Has anyone had to visit a medical facility on RCI?

Due to a few high readings of blood pressure my Dr put me on a low dose of a blood pressure med, an ACE inhibitor, and of course I leave Saturday for my cruise on Monday.  I have an appointment to go back tomorrow because I am having some side effects (just started the med) and want to see if it is alright if I hold off until I return from my cruise, as long as I can contact Royal and make arrangements to keep my sodium as low as possible.  

Anyway it got me wondering about the RCI medical facilities?  One of the possible side effects from my meds is a swollen face, or at worst, a tongue (which would be an emergency).  Is the ship equipped to deal with things like that?

The ship medical people are equipped to handle emergencies and (hopefully) make the patient stable until the patient can be transported to a shore facility.   

Hopefully Ocean Boy sees this an can elaborate on the other types of services provided.

14 minutes ago, BellaCaps said:

Due to a few high readings of blood pressure my Dr put me on a low dose of a blood pressure med, an ACE inhibitor, and of course I leave Saturday for my cruise on Monday.  I have an appointment to go back tomorrow because I am having some side effects (just started the med) and want to see if it is alright if I hold off until I return from my cruise, as long as I can contact Royal and make arrangements to keep my sodium as low as possible.  

Anyway it got me wondering about the RCI medical facilities?  One of the possible side effects from my meds is a swollen face, or at worst, a tongue (which would be an emergency).  Is the ship equipped to deal with things like that?

Yes, I have had to use the medical center on more than one cruise.  They will be able to take care of an allergic reaction.  Also know if you are having a severe reaction, you can dial 911 on the ship, just like you can at home.

I'm betting it varies by ship, but from my time in Oasis' I would say they're about what an urgent care would be - they focus on triage not ongoing care. A little bit more as they do have to handle the life threatening emergencies too where an urgent care would just ship you to an ER.

My husband had a heart attack onboard and was well taken care of for 48 hours till we got to San Diego and were transported to UCSD on arrival.   So yes, they are well equipped to handle a variety of emergencies. 

Edited by Croozin Soozin

They are well equipped to handle emergencies. Assume that you know you will have to pay for the services. Your Seapass card will be billed and you have to file with your insurance company.  Probably a good idea to check with your insurance company to make sure of your coverage. 

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

yes, my daughter (rip) was a paraplegic and her catheter was clogged. The doc on board was an army medic who was used to working in the field. He unclogged it with a sterilized coat hanger. We were not charged. It was very nice of them.

4 hours ago, BellaCaps said:

My heart goes out to you  regarding your side effects from the BP meds...ugghh, they can be awful.... headaches, dizziness and nausea. But believe me, the side effects should get better as your body adjusts to them. I had to go to the Dr. on two ships , one for a UTI and the other for a pinched nerve that caused SEVERE pains down my arm. The one Doc gave me an antibiotic and the other gave me a muscle relaxer and Aleve for my arm (which did nothing). To be fair my pinched nerve pain was so bad my BP went to over 185, so the doc was "scared " to give me anything. To be honest I was concerned that he thought maybe I was just looking for narcotics, but I assured him that I didn't want anything like that, just something that would make the painful contractions (yes that is what it felt like constantly going down my arm for 8 days!!!). When I arrived home my internist gave me a steroid pack, which I called a miracle med:).

I hope you feel better and have a WONDERFUL cruise!

Yes, the ship's medical staff , from the doctors to the nurses are very capable and professional.

If need be,  transportation to a medical facility will be arranged, whether an emergency flight or at the next port of call.

FYI: The ship will sail without the captain, but it will NOT sail without the doctor - even though there are 2 doctors on the ship.

I had a bad fall off of the ledge on the outside of the pool on RCI and face-planted into the metal rail of a pool lounger (no, alcohol was not involved - I'm just really good at falling down). I was bleeding and very disoriented. The crew rushed over with ice and towels, got me in a wheelchair, and wheeled me down to Medical. The doctor checked my face out--stating that he was surprised I hadn't broken my nose and cheekbone, based on how I hit the chair (he could already see the bruising pattern across my face). He also had to remove one of my fingernails and stitch up a cut on my hand. 

Certainly not life threatening, as some others have experienced, but they handled everything very professionally. They also called to check on me that night and the next day. 

Not only did RCI not charge me for the medical treatment, they took off all the charges I had made to my account and gave me an additional $300 in OBC. I ended up with several designer purses out of that cruise, which almost made up for the two months of bruising and facial soreness. Almost. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have had to use the medical facility on Brilliance of the Seas a few years ago and the onboard doctor was absolutely superb.

Made his diagnosis and arrangements an for an ambulance to meet us to be taken off the ship and transported to the hospital in Salerno at 08.00am the following day.

All ended well although our patient ended up in hospital in Salerno for three weeks and then another week there convalescing.

The Salerno hospital was superb and the port agent was excellent he kept in constant contact and also visited us.

Did the full "behind the scenes" tour on Princess recently and got to spend time in the medical department.  The doctor reminded us they care for the crew too ... so they are pretty much ready for any kind of emergency and just about every kind of minor issue you can think of.  I would think you would be in good hands.  They aren't doing open heart/bypass surgery in there but they can handle/stabilize most problems.

I had a similar situation with my blood pressure and new meds. My doc said it was ok to wait until I returned home to start them, but if that's not the case for you the medical facilities will be able to handle it.

Edited by libertybelle41

I broke my arm on the Anthem 4 years ago.  As a retired RN I was quite concerned/interested in the care.  Was impressed with

the facility/equipment itself and the care received.  As knowing I was to receive conscious sedation in order for a closed

reduction of my arm, I especially noted the crash cart and it's equipment, supplies.  Obviously I could only receive initial 

care & treatment, but they were very careful to evaluate my arm several times ,especially swelling of my fingers.  Was on the

ship 2 more days after that, flew home on a Saturday, saw the ortho on Monday & surgery on Tuesday.  My arm healed well,

and am going back on the Anthem this fall.  

• Like 1

Not a reply to medical facilities but to the BP medication.  I have been on BP medication for at least 25 years and have developed an allergic reaction to more than one of the meds that I was on.  I do believe I am on my 5th different medication now.  Ask your doctor if it is ok to skip the meds for the week.  Unless your BP is extremely high it might be ok.  I  have found over the years many different opinions among my doctors as to what is high or not.  Due to other heart issues I now am under the care of 4 different cardiologists (all working together) and all seem to have a different opinion on what is normal BP.

Good Luck and hope all goes smoothly on your cruise and you have a wonderful time.

Also, I'm sure your doc has mentioned this, but it is best not to drink alcohol with high BP, because alcohol can raise one's BP.  High BP is unfortunately common...I still don't understand how I have it....I don't use a salt shaker, I don't drink, I exercise regularly and am not overweight. My doc told me to blame my parents:)

Happy cruising everyone!!!

Pre-cruise stress can easily raise your blood pressure a few points.  Once aboard ship it may decrease on its own.  

Over the years have had the misfortune of visiting medical for broken foot (dw slipped on wet pool deck.  Earned her a free cruise), pneumonia and several bouts of bronchitis.  Received very professional treatment each time.  Hope you purchased travel insurance though.  Cost of care is quite expensive.

WARNING: Skip comment if you don't have any interest in reading specifics about BP meds and risks of not taking them.

55 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Ask your doctor if it is ok to skip the meds for the week. Unless your BP is extremely high it might be ok. 

The Cardiac ICU nurse in me cringes at this suggestion. Too often people skip their meds and over indulge on food and drink around the holidays or a special event so they can "feel normal" around friends and family. These are the people we see on my unit who may have only had hypertension, but progresses into heart failure. Please don't every suggest to skip meds to live in the moment. The cost to live in the moment can often be much higher than people realize. Our busiest weeks are right after the holidays because people skip their meds and ignore the symptoms of something wrong happening.

55 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I  have found over the years many different opinions among my doctors as to what is high or not.  Due to other heart issues I now am under the care of 4 different cardiologists (all working together) and all seem to have a different opinion on what is normal BP.

Yep! Each of them are looking at different ways your heart/kidneys are affected by your BP and what they can tolerate. I can think of a dozen or so things that they take into account to determine what is a normal versus high BP for a patient. Depending on what their subspecialty is, and what your heart numbers are, will influence what they think your BP should be and what is considered hypertension individually for you.

OP: I hope your appointment with your doctor went well and they can adjust/switch your meds accordingly. Side effects stink. The timing on this is lousy. Be patient with these adjustments. Unless the doctor tells you otherwise, I don't see any increased risk going on your cruise. Just be mindful of what you eat, drink, and do. You will have to have those same precautions regardless whether you were on or off the cruise ship. If you and your doctor feel comfortable with you going, then go and enjoy yourself.

Edited by KBYUCougar
Typo

• 1 year later...