Thunderstorms

4 minutes ago, goingcrazywithkids said:

The day we are supposed to be in cococay the forecast is thunderstorms from morning until night....it isnt looking so good to go to cococay 😞

With a forecast that far in the future, the weather is probably going to be the exact opposite of the forecast!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

a few cruises ago, there was bad weather forecast at Labadee.    The evening before arriving there, the captain came on the intercom and told us that because of the bad weather he was diverting to a calmer area of the ocean and we had another sea day.   All planned excursions were refunded.    Turned out to be a beautiful day at sea.   Captain made a good decision.

• Like 1

We've cruised through thunderstorms leaving both Baltimore and Cape Liberty.  Thunderstorms don't necessarily mean bad seas.  We've had heavy rain, thunder, lightning, etc.  One time on Explorer the night we left CL, we had a t-storm with lightning.  We were walking across the pool deck under the overhang when lightning struck, probably hit the ship, but it wasn't dangerous at all, just loud.  We've been through rain, t-storms, wind, etc.  During the day, they try to avoid rain if they can, but at night, not so much.  Sometimes, it's not avoidable.  

As for Coco Cay, they usually don't know until they arrive what the weather will be.  We've missed CC 3/4 times.  We've had sea days that were rainy too.  It is what it is.

Edited by BND

36 minutes ago, goingcrazywithkids said:

The day we are supposed to be in cococay the forecast is thunderstorms from morning until night....it isnt looking so good to go to cococay 😞

With all of the changes made to CocoCay, and the revenue potential, I’m surprised RCI didn’t build a giant dome over the entire island.😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

For your sake, I hope it changes, and you can go to Coco Cay.

I personally enjoyed sailing through storms, the couple times that I have. I like that type of weather, especially at night.

It's weird but I'm like this too. Always look forward to at least a bit of mild weather to keep things interesting. We've sailed through thunderstorms before and it was thrilling.  I was surprised at how not rough the seas were either (maybe because we were on Allure) but found it a nice gentle rocking while watching Mama Mia.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

I personally enjoyed sailing through storms, the couple times that I have. I like that type of weather, especially at night.

I do too, some of my favorite cruise memories are the storms - especially when you can see them in the distance from the balcony or upper deck at night - beautiful light shows!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BND said:

We've cruised through thunderstorms leaving both Baltimore and Cape Liberty.  Thunderstorms don't necessarily mean bad seas.  We've had heavy rain, thunder, lightning, etc.  One time on Explorer the night we left CL, we had a t-storm with lightning.  We were walking across the pool deck under the overhang when lightning struck, probably hit the ship, but it wasn't dangerous at all, just loud.  We've been through rain, t-storms, wind, etc.  During the day, they try to avoid rain if they can, but at night, not so much.  Sometimes, it's not avoidable.  

This has been our experience also.

Last cruise, coming back to Baltimore, there are lots of storms, mostly off to the side of our track, but hit a couple.

Later one night the summer of 2017 we were having fun on the Equinox at one of the bars and decided to go outside, top deck, to the to the Sunset bar.  As we opened the door to go outside, we see lighting everywhere, downpour, and strong wind!  Didn't have a clue.  You couldn't tell whatsoever inside the ship.  

Dan

4 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

I do too, some of my favorite cruise memories are the storms - especially when you can see them in the distance from the balcony or upper deck at night - beautiful light shows!

Agree. While at Sea, at nite, is a Beautiful site!

• Like 1

Sailing through regular thunderstorms can be quite fun and usually the seas are not any rougher as long as it's not a hurricane etc. 

I would STRONGELY caution you about paying attention to tropical forecasts on apps and weather services. I live in Puerto Vallarta and during the entire rainy season those apps have us as thunderstorms every single day....even if we don't see rains for a week! They basically assume "somewhere" in the forecast area will see storms so they cover their bases. I can't tell you how many friends were coming to visit us and always panicked that every day had thunderstorms predicted. Once I told them it may rain 1 hour a day around 5pm and the rest would be great weather they relaxed....and we were right.

Stop looking at the forecast and start looking at everything you will do on the ship and in ports and ENJOY!! 

Bridge tour on Oasis this month, the officer told us they had a 5 mile "wiggle room" to variate the planned route.  Earlier in the day we saw an obvious squall on the horizon ahead of us, could tell the bridge turned slightly to avoid it.  As we looked back later...yikes...a waterspout developed.  Good call on that one!  😮 

26 minutes ago, island lady said:

Bridge tour on Oasis this month, the officer told us they had a 5 mile "wiggle room" to variate the planned route.  Earlier in the day we saw an obvious squall on the horizon ahead of us, could tell the bridge turned slightly to avoid it.  As we looked back later...yikes...a waterspout developed.  Good call on that one!  😮 

We were on Celebrity Summit a couple of years ago and saw a water spout.  

1 hour ago, SakeDad said:

Sailing through regular thunderstorms can be quite fun and usually the seas are not any rougher as long as it's not a hurricane etc. 

I would STRONGELY caution you about paying attention to tropical forecasts on apps and weather services. I live in Puerto Vallarta and during the entire rainy season those apps have us as thunderstorms every single day....even if we don't see rains for a week! They basically assume "somewhere" in the forecast area will see storms so they cover their bases. I can't tell you how many friends were coming to visit us and always panicked that every day had thunderstorms predicted. Once I told them it may rain 1 hour a day around 5pm and the rest would be great weather they relaxed....and we were right.

Stop looking at the forecast and start looking at everything you will do on the ship and in ports and ENJOY!! 

Over the last 30yrs have missed/changed couple dozen Ports, many due to Tropical Storms & Hurricanes. When was still working in 90's took Cruises several times over Labor Day, was 1/3 cheaper back then and Holiday weekend not having take as much Leave from Military. One sailing had 4 Caribbean Hurricanes. Was wild ride even though were not with in many miles of storms, was following one that had came threw, waves so choppy back/forth and side to side. Swear at times floor would just drop 10ft. Many many sea sick passengers on that cruise, crutches and wheelchairs, though for me was an adventure. Back then everyone watched Weather Channel before cruises as Internet was still new and so slow would take 9-10 minutes to download one picture

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

7 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

I agree. Night time thunderstorms at sea are beautiful. I can remember one time having other things that I wanted to do but couldn't take myself away from watching the lightning.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I would love to see a thunderstorm at sea!

On my very first night of my first cruise on the Crown Princess there was this incredible thunderstorm at night with lightening everywhere. It was really cool, I literally knew right then and there out on the deck watching lightening bolts and blue flashes that I had already fallen in love with cruising. Going on 7 cruises now and the love is still there.

1 minute ago, JAMESCC said:

On my very first night of my first cruise on the Crown Princess there was this incredible thunderstorm at night with lightening everywhere. It was really cool, I literally knew right then and there out on the deck watching lightening bolts and blue flashes that I had already fallen in love with cruising. Going on 7 cruises now and the love is still there.

Jealous!