Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
hubbard53

Has anyone ever suspected HAL of diluted spirits?

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

The Bar List shows "Chocolate Mint Buzz" on every cruise I've ordered it, as noted  by Despegue.

and the 2nd recipe shows mint as just a garnish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, catl331 said:

and the 2nd recipe shows mint as just a garnish

That  recipe is For a Chocolate buzz, NOT a chocolate MINT buzz. Different drinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fairness to the OP, I can see where he might get this idea.  On my last cruise, I ordered a martini and because it was shaken so much, it tasted watery without any gin flavor.  I complained and the bartender added some gin to the drink. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, doublebzz said:

In fairness to the OP, I can see where he might get this idea.  On my last cruise, I ordered a martini and because it was shaken so much, it tasted watery without any gin flavor.  I complained and the bartender added some gin to the drink. 

I should have done that but since i had the drink package i just drank it and got another... you would have thought I'd be passed out on a longer... luckily, it's all watered down 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. I ordered a Mai Tai yesterday in the Lido, and there was plenty of rum. I dozed off sitting up in my lounge chair on the balcony.

 

Actually, it was the best cruise ship Mai Tai I’ve had in years, with actual fruit juices used for a change. The ones made with powdered-tasting mixes are awful, a waste of rum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in the business and never felt I was getting a particularly weak drink, frequently just the opposite as some have stated.

Keep in mind that watering down bottles or putting cheap liquor in a high end bottle is not only unethical but highly illegal in most jurisdictions.

Not worth taking the risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually usually request half of what they usually put in a mixed drink because I'm a light weight 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please keep in mind ... a jigger is not very much alcohol.  :classic_rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my drink is a Whiskey Sour on the rocks.  HAL has never watered it down and I watch them make mine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hubbard53 said:

ok, well, guess it's just me and my party of drunkards 🥃

 

I do appreciate those that commented even @DeeniEncinitas and @esimon -- you two should learn to be nice 😉

 

wow  - just wow   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's very illegal and they can be inspected in any port of call so it would be pretty dumb if they were. They already have a 95% markup on their drinks. I cant imagine they would break the law for another 2 or 3 percent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got off of the Eurodam, 28 days to Hawaii and Tahiti.  We had the SBP.   In the Pinnacle bar and Ocean bar, I watch the bartenders mix the drinks.  Many times, when they are busy, they free-pour, and it is way over a single shot.  You certainly cannot judge the amount of alcohol in your drink by your level of "buzz".   Many things affect that, including how much food you have eaten recently and on a cruise, we know it is usually more than normal.

The only difference I see in pours is in the MDR for glasses of wine.  In the MDR, the pour is right up to the widest part of the wine glass, appearing to be half full.  But this is a normal pour for wine.  In the Lido bar and Seaview bar, they fill the wine glasses right up to the top, even to the point where you have to take a sip before picking up the glass.   So, if anything, the bars on deck 9 are over-pouring.   And no, I have never had a watered down drink on a HAL ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

 

The only difference I see in pours is in the MDR for glasses of wine.  In the MDR, the pour is right up to the widest part of the wine glass, appearing to be half full.  But this is a normal pour for wine.  In the Lido bar and Seaview bar, they fill the wine glasses right up to the top, even to the point where you have to take a sip before picking up the glass.   So, if anything, the bars on deck 9 are over-pouring.   And no, I have never had a watered down drink on a HAL ship.

 

The glasses at Lido and Seaview Bar are different style glasses (plastic and different shape) than Ocean Bar and MDR.  HAL’s Pour is 5 oz.   No overpour at these two bars.  If you see the glasses side by side, you can see the difference.

 

We’ve also never had waterered down drinks on HAL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the NA last month. Drinks were strong! Had to ask for "light" drinks (margaritas and wang wangs). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, idiebabe said:

 

The glasses at Lido and Seaview Bar are different style glasses (plastic and different shape) than Ocean Bar and MDR.  HAL’s Pour is 5 oz.   No overpour at these two bars.  If you see the glasses side by side, you can see the difference.

 

We’ve also never had waterered down drinks on HAL.  

 

5 ounces for what type of drink?

 

We order Grey Goose on the rocks and the bartenders don't even fill the shot glass to the white line -- thus you don't even get 1 ounce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wales4ever said:

Try a classic martini, then all you will taste is the alcohol.

 

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

 

 

 

We order Grey Goose on the rocks and the bartenders don't even fill the shot glass to the white line -- thus you don't even get 1 ounce.

Notwithstanding the illegality, if HAL were to dilute bottled spirits, it would be a public relations disaster should this practice come out and it surely would in time. Having said that, put an once or so of gin/vodka plus a touch of vermouth and an olive in a martini glass and it will be half full.  However, after two minutes of shaking in a lot of ice, the pour comes close to the top of the glass.  Is this practice illegal - no;  is it unethical - probably not;  does it make for a diluted, unsatisfying drink - absolutely.  In fairness to HAL, this practice is widespread here in the Miami area where a martini/Manhattan averages $15 a drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

 

5 ounces for what type of drink?

 

We order Grey Goose on the rocks and the bartenders don't even fill the shot glass to the white line -- thus you don't even get 1 ounce.

 

Wine not liquor.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 1:37 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

I’m in the business and never felt I was getting a particularly weak drink, frequently just the opposite as some have stated.

Keep in mind that watering down bottles or putting cheap liquor in a high end bottle is not only unethical but highly illegal in most jurisdictions. 

Not worth taking the risk. 

 

23 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

Well, it's very illegal and they can be inspected in any port of call so it would be pretty dumb if they were. They already have a 95% markup on their drinks. I cant imagine they would break the law for another 2 or 3 percent 

 

Just what jurisdiction do you think applies at sea? Do not make the mistake in thinking that most of your home country legal protections apply in international waters, they don't. Especially on ships flying a flag of convivence. And any of the real legal protections you might have are probably waived by the contact you signed to get onboard.

 

I'm fairly certain that they could serve water and call it alcohol, the only consequence would be bad reviews.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you thought your drinks were weak they probably were.  You’ll never know why, but you can ask them to make it stronger which you really consider just normal strength, and see if they accommodate.  Beyond that, I guess all you can do is complain to the front desk, on your survey, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG!  The "Conspiracy theorists" are alive and well on CC!  Say it is not so.   We do have some questions for the OP  1.  Do you think that HAL uses shark meat for scallops?  Are the burgers made from horse meat?  Is the bottled water, onboard, secretly bottled (from tap water) below deck?   And we will not even speculate from what they make the hot dogs.

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m honesty shocked HAL hasn’t forced bartenders to use pour spouts to not allow overpours. They are at nearly every bar in America now unfortunately (bartebees HATE them).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 7:56 AM, DeeniEncinitas said:

I’m sorry but what a ridiculous question IMO.

My answer? No 

Like stated above by others! 

Denise😊

Not a silly question......  people have different tolerances to ethanol,    Some get  effected by a few beers, others can slug down 3 martinis and not feel a thing.    Its quite possibly  the more you drink the more or less you get an effect.     If your putting down almost  2/3 of a pint a day for several days  it will affect  you.....

That said...its been said of bartenders that a good bartender will only rip you off a little.      But all bartenders like casino dealers are working for the house.

Assume what you may.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...