Flight at 9:45 out of FLL - cutting to close?

Eliza3

We are sailing on the Infinity the end of March.  We dock at 7AM, planning on being first in line to walk off with our own luggage.   I know it's risky but can I get to FLL for a 9:45 flight?   We arrive on a Saturday and we have PreCheck.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Eliza3 said:

We are sailing on the Infinity the end of March.  We dock at 7AM, planning on being first in line to walk off with our own luggage.   I know it's risky but can I get to FLL for a 9:45 flight?   We arrive on a Saturday and we have PreCheck.

Thanks!

It's pretty tight but doable as long nothing holds the ship up from clearing. Hope you're not flying internationally. Good luck!

Lots of people make flights that early.  A few don’t.  What will you do if you don’t?  Where are you going? How many other flights go there that day? How much will standby cost? Do you have any loyalty status that will put you at the top of the standby list? How important is it for you to get home that day? Are you willing to find last minute accommodation in Florida if you wait all day at tge airport and never make a stand by flight?

IMO much too close- while it is possible, it is also possible that you have a problem.  The ship might not be cleared early- so that could cause a delay- also on our last Edge cruise, getting transportation to the airport was a nightmare- instead of the usual taxi's lined up, a few came one by one-  We waited over 45 minutes for a cab.  Then what about possible traffic or airport delays?

Try after 11 to avoid stress.

Thanks for the responses.  I am flying to Boston so there are other options later in the day, I just want to get to a family event that afternoon if possible :)

I do have airline status  so I may risk it knowing I may have to regroup.   

21 minutes ago, verizon said:

Just relax and enjoy your vacation.

You easily make your flight.

They usually disembark around 8:00am in Port Everglade.It only takes 10 minutes to airport.

Bad advice, problem is the last thing I would ever want to do is go on a cruise and worry whether I'm going to make my flight at the end of the cruise. 

35 minutes ago, Eliza3 said:

Thanks for the responses.  I am flying to Boston so there are other options later in the day, I just want to get to a family event that afternoon if possible 🙂

I do have airline status  so I may risk it knowing I may have to regroup.   

In that case, go for it!

If you make it you’re gold. 

If not you have a backup plan and no stress.

We were off the ship by 8:30 or shortly thereafter but the lines at the airport(Southwest) were long.  I would not enjoy sweating making the flight.  An 11 or after would afford you a calmer return flight home.

23 minutes ago, dazey said:

We were off the ship by 8:30 or shortly thereafter but the lines at the airport(Southwest) were long.  I would not enjoy sweating making the flight.  An 11 or after would afford you a calmer return flight home.

Eliza3 has PreCheck She has no problem at airport.

Just off Summit last month (January) in SJU.  I know, completely different port....but with a 7am arrival time (even during the government shutdown) we were sitting at the gate at the airport at 7:45am.  

Walk off can really be fast!

We are on the Silhouette next week and I faced this same problem for our return.  I originally booked a 10:15 flight out of FLL to return home, but after I booked it I began worrying about whether I made a mistake and knew that I would be fretting about making the flight on our last couple of days on the cruise. Vacations are suppose to be relaxing and stress free so I knew I needed to change our plans. 

I found a 3pm flight home leaving out of Palm Beach, which is an hour away from FLL, had our flights switched, hired a car service to meet us and drive us to PBI.

So glad I did! Now we can enjoy our cruise with no worries!

Edited by CruisersTimesThree

Along with early walk-off the ship and TSA pre-check, if you’re not flying Busines/ First, it’s really helpful to have some kind of priority baggage check-in line at the airport, since you won’t be able to use the ez check luggage service at that hour.  See if Sky Priority or Premier Access or whatever is available for a few bucks on your airline’s website.  

Came off Infinity on February 14, made a 9:45am flight with plenty of time, but we did not check any bags, just used carry on for the 5 night cruise.  Also we did not have to go thru Immigration having done that the day before in Key West. Those two factors really helped our timing.  Keep that in mind.

Happy sailing!

It wouldn't be my preferred time, but we've taken enough cruises now that I would do it if I had to. Last week we made it to FLL from POM by 8:30am and we didn't really even rush to make that happen. Walked down to deck 5 around 7:20am and proceeded directly off the ship with no line at all and customs officers waiting with empty lanes. I think we hit the window where all the walk-offs were cleared and numbers hadn't been called yet. Yes, it is risky, but I think there is a higher probability you will make it than won't. 

13 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

It wouldn't be my preferred time, but we've taken enough cruises now that I would do it if I had to. Last week we made it to FLL from POM by 8:30am and we didn't really even rush to make that happen. Walked down to deck 5 around 7:20am and proceeded directly off the ship with no line at all and customs officers waiting with empty lanes. I think we hit the window where all the walk-offs were cleared and numbers hadn't been called yet. Yes, it is risky, but I think there is a higher probability you will make it than won't. 

Its not the arrival of the ships problem.They both arrive almost the same time to port.

The problem is what time the immigration officers start working.

I have cruised enough that I know Port of Miami always start immigration process at 6:45 -7:00am.In Port Everglade always around 8:00am

8 hours ago, verizon said:

Just relax and enjoy your vacation.

You easily make your flight.

They usually disembark around 8:00am in Port Everglade.It only takes 10 minutes to airport.

It might take 10 minutes once you clear the port area but not from the docks Celebrity uses. That's if everything go perfect. The last time we left from Ft. Lauderdale it was 25 minutes from the time we got in the taxi until airport arrival.

Last year, had a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale, had to come from Miami. First off ship at 6:45. Had transportation waiting, arrived and checked bags, cleared security and waiting to board at 7:50, so would think no problem making the flight. Anything could go wrong at any time, but that's a chance we all take. We made our 9:20 flight without any problem.

Last two arrivals at Port Everglades was curbside by 715 (last 11 months) airport is five to 10 minutes away; load Mobile Passport (free app) on your phone, dedicated short or no line at CBP.  Just do self assist and you will have no problem whatsoever.   Also there's a fun free app called Cruise Schedules Port Everglades; it is an unofficial app listing all ships/docks departures/arrivals at Port Everglades; may help with planning...