2019 Policy RE: Bringing Soda Aboard

Luvsnorkeling

I've done a number of searches but cannot seem to find the current (2019) policy concerning bringing soda (Coke, Pepsi, etc.) with you when boarding. Any information on current policy (perhaps from those who have actually brought soda aboard) would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, Luvsnorkeling said:

I've done a number of searches but cannot seem to find the current (2019) policy concerning bringing soda (Coke, Pepsi, etc.) with you when boarding. Any information on current policy (perhaps from those who have actually brought soda aboard) would be appreciated.

I’m sure you don’t realize it, but you are posting in a font (probably Comic Sans) that (since the CC web site upgrade) is incompatible with mobile devices and appears on those devices as very thin, almost impossible to read, cursive. Most folks who have been informed of this have very kindly changed their font. Thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So far we have  unreadable font with a legitimate question.

A poorly worded reply and critique of same.....neither very helpful.

Has anyone recently boarded with a supply of soda( or water) ?

Has anyone had soda (or water) conficasted?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gerelmx said:

Until today nobody has reported that his water or sodas has been confiscated the embarkation day.

I'm confused, are there reports that someone has recently reported issues bringing water or soda onboard a ship.  I haven't heard of any complaints.  I am not aware of any issues.

Edited by bigbeergut
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, bigbeergut said:

I'm confused, are there reports that someone has recently reported issues bringing water or soda onboard a ship.  I haven't heard of any complaints.  I am not aware of any issues.

There have been none and in fact, no policy change.

I have just completed a 'basic' search here on CC and found starting on the second page of results, a few posts from the last three (3) months about 'bringing soda aboard'. I Am sure if there were more terms added it would be more comprehensive and refined. Even the logistics of bringing soda and other beverages aboard X's ships can be found in a search here on X.

I, as others can, assure the OP, were there ANY change in this policy it would be readily found here on CC...  the pro's and con's of the changes as there were when dispensing of soda aboard pending on beverage package purchased or not.

cheers and bon voyage

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

There have been none and in fact, no policy change.

I have just completed a 'basic' search here on CC and found starting on the second page of results, a few posts from the last three (3) months about 'bringing soda aboard'. I Am sure if there were more terms added it would be more comprehensive and refined. Even the logistics of bringing soda and other beverages aboard X's ships can be found in a search here on X.

I, as others can, assure the OP, were there ANY change in this policy it would be readily found here on CC...  the pro's and con's of the changes as there were when dispensing of soda aboard pending on beverage package purchased or not.

cheers and bon voyage

Thanks I had not heard about any reports of issues but I was equally confused by the one response.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I’m sure you don’t realize it, but you are posting in a font (probably Comic Sans) that (since the CC web site upgrade) is incompatible with mobile devices and appears on those devices as very thin, almost impossible to read, cursive. Most folks who have been informed of this have very kindly changed their font. Thank you. 

It is very difficult read.  

I am sure you would get more responses if it was in a traditional easy to read font.

thanks 

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The confusion is that Celebrity changed their language last year to make it sound like you could not bring on non-alcoholic drinks at all, and it confused people.  They added it to their "What Not to Pack" section of the FAQ (as "Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages" on the list).  Since that time, no one has posted about not being allowed to bring on water and soda.  One supposes that an overeager port person could decide to enforce this language, but so far no one has seen it happen.  I would also ask for a supervisor were that to happen.

On top of that, the longtime practice was that you could check water & sodas with your luggage for delivery to your room.  At some point, Celebrity reps started telling people that you could bring it on, but you had to carry it on yourself.  Several people have also reported that to not really be true (you can still check it with your luggage), but I would guess this one to be more port-specific.

So, the short answer is yes, you can, with the caveat that you might get someone who says you can't and you might be expected to carry it on yourself.  I'd also only bring cans of soda because they scrutinize bottles of any type.

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 1

I was not aware of the problem with the font in my original post--please accept my apologies. I don't frequently post on Cruise Critic, so I am not abreast of updates/changes to the site. However, I do not see a way to change the font after a message has already been posted. If there is a way, please enlighten me, and I will change it.

Also, I am not a tech savvy person. I found a couple of posts regarding carrying on soda, but the date of these posts simply gave the month (e.g. May 20) without giving the year of the post. That is why I requested updated information for this year, as I know policies can change over time.

Thanks to all who responded kindly with helpful information.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Luvsnorkeling said:

I was not aware of the problem with the font in my original post--please accept my apologies. I don't frequently post on Cruise Critic, so I am not abreast of updates/changes to the site. However, I do not see a way to change the font after a message has already been posted. If there is a way, please enlighten me, and I will change it.

No apologies needed! :classic_smile: As I said in my reply, I was sure you weren't aware of the problem.   You can't edit your original post now, but don't worry about it.   If you just change your font going forward, that would be a great help!  Thanks!

• Thanks 1

The last I knew Celebrity does not allow anyone to bring beverages on board for in stateroom consumption or anywhere else on the ship for that matter.  You either buy from them or you drink what is available from their dispensers.  

7 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

The last I knew Celebrity does not allow anyone to bring beverages on board for in stateroom consumption or anywhere else on the ship for that matter.  You either buy from them or you drink what is available from their dispensers.  

That is not and has not ever been Celebrity policy.  I can't imagine where you heard that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bighousecop said:

Just put a luggage tags on the case and poof its in your state room. I have taken (2) 48 cases of water with out a issue not even a question.

Just be prepared to pay for damages to others’ luggage and clothes if your water (or any other beverage packed in checked bags) breaks. I’ve seen it happen - and heard the arguments between the offenders and ship crew - on DCL, RCCL, and HAL.

• Haha 1

All of the answers given in this thread are right!  There doesn't seem to be any written policy and different ships and different ports all have their own "policy".  Odds are that if you bring one case of non-alcoholic something, put a label on it and just drop it off with your luggage, it will arrive in your stateroom.  I'd suggest the "don't ask, don't tell" approach....just hand the case to the porter with the label on it, no questions, no comments.  If you do ask someone at the pier, you will most likely find someone who will guess....so don't ask.

I have never been on a cruise where nothing is allowed...in fact on most cruises, if you bring soda/wine/liquor back to the ship at a port stop, they just ignore it and you take it to your room.  Your mileage, of course, may vary.

1 hour ago, bighousecop said:

how many times have you carried a case of soda into your home and damaged your clothes? your honest answer should be  zero

The concern would be that the baggage handlers may not treat it with the care that an individual who wanted to have them intact for the week might.  Also, I was removing the plastic wrapping from a case the other day and punctured the side of a can with the tip of the knife and had it spew all over my kitchen.  It doesn't take much.  i would imagine the lines that restrict it to carry-on only are doing it more from a labor effort perspective than anything.

This is from the Celebrity Equinox Facebook group - not sure if the same applies to soda...  Sorry, I don't know how to change the size of this enormous post 😲

2ACB1A4D-2438-4072-9FC7-FC6415990FE1.jpeg

Edited by OT-Miami

We were on Solstice May 31-June 7. We purchased soda in Seattle before boarding,

put in a tote bag with a Celebrity luggage tag and put with all our other luggage. Was delivered to our room without issue. My partner was sure it was going to disappear before delivery to our room. But came with all our other bags.