Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

On 4/1/2019 at 1:37 PM, br111 said:

An online newspaper in the Bahamas has tweeted video of what seems to be a crane that has partially collapsed into the stern of Oasis in Freeport. (It seems that maybe it was there for a week-long wet dock?) It also seems she is listing slightly to starboard. Can't find any other details at the moment.

https://twitter.com/Bahamaspress/status/1112772498427441152

If I were the guy in charge of the remodels for RCCL I'd find another shipyard for my boats than Freeport. Navigator has some real structural issues since coming back from their remodel and now you have a crane accident with Oasis...somebody not running the show right in Freeport.

13 minutes ago, jlshouston said:

If I were the guy in charge of the remodels for RCCL I'd find another shipyard for my boats than Freeport. Navigator has some real structural issues since coming back from their remodel and now you have a crane accident with Oasis...somebody not running the show right in Freeport.

Curious to what are the structural issues are?  I have not read or heard about them and she’s been out of dry dock for a little while. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Curious to what are the structural issues are?  I have not read or heard about them and she’s been out of dry dock for a little while. 

No expert here, but based on my sense of smell and observing the pooling water after using a shower in the spa,  the drains in the shower/steam room from spa Deck 12 are impacting deck 11. I thought she got out of dry dock in March? 

3 hours ago, jlshouston said:

No expert here, but based on my sense of smell and observing the pooling water after using a shower in the spa,  the drains in the shower/steam room from spa Deck 12 are impacting deck 11. I thought she got out of dry dock in March? 

So a possible slow drain leads to structural issues?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jlshouston said:

Royal owns 40% of that shipyard.  You think they are going to go somewhere else?  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

So a possible slow drain leads to structural issues?

There was nothing slow about the deluge of water that pooled and flooded the floor with very little of it reaching the drain, like maybe the drains could have been inset a bit to direct water flow? Maybe the pooling is seeping into walls and that could contribute to mold and mildew which would account for the smell on deck 11 directly below the spa? I dunno, ask me about flatbed freight I'm knowledgeable , constructions stuff no. 

54 minutes ago, jlshouston said:

There was nothing slow about the deluge of water that pooled and flooded the floor with very little of it reaching the drain, like maybe the drains could have been inset a bit to direct water flow? Maybe the pooling is seeping into walls and that could contribute to mold and mildew which would account for the smell on deck 11 directly below the spa? I dunno, ask me about flatbed freight I'm knowledgeable , constructions stuff no. 

That's not structural, that's just poor attention to detail on the finish work.  And before you comment that if there was poor attention to detail there, it could also be the case structurally, that's a totally different set of contractors...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlshouston said:

So the ship is sailing with deadly mold? Do you have lab tests verifying this fact? 

And mold is a structural issue?

Edited by BirdTravels

6 hours ago, jlshouston said:

Where would they go.

17 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So the ship is sailing with deadly mold? Do you have lab tests verifying this fact? 

And mold is a structural issue?

Deadly mold? I have no idea I didn't observe mold. I thought I said I smelled mildew/mold on Deck 11. I didn't smell it elsewhere on the ship. And I observed improper/inadequate draining in the shower/steam room on deck 12 directly above where my room was located. 

12 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Where would they go.

That's the only ship yard that does large ship repairs and remodels?

54 minutes ago, hallux said:

That's not structural, that's just poor attention to detail on the finish work.  And before you comment that if there was poor attention to detail there, it could also be the case structurally, that's a totally different set of contractors...

I figured structural worked as an adjective because the drains weren't doing the job drains are suppose to, which is prevent water from pooling instead of draining. Actually the more I think of it probably just bad design and structurally it's just fine except the drains don't drain.

In the case of Navigator I think they bit off more than they could accomplish in the time allotted.   Poor project management who made a project plan based on a best case scenario leaving no time in the plan for unknowns, weather and those "this should one hour but actually took 6 hours" tasks.  

The spa on deck 12 forward is left over from the old days.  The new cabins on deck 11 forward consumed the former gym area one deck below the spa.  The floor and structure of that area was likely largely unchanged.   New plumbing and electrical not withstanding of course.  

I don't yet understand the underlying causes of the crane collapse. That will come up from an investigation. So for now, I'll accept...the crane tilted...went boom...and landed on the ship. Major damage was incurred. Ship will be fixed and sail again. Many cruisers are disappointed that multiple cruises have been cancelled. Refunds have been granted according to type of reservations made by the guest. I hope I summed this up OK.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

I don't yet understand the underlying causes of the crane collapse. That will come up from an investigation. So for now, I'll accept...the crane tilted...went boom...and landed on the ship. Major damage was incurred. Ship will be fixed and sail again. Many cruisers are disappointed that multiple cruises have been cancelled. Refunds have been granted according to type of reservations made by the guest. I hope I summed this up OK.

I thought I read (in this thread) that some part of the dry dock failed,  making the ship (or dry dock structure) tilt into the crane.

4 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Nope!

4 hours ago, baldilocks said:

We will have to wait for the investigation to know what actually happened. None of us was there, so we can only speculate about the root cause.

If the crane had simply fallen on the ship, that would not have caused Oasis or the dock to list as they clearly did from the photos. This was clearly a failure of the dock, as has been acknowledged by the shipyard.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jlshouston said:

Deadly mold? I have no idea I didn't observe mold. I thought I said I smelled mildew/mold on Deck 11. I didn't smell it elsewhere on the ship. And I observed improper/inadequate draining in the shower/steam room on deck 12 directly above where my room was located. 

That's the only ship yard that does large ship repairs and remodels?

There are very few shipyards in the western hemisphere that do ship repair work, especially when you take the US out due to cost. Because of the limited number of yards, and the fact that cruise ships account for about 5% of the world's shipping, all of which needs drydocking, scheduling is limited.

• Like 1

It looks like the Caribbean Princess has arrived in Freeport for some work but it did not go to either of the dry docks but went to the spot where the Oasis went after it was removed from dry dock 2.  Perhaps this suggests that dry dock 3 can't handle ships that size and the shipyard needs to find a plan B.  I wonder if the plan will be to do all of the above water dry docks on ships and then find another location later to do all of the below water work.   Since it seems that much of the below water propulsion work can be done in a week, can they do the other below water repairs and painting in a week?

1 minute ago, TurtleCrossing1 said:

What effect will this drydock have in the major drydock planned this fall? What will she get?

I doubt this drydock has any effect on the fall drydock at all. They may be able to knock out a few items of low hanging fruit, but for the most part they aren't going to have supplies in place to move ahead on much of anything planned for this fall. 

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

If the crane had simply fallen on the ship, that would not have caused Oasis or the dock to list as they clearly did from the photos. This was clearly a failure of the dock, as has been acknowledged by the shipyard.

You will have to look deeper for the root cause. Why did the dock fail?  Crane weight?  Crane position? Dock supports? Dock maintenance?  Human error? There is a lot more to investigate before the actual root cause can be determined. It is sort of like an airplane crash. The engine quit and the plane crashed. But why did the engine quit?