Would you dislike Infinite Verandas less if they're called Infinite Ocean Views?

fstuff1

Would you dislike Infinite Verandas less if they're called Infinite Ocean Views?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you dislike Infinite Verandas less if they're called Infinite Ocean Views?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, TeaBag said:

I would book one if it were priced as an O/V.  Does anyone know if these cabins are on Apex?

Yes they are.  It will be interesting to see what changes are made.

I don't like the false label "Infinite Verandas".  I want a real veranda!!

The idiots who designed the Edge put some kind of wall blocking off most of the true Veranda cabins, so that the only unobstructed view balconies are the "Sunset Verandas."   I don't want a porthole Veranda!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I would book one if it were priced as an O/V.  Does anyone know if these cabins are on Apex?

APEX pricing has been good..We have  booked a Sunset Verranda but are considering an additional  APEX booking  in an IV . Need to   compare pricing for AQ Class,  concierge or  reg IV cabin...

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

Should we sail on the Edge again, I would book a forward OV, veranda categories A & B, sunset veranda, or suite.

While I liked the interior of our IV cabin, the "veranda" wasn't a veranda IMHO. And we did experience the A/C shutting down when the veranda glass was down and the glass accordion doors were open.

Not really sure of the point of this poll.  People know what they are purchasing unless they are completely unprepared and have done no research on Edge. So why would the name make any difference to their decision?  It is about a price point and comfort with this type of cabin for sure.  You can call them convertible ocean views or anything you want.  

Edited by TeeRick

We loved our IV room. On Apex we've booked an SV but will definitely do an IV again. 

It does seem that a large majority of the "haters" haven't actually sailed in one.

Many people are shocked they can't sit outside on a French Balcony on a river cruise. Just an example of why you need to research what you are booking. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Oville said:

Are you sure that is true about the A/C?  Have you sailed in an IV?  What would be your problem with the room darkening shade?

OP, I’m with Denny01 and hcat regarding the IV.  I’m curious how many people with negative comments have actually stayed in an IV.

Katie -- as you know, I have not sailed on Edge, so all of my information is second hand. But, just looking at the pictures -- even the good ones -- of the IV's was enough for me to know that they are not for me! That being said, I think it's great that long-time X cruisers (like you and Denny) were pleasantly surprised -- and found things that you actually liked about the IV's. All I know is that, I don't want to spend thousands of $$, trying out something that I already know I won't like. So, if I ever do try Edge, it will need to be either a Suite, or Sunset Veranda cabin. Unfortunately, X has pretty much priced me out of the Sky Suites -- which I used to sail in, all the time. Fortunately, I love aft-facing balconies -- so, I might be able to convince my DH to give one of the Edge-Class Sunset Veranda's a try, some day.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

And don’t forget that if you open the window, even with the glass doors shut, the A/C goes off.  A very unpleasant feature that was not known about until people started to experience it.  Not to mention the problems with the room darkening shades....and on and on.  

We didn't experience that. Ours still worked. There is a control for it.

I fully understand that the IV is not a ‘real’ balcony, but in truth, most ships’ balconies aren’t either. All have enclosures on the sides and most have covers and overhangs over the top. Certainly more open than the IV, and in some, you can take the sides down to share with the family next to you. But a classic balcony is fully open. The IV isn’t close to that, agreed and if the standard ship balcony is what you are looking for, great. 

Why I enjoy the IV is because it opens the entire SR to the outside much more than what I find on standard balcony SRs. With the bed next to the BR, it is fully open and a place we can have friends over and enjoy without paying the costs of a suite. I like the openness of the IV, feeling the outside, hearing the ship cut through the water, relaxing sitting next to it or standing at the open section having the same view as from a standard balcony. And I enjoy the privacy it provides and still be open. It meets a good deal of what I like in an ship’s SR with access to the outside. 

Is it what I want on all my cruises? Nope. That’s why I’m on the Silly in Oct, Summit in 2020 and Millie in 2021 - itinerary - and I enjoy those ships and SR’s also. I find the change refreshing.

And costs? Got my Edge right after She was available, so no, I didn’t pay a huge amount for a new expereince. I’ll wait for the E-Class ships to drop in price as all new experiences do, and sail on E-Class again, in an IV SR.

I’m a bit of a sick puppy and I track what SRs are available on the cruises I’ve signed up for, and for the Edge cruises in March, the IV SRs were 98% full and the standard SR’s were 94% prior to final payment. And I checked a recent Edge cruise after seeing these threads on hating the IV’s and it continues. So I doubt very much Celebrity is worried about those that want the Edge SRs to be the same as so many other ships, the bars to be the same as so many other ships, the decor to be more ‘tradtional’ like so many other ships, the entertainment to be the same as so many other ships........and on. 

And when you react to this post and tell me why you don’t like the IV, I’ll agree completely. And even if you’ve not tried it because you can tell from photos and commentary you won’t like it, that is a good way of making a decision of not wasting your money. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

All have enclosures on the sides and most have covers and overhangs over the top.

Thanks for pointing that out, Den. I had been thinking that, but thought maybe I was crazy (or maybe we both are crazy 😉).

I have thought this about the port side S1 we had on the Edge. Though it had a traditional balcony, it was totally enclosed on 3 sides and the ceiling - the only opening was above the rail. If one were to put a glass window that dropped down in the only open area above the rail, it would be an enclosed veranda with a window that drops down. It had a similar feeling as the IV with the window down (we were in an IV for 2 days and enjoyed the experience, though it wouldn't be our first choice). Though obviously the S1 balcony was better in that it was bigger and and had a slider and curtains to separate the living space, it didn't have the option of shutting a window in bad weather or when the neighbors were noisy so one could still enjoy the space (or of opening up the whole space to make one large living area). I'm not trying to compare them or say they should make the suites IV's, just saying that the balcony feel wasn't that different when sitting out there with the 3 enclosed walls and ceiling of that type of balcony (except for the space difference). 

These pictures are from that S1 port side. I kept picturing putting a big window that drops down in that otherwise enclosed balcony (it had a solid firewall on one side, though did have a small gap under the other wall) and couldn't see that it would be much different than the IV (except for size, which is the biggest flaw for the IV, IMO).

image.thumb.png.9b4942178e92f64b45925278b07c7e42.png

image.thumb.png.4e312291b755937bfdf14e59318fd69c.png

We have had similar balconies on S Class ships, with an almost totally enclosed balcony except for the opening above the rail (and flimsier side walls).  We prefer a balcony like the aft S1's and SV's with an open balcony with partial overhang and without the enclosure on 3 sides and ceiling, but not all balconies are like that on a ship.

I agree that the name could be better (it's a sales gimmick, but it's a business and they can call them what they wish - I think of them as Sunroom Verandas), but the name isn't the issue, IMO - the initial design is the issue (the flaws have been discussed in great detail), which I hope will improve. If they don't make improvements, and it's an issue for some people, they won't  book them and will quietly move on (well maybe not all will quietly move on 😉).

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

Maybe an alternative description would be "Sun room".  Here in Florida, people have sun that are glorified screened in porches.  They have windows that are removable and and are somewhat air conditioned.  They have a roof and also on either side of the lot and on the back they put in fences even while on a conservation zone.

In regards to prices.  New ships always have a premium.  For example, on Royal Caribbean, I paid $2200 for a Central Park Cabin on Harmony, the latest ship in the class was Symphony.  We booked her earlier this year, and paid over $3000 for an inside cabin, for the same week.  The booking timeline was similar the difference was that Symphony was the newest ship in the fleet and and class.

If you are concerned about cost, my recommendation is not to book the newest ship in the fleet or class, wait until the next ship comes online and book the slightly older ships (albeit only a year or two older than the latest or greatest).

I don't know why people who don't care for this type of room are considered haters.  I don't hate it.  It's just not something I would book.  Now if Celebrity reclassifies it as an oceanview and prices it accordingly, that's a whole different story.  I think those of us who have spent a night or two on Celebrity ships are capable of making decisions about what cabins we would like or not like without having to sail in them.  I've actually sailed on every Celebrity ship currently in the fleet with the exception of Edge.  Also on some of the ships no longer in the fleet.  And I have, at one time or another, sailed in everything from an inside to the penthouse.  With the exception of a celebrity suite (we got upgraded to a royal suite).  

• Like 5

Is it my imagination or are all of the verandahs on Edge quite small?  In looking at the deck plans, it seems that the verandah/IV balconies are tiny with small chairs and no room for footstools.  Even the suite balconies seem much smaller than on other ships -- no room for even one lounger (or barely room) let alone two plus a table and chairs.  I thought the "trend" in designing ships was for not only more verandah cabins but also larger verandahs -- or did I miss something?  

We really enjoy using our verandah for lounging and eating -- I'm guessing Edge isn't for us . . .

I agree. Sailed in one loved it and I’m booked in another one. 

On 6/7/2019 at 5:18 PM, Denny01 said:

Im with Option 4 - I enjoyed the Infinite Veranda and will book it again.

Den

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I don't know why people who don't care for this type of room are considered haters.  I don't hate it.  It's just not something I would book.  Now if Celebrity reclassifies it as an oceanview and prices it accordingly, that's a whole different story.  I think those of us who have spent a night or two on Celebrity ships are capable of making decisions about what cabins we would like or not like without having to sail in them.  I've actually sailed on every Celebrity ship currently in the fleet with the exception of Edge.  Also on some of the ships no longer in the fleet.  And I have, at one time or another, sailed in everything from an inside to the penthouse.  With the exception of a celebrity suite (we got upgraded to a royal suite).  

Linda, not sure why you used the word haters.  A good number of people who have posted on this tread have never sailed in an IV on Edge and the OP’s poll is simply negative.  I think vtcruising gave a very good comparison of IV vs S1.  We personally used our AQ IV cabin veranda more than we have other AQ verandas on other ships.

Hope you had a great cruise with your granddaughter.  We are settled in the other Cape and off to Martha’s Vineyard for 4 days Tuesday.  Hope all is well on your Cape.  K

Edited by Oville

1 hour ago, ggo85 said:

Is it my imagination or are all of the verandahs on Edge quite small?  In looking at the deck plans, it seems that the verandah/IV balconies are tiny with small chairs and no room for footstools.  Even the suite balconies seem much smaller than on other ships -- no room for even one lounger (or barely room) let alone two plus a table and chairs.  I thought the "trend" in designing ships was for not only more verandah cabins but also larger verandahs -- or did I miss something?  

We really enjoy using our verandah for lounging and eating -- I'm guessing Edge isn't for us . . .

Yes, it was noticed right away that the IV veranda area seemed too small (billed as 42 sq ft - may actually be less). Actually the chairs are a bit big and are reportedly going to be replaced with smaller ones so that they don't need to be shuffled around as much when opening and closing the French doors. Many of us consider it a design flaw and hope they will enlarge the IV some on future builds, since we like the concept.

The 1A's and 1B's balconies are 40 sq ft (hull balconies).

The sunset veranda balconies are an average of 89 sq ft so good-sized and can fit loungers easily (traditional open aft balconies).

The sky suite balconies are 79-163 sq ft, depending on type and location. There is room for two loungers on all of these balconies.

The upper suite balconies are 72 sq ft to 689 sq ft.

Celebrity seems to be going in a different direction as far as verandas - the Edge and Revolutionized ships (from what I've seen so far) don't have foot stools or tables big enough for eating on the balconies of the veranda cabins and sky suites. Maybe we need to start our own Revolution!! 😉

Edited by vtcruising

I found a quote in an early press release about who we can blame for design issues 🙂

" The cabin concept is another remarkable innovation designed by STX France, with the integration of its terrace inside the cabin thus enlarging its size."