Neighborhood Balconies - Oasis Class - Your opinions

Recently had my first neighborhood balcony on an Oasis class; deck 11 Boardwalk Balcony.  Previous on this class of ship was a deck 8 oceanview hump balcony.  This time I took the neighborhood balcony as there was a promotion attached (Drink, Dine, Discover), could use our balcony discount, and wanted to see if it was good or bad.  Before I share my thoughts on this room type am curious to hear from others what they liked or disliked. 

We booked an Allure neighborhood about two years ago. The price was great; we got a good location, and it was nice to have the free soda package and meal at Johnny Rockets. For us, it wasn't a "which is better" compared to a normal balcony. It was something different and we enjoyed it. We enjoyed sitting out with things to watch and still see the ocean off the aft. There was some minor sound from the late aqua show or a night movie, but we didn't find it an intrusion. We found it to be fun. I/we get balconies when we cruise Anthem, and this satisfies the tranquility desire. Too expensive on Grandeur. But I enjoyed the bustle of the neighborhood balconies and would book it again.

The one downside, it is a really long walk to the front of the ship. Bothers my wife mostly.

I sailed Allure, TA in a Central Park balcony. While it was frustrating for me to find indoor space that overlooked an outward view of the ship, I found that I still really enjoyed the interior balcony. Generally, it was in the shade, I enjoyed people watching and I especially enjoyed the music that would play in the evening. The midship location was really handy too. I have booked a similar balcony for a future cruise, but this time I made sure that our stateroom was closer to where the musicians play and have plans to enjoy our balcony on several evenings.

• Like 1

We normally sail during the premium Easter week in two ocean balcony cabins.  This was our first time on an Oasis class ship.  The prices were already higher than the Freedom class ships we're used to sailing on, so seeing a significant price difference between the ocean balcony and the CP balcony, we decided to give the latter option a chance (we didn't consider Boardwalk because I was concerned about the noise).

While we prefer an ocean view, the Central Park balcony was perfectly fine!  We loved the peaceful setting and the nightly music and had absolutely no issues with people seeing into our room or us seeing things we didn't want to, in their rooms.  We had a mid-ship (ish) location and could easily get to the promenade or up to the pool deck in minutes.  All things equal, I would go with an ocean view balcony but if I'm looking to save some money, the neighborhood balconies are a great option (actually we'd probably book ourselves into an OV balcony and put the kids across the hall in a neighborhood balcony.)

Although  we have not yet sailed on  the  Allure ,  we did plenty of "homework  " in selecting  our cabin .   Our ultimate  decision  was cabin 12721 which is  5 cabins  from the aft.   We made this choice  thinking we have 3 views in 1.   There is a great view of the ocean   ( at least until  they install  the Abyss  ), plus the people watching  on the Boardwalk ,  and the great view of  the  Aqua  Theater  and the various  activities  that go on there.   In our research  we understand  that  the  noise  should  not be a problem ,  but we are super  excited  to  see  for ourselves  in just 38 days !   We will  definitely  do  a review ! 

• Like 1

We did Boardwalk Balcony on deck 10 this past March and loved it.  If price was the same we'd probably pick an ocean view balcony (at least DH's preference) but it's a good alternative for the price.  It lets you get fresh air, have fun people watching and just see what is going on and we watched parts of a movie and Aqua show.  You can see the water in the distance. Noise at night was a bit but I just bought ear plugs and was fine.  Would be happy to book again.

Have yet to try Central Park balcony bit we have Central Park Interior booked on Harmony for the future.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

I did not like the heat and stuffy air on the Central Park balcony.

Had not thought about this.  My wife loves spending time on an Ocean View Balcony, yet I've talked her into a CP Balcony for a 3 night Oasis sailing.  Figured it would be nice to try on a short cruise and she fell in love with Central Park in February!  

I usually book overview balconies. I had a Boardwalk balcony last year on Allure as it was a last minute booking and that’s all that was available. While I enjoyed having the Boardwalk to look at, I did not have much of a view of the ocean, which is what I really enjoy. I would book a Boardwalk balcony again only if I had no other option. 

I can’t imagine ever booking a Central Park balcony. As much as I love walking through the park several times a day and sitting there to hear the music at night, I can’t imagine a balcony without a view of the outdoors. It would feel too much like an inside or Promenade cabin.

I use my balcony mostly in the morning, sitting out there to watch the ocean as I have my first cups of coffee before heading to the dining room. Sometimes I sit there in the afternoon reading a book. With the noise from the pools above, that would not work. 

I''ve traveled with two different family members.  One family member likes the Boardwalk balcony because of the included soda package.  I think these balconies are fun for people watching and are different from the normal cruise ship balconies.  A few time I think it's been noisy on the balcony as it seemed the volume of the movies being played was jacked up.

My one dislike of the Boardwalk balcony we had the first time was that it was a long walk from our cabin to an elevator and then to the front of the ship.  I'm sure it helped me not gain weight, but I wouldn't choose that cabin again.  Our other two Boardwalk balconies were the first ones nearest the elevators and even though the view wasn't as good, it was a lot easier to get around.

My other traveling family likes the ocean view balcony better and that's what we have booked a couple of times and have for our next cruise.  I do enjoy sitting our on the balcony just watching the ocean and enjoy the peace and quiet.

I have not and will not stay in a Central Park balcony as I feel there is no air circulation and in the summer it is so hot and humid in the park,  it's difficult to even walk through there to get to a specialty restaurant.  I do think it is beautiful in the park and even in January when we were sitting near the trellis bar, it was hotter and more humid than the Boardwalk end of the ship when we were in the Caribbean.

Fortunately, there are areas that appeal to different tastes and on the Oasis class ships, there are more than the average ship.

We’ve cruised in both Boardwalk and Central Park balcony staterooms and our preference is for Central Park.

Perhaps we’ve been lucky but never had any issues with the heat and air.

The cruises have been

January and September Caribbean one boardwalk one Central Park 

June and September Mediterranean both Central Park

2 hours ago, yzfmik said:

Had not thought about this.  My wife loves spending time on an Ocean View Balcony, yet I've talked her into a CP Balcony for a 3 night Oasis sailing.  Figured it would be nice to try on a short cruise and she fell in love with Central Park in February!  

The heat and stuffy air are more of a problem in port, when underway not a problem.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yzfmik said:

I was going to try that with our 3 night sailing next month but chickened out and went with the OV balcony

• Like 1

Having done 3 Central Park Balcony's, I would recommend getting a cabin towards the aft end of the ship and a higher deck to help moderate the "stuffiness".  Has to do with aerodynamics.  While not perfect it does help.  I also agree that it is not as much a problem while the ship is underway.

• Like 1

We had a boardwalk balcony one time. That was the first and last time. 5 oasis class cruises we now only book ocean view balcony. We felt like we Were living in an apartment complex. No privacy. We love going out on our balcony in the morning while docking in each port. Get to have my pjs on with no one able to see me. While cruising, it’s all about ocean to me. 

• Like 1

We had a central park balcony on Oasis once. It was like being in an apartment building with nothing to look at but other apartments across the way.  I can see why they are offering incentives to get people to book them.

We’ve done both BW and CP balconies and they are our cabin of choice.  We rarely use our balcony however I do like the ability to have fresh air and lots of natural light.

For  us with our C&A discount they are usually within $100 to $200 total cost of an inside which for us is worth it while the $600 to $800 or more to get an Oceanview isn’t. 

We have sailed in both an ocean view and aft boardwalk balcony cabin. As many others have said the boardwalk is fun for people watching and watching the movies and aquashow at night.  Maybe a little noise but was not bothered by it.  Happy to have experienced it but personally prefer the ocean view and the quiet retreat the balcony offers.  Next cruise we booked the ocean view and the kids into the boardwalk across the hall  - may just need to hang out on their balcony a few evenings!

I did not care for the boardwalk balcony room ultimately and would not book one again.  I might even be inclined to step down to a regular oceanview room, or pay more for an oceanview balcony but not likely to take a neighborhood balcony again. 

11713:  about midway down on starboard side.  Maybe a bit past midway to aft.  You only get a glimpse of ocean if you crane yourself over the balcony a bit.  Not really anything you can see just sitting on balcony.  

I *hated* looking at a wall of other rooms, most with bathing suits and towels strung up all over.  And that's the entire view when the shades are open and you are in the room or on the balcony if not leaning over.  

Yes, some people watching below.  I'm not a big napper but on vacation like to take them; even with the door closed you hear the clanging of the carousel bell every few minutes.  

With our diamond balcony discount it may have been a bit cheaper than a regular oceanview room and certainly less than an oceanview balcony but I tried and it's not for me.  Even to watch any part of the aquashow you are standing and leaning a bit.  If there was somewhat of an angle to the rooms (not sure how that could be possible?) it would be a great venue to view the ocean and aquashows. 

The rest of the room was clean, spacious enough for 3, everything worked well, so no real faults there and high rating for the layout and use of space.  But staring at a wall of other rooms is not what I want out of a cruise. 

We've (extended family) had the last four aft Boardwalk cabin's on deck #9 but on Harmony...We got a great price on them when bookings first opened for HOTS and were excited to try them...Would I book these cabins again...never!

My adult daughter and I have sailed six times in a Central Park balcony, and we love it.  We have always been on deck 10, which offers a good view of the park, even while sitting on the chairs on the balcony.  It is in shade for most of the day, and we sometimes sit at the nice size table to play cards.  We have found several spots around the ship where we can sit and enjoy the ocean view when we want to.  We prefer a cabin near the aft elevators for easy access to MDR.  In March 2020 we will be closer to the forward elevators in order to be across the hall from my son who prefers an ocean balcony, but it won’t be a big deal to take the elevator down to where we can easily head aft through Central Park or the Promenade.  I love the twinkling lights and the live music in the evening.