture International Airport is difficult and could be blocked without notice. Clashes, sometimes involving the use of firearms, have resulted in casualties.

Limit your movements
Avoid large gatherings
Avoid crossing road blockades, even if they appear unattended
Plan to have adequate water and food supplies
Contact your airline or tour operator to determine if the situation will disrupt your travel plans

Royal Caribbean's private peninsula of Labadee is located near the area labeled "Cap-Haitien" on the map shown below. Much of the civil unrest described on the state department's website is in and around the Port-au-Prince area and has been going on for ages. Labadee is a fenced-off area removed from the main island and is barely even a part of Haiti, although some of the locals are allowed to come into the area to sell goods and work while the ship is in port.

Ships stop here all the time with no issues. Feels pretty much like any other cruise lines' private island except with a zip line and a coaster.

fullsizeoutput_bb3.jpeg

• Like 3

Labadee is not an area that most Haitians would bother to travel to.  Remember, Haiti is a very poor country and the area surrounding Labadee is not very populated.   It's also bordered by mountains which requires vehicles which very few Haitians have access to.  The area is fenced off by land and the cruiseline pays some locals to guard the surrounding waters.  There has never been an issue at Labadee  that I have heard of.  I'd say the vast majority of Haitians probably don't even know it exists.  We've been to Labadee 7 or 8 times and once was a few weeks after the earthquake in 2010, when RCI brought in tons of relief supplies for Haiti, and have never felt unsafe.

57 minutes ago, BAreEhD said:

The Governments of Canada and the United States have issued advisories against travel to Haiti:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/haiti-travel-advisory.html

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/haiti

What does RCI normally do in this case? I can't imagine they'd go anyway. Do they do an extra day at sea or is there somewhere else they'd go?

Not likely Royal will change anything. There are always travel advisories for Haiti

There have been protests in the past that kept the ships from docking in Labadee.  The protesters were in little boats attempting to block the entrance.  

Otherwise Labadee is usually quite safe as a leased small point of land with a large fence that is heavily guarded...and as mentioned...bordered by mountains making it a tough road to get there.  

Not really a fan of Labadee and would not be disappointed to miss the port on a cruise, which we have due to high winds.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

Labadee is NOT Haiti.  It is well-protected.  When we were there in 2006 (during some unrest in Haiti), they assured us it was perfectly safe and that the UN was 2 minute helicopter flight away if we needed them.  Royal would never risk the safety of their guests at their private destination.  It is well guarded.

47 minutes ago, EMBFlyer said:

Labadee is NOT Haiti.  It is well-protected.  When we were there in 2006 (during some unrest in Haiti), they assured us it was perfectly safe and that the UN was 2 minute helicopter flight away if we needed them.  Royal would never risk the safety of their guests at their private destination.  It is well guarded.

Hmm...what country is it located in then?  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, EMBFlyer said:

Sorry but Labadee is Haiti. Yes it is well protected but none the less it is still part of the country.

I have no issue stopping there and have done the Zip Line where you actually do exit the compound.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Goofyfanatic said:

You beat me to the reply!

LOL...  😉 

I enjoyed Labadee more when it was a tendered port, and more natural.  The best snorkel beach was actually where they put the pier in.  Sigh...things change, and now look at Coco Cay.  😮 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

I am 100% sure that EMBFlyer meant that what is said/posted/advised about "Haiti" does not apply to "Labadee".   S/He meant that it is so separate and well-protected that a warning about "Haiti" simply doesn't have anything to do with RC's visits to the peninsula of Labadee and the private compound.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am 100% sure that EMBFlyer meant that what is said/posted/advised about "Haiti" does not apply to "Labadee".   S/He meant that it is so separate and well-protected that a warning about "Haiti" simply doesn't have anything to do with RC's visits to the peninsula of Labadee and the private compound.

Agree...see my post #8...but no matter how you flavor it...Labadee is still in the country of Haiti.  

And contrary to what some like to call it...Labadee port of call is not an island ....like Coco Cay is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

That's exactly what I meant.

We're concerned about this too, we were really looking forward to the zip lining and hoping it's not going to be cancelled.  A quick search showed that they have had to cancel this stop in the past due to protests:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/cruiselog/2016/01/20/royal-caribbean-ship-drops-haiti-amid-protests/79056806/

• Like 1

Just stopped in Labadee today. Felt very safe. Did not like the constant bombarding of locals to try and get you to buy things. Did the wave jet tour and even stopped to see the local floating market. Was a great stop.

E38ECBAF-2389-4A69-A93B-E8EA65BF5945.jpeg

Edited by RiceCouple

4 hours ago, RiceCouple said:

Just stopped in Labadee today. Felt very safe. Did not like the constant bombarding of locals to try and get you to buy things. Did the wave jet tour and even stopped to see the local floating market. Was a great stop.

It's important to note that you don't have to go ANYWHERE NEAR the "bombarding locals" if you don't want to, and the local vendors are not allowed anywhere other than in their little market area -- they cannot come onto the beaches or eating areas and harass you like can be experienced at public beaches on other islands.  

If you're being bombarded by locals, it's because you went into their area.  Leave their area and the bombardment will cease.  

I also agree that Labadee is NOTHING like "going to Haiti" -- the whole area is very secure and not available to the general local population.

The Haitians who live near Labadee rely on it for their livelihood and the port and the Royal Caribbean have been responsible for a dramatic improvement in the quality of life for those workers and their families. It is considered one of the best places to live in the country with the best opportunity thanks to the cruise passengers.  They are going to ensure it is fully secured .  For the rare times that the concern has exceeded the confidence of the cruise line, they have cancelled the stop for a couple of sailings.

Our local guide on our kayak excursion told us "everyone" in Haiti wants to move to Labadee to get a job and a better life.  They are deeply grateful, want the cruise passengers to keep coming forever, and want them to be safe and happy to preserve what is, in this troubled and impoverished land, nothing less than a gold mine.  I was very conflicted before visiting there and now I would be glad to return often and have deep respect for Royal Caribbean's investment in this place.  Economic improvement goes a long way towards stabilizing society.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Amberle3 said:

We're concerned about this too, we were really looking forward to the zip lining and hoping it's not going to be cancelled.  A quick search showed that they have had to cancel this stop in the past due to protests:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/cruiselog/2016/01/20/royal-caribbean-ship-drops-haiti-amid-protests/79056806/

Yes, but this was a protest right at Labadee.

steamboats

Our stop at Labadee was cancelled on our Vision cruise several years ago due to protests.  Probably the same type in the posted article, the captain announced the evening before that we would not be going.  

Personally, I didn’t mind as I’m not a fan of Labadee since the “improvements”. 🙄

Sherri🙂