Ever have awful Table mates?

Did someone really complain about checking blood sugar and injecting insulin whilst at the table? I must have missed that.

Could someone tell me what the protocol is if you have to do the above?  DH has just started on insulin but we haven't cruised since then.

consensus

7 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Could someone tell me what the protocol is if you have to do the above?  DH has just started on insulin but we haven't cruised since then.

"Protocol" - As you can see with this thread, it is hard to come up with a consensus on most things. Since you are dealing with strangers if it were ME and I am not judging anyone, if I wanted to check my levels before dinner I would do it in my cabin right before or go to the public bathroom right outside the MDR.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Did someone really complain about checking blood sugar and injecting insulin whilst at the table? I must have missed that.

Would you inject at the table if at home?  Or do you do it before you have dinner?  I suppose people are concerned about possibly getting someone else's blood on the table?

He usually injects in the kitchen just as I'm dishing up. The problem is (and bear with us as this is new) that I think he's supposed to inject just before eating so on that basis if he did it before leaving the cabin it could be a little while before he actually started eating. I don't mean to hijack this thread and will probably ask for professional advice once we start cruising again. 

I was just curious if he would fall under the heading of an 'awful table mate!!!!

39 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Yes.  MicCanberra on the first page.  See quote below. 

Edited by K32682

On 6/17/2019 at 5:14 AM, MicCanberra said:

Like one lady who would check her blood for sugar levels at the table and then proceed to inject herself also at the table with her top half off showing more flesh than anyone but a husband/lover should need to see.

55 minutes ago, babs135 said:

He usually injects in the kitchen just as I'm dishing up. The problem is (and bear with us as this is new) that I think he's supposed to inject just before eating so on that basis if he did it before leaving the cabin it could be a little while before he actually started eating. I don't mean to hijack this thread and will probably ask for professional advice once we start cruising again. 

I was just curious if he would fall under the heading of an 'awful table mate!!!!

Yes, it could be awhile before he gets to start eating.  Suppose there is a slight delay in getting seated.  Suppose your table mates are late and the waiters do not take orders (See above).   It could easily add up to almost an hour.

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

Have him protect his health, and don't worry if that puts you two in the category of "bad tablemates". If it's supposed to be just before eating, that's when he should be doing it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yes, it could be awhile before he gets to start eating.  Suppose there is a slight delay in getting seated.  Suppose your table mates are late and the waiters do not take orders (See above).   It could easily add up to almost an hour.

There is usually a bathroom (or some other quiet space) right next to the dining room entrance.  If, in fact, he must actually check blood and/or inject himself within a minute or so of putting food in his mouth, then it would be appropriate for him to excuse himself (as anyone would if they had to go to the bathroom to relieve himself) when the food is placed in front of him - rather than treat everyone to his blood work just as they are about to eat.

• Like 4

So he should inject himself in a public toilet where hygiene could possibly be compromised?  Is it not permissible for him to do it very discreetly at the table? He's not intending to make a song and dance about it ie,  Look at me, I'm a diabetic who injects himself. Do you want to watch?

Edited by babs135
Addition

17 hours ago, K32682 said:

The important aspect of this and similar links from the cruise lines are the exclusions. 

"T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. "

Does a diner at a shared table who is dressed to the bare minimums on formal night or even below but is allowed in by the maitre d fall into the category of awful table mate? 

Some (not me) on the HAL site would say "yes" - they distract from the "ambience" that some want by still bringing the tux and gown...

7 minutes ago, babs135 said:

So he should inject himself in a public toilet where hygiene could possibly be compromised?  Is it not permissible for him to do it very discreetly at the table? He's not intending to make a song and dance about it ie,  Look at me, I'm a diabetic who injects himself. Do you want to watch?

Some people get squeamish at the sight of that tiny speck we have to squeeze out of our finger to get the test... If someone's gushing all over or having to do multiple sticks, they don't have their device dialed in correctly.   I'd just go outside of the dining room door and do it, not necessarily to the public toilet.  There are usually some sofas or chairs out in the hallway nearby.   I'm lucky that I do not have to check before every meal.  I hope that I can keep it the way.

Speaking of public toilet and insulin injections:  my high school boyfriend was type 1 (this was in the 70s).  We went to the Rose Parade one year, camping out the night before on the street.  Well, it came time for him to shoot up.  He went into the closest porta-potty.  He injected in his quad (the front of his thigh), so he dropped trou...  As he was sitting there, injecting, someone opened the door!!!  HE FORGOT TO LOCK THE DOOR 🤣

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, babs135 said:

What people can do “very discreetly” (which presumably means without being noticed) is not a problem.

Drawing blood to test it, then injecting yourself in front of your table mates while they are taking their first sip of soup does not put you in the attractive tablemates category.   

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

I cannot speak to your DHs specific condition and physician instructions.  But we have a very close friend who also needed to inject himself within minutes of eating.  Whenever we would go out to dinner with our friend we would all sit down at the table and order our meals.  At that point our friend would discretely excuse himself and head to the rest room where he did his test and insulin injection..and then quickly returned to the table.  Folks that did not know our friend were not even aware he was a diabetic on insulin.  

Would folks want to share a table with a stranger who does a "stick" and then gives himself/herself a shot at the table?  You would be surprised at how many folks might get sick just watching somebody go through those steps.  Granted this is their problem, but it really is an issue for many folks.  Most diners go to dinner without any expectation of watching a fellow diner draw blood (even a drop) and use a syringe.

Hank

31 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Please inform us how you do this discretely at a table with several other diners. How do you bare you abdomen or thigh or arm and then inject without everyone else having to see it? Many people are squeamish  at the very sight of a needle. Others just don't want to see this while trying to eat. Why can't he simply excuse himself from the table after your orders have been taken, leave the dinjng room and seek a quiet corner nearby, take care of business, and then return. I have a couple of insulin dependant diabetic friends who do exactly this when dining at a restaurant.

PS. I'd have no qualms about doing this in the ship's public restrooms. They're cleaner than a lot of homes I've seen.

When I started reading this thread I was ready to post our truth, that it's hard to imagine a more unpleasant tablemate than my mother so as a kindness to others we always get a solo table.  Now that I've read through the experiences of others  I see that as bad as she is, it could be worse.  😲

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Would folks want to share a table with a stranger who does a "stick" and then gives himself/herself a shot at the table?  You would be surprised at how many folks might get sick just watching somebody go through those steps.  Granted this is their problem, but it really is an issue for many folks.  Most diners go to dinner without any expectation of watching a fellow diner draw blood (even a drop) and use a syringe.

I'd say that some "announcement" should be made, like "please excuse me but I need to inject my insuline", or as the then 13 year old brother of my ex put it "now I must stab myself". Everyone knows people with diabetes so it's not weird. The faint hearted should simply look away. Besides having the advantage of not getting sick, it's also polite. And really, it's not as if an open heart surgery is taking place on the table. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, K32682 said:

It does seem so.  The categories so far are people who: 

• Talk about religion
  • Talk about politics
  • Are bigots and racists
  • Don't tolerate bigots or racists
  • Ask what you paid for the cruise
  • Brag about how little they paid
  • Boast about their grand kids
  • Discuss their medical conditions
  • Ask questions about your medical conditions
  • Ask intrusive and personal questions
  • Talk about how much money they have
  • Eat too slowly.
  • Eat too quickly
  • Are critical of people who eat too quickly. 
  • Check blood sugar at the table
  • Inject insulin at the table.
  • Arrive late
  • Don't show up at all
  • Talk too much
  • Talk to little
  • Talk to their partner/spouse in another language
  • Drink too much
  • Don't drink
  • Don't drink and ask others at the table to the same
  • Make multiple orders but don't eat all the food
  • Are picky eaters who send food back
  • Are critical of your food choices
  • Complain about everything
  • Don't dress up on formal night
  • Blow their noses in cloth napkins
  • Ask everyone at the table to say grace
  • Argue with their spouse at the table
  • Brag about their elite cruise line status
  • Talk about how many cruises they've been on
  • Text at the table
  • Try to sell you insurance
  • Show inappropriate attention to your spouse

Did I miss any?  You can either attempt to not do any of the above or go about your dinner as you wish and not give a damn if you happen to fall into the awful table mate category for someone. 

No wonder anytime dining is growing in popularity. 🙂

Nice recap.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, babs135 said:

Yes, I did. 

6 hours ago, Mike981 said:

consensus

"Protocol" - As you can see with this thread, it is hard to come up with a consensus on most things. Since you are dealing with strangers if it were ME and I am not judging anyone, if I wanted to check my levels before dinner I would do it in my cabin right before or go to the public bathroom right outside the MDR.

That would have been the best option, especially as there was a bathroom about 10 metres from the door of the MDR, which had a lounge in it (QM2). First of all, a lady at the table was squeamish with the blood work occurring at the table. Secondly,  t he lady injecting was exposing so much of her body to inject into her abdomen that we could also see her breasts and such. Not appropriate even without showing the injection.

• Like 1

I know several diabetics.  None would dream of taking blood and shooting up insulin at a table with family and friends much less strangers.  Do it in private, not at the table please.  An exception would and should be made for an Epi-pen.  

• Like 3