Binoculars, clocks and umbrellas

Grandma Cruising

4 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Cell phones don't always show the right time, but my wristwatches do. 😉

On phones you can change to time in the settings to manual rather than automatically, this will take care of the incorrect and unaligned times....just a though....

57 minutes ago, aussie travel bird said:

On phones you can change to time in the settings to manual rather than automatically, this will take care of the incorrect and unaligned times....just a though....

I do that on every cruise. Had to teach other adults that trick.

10 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

We no longer provide binoculars nor clocks in the staterooms or suites.  May I ask where on our website or other literature it says they will be in the rooms? I will forward to be corrected.

Yes, Umbrellas are provided. Our Hotel Department will inquire to see if some are missing.

Thanks, Bonnie, for finding out the current situation. As others have said the binoculars are no great loss, they weren’t that brilliant.

Clocks aren’t mentioned on the website,  but umbrellas & binoculars are. Here’s the link for the description https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/our-ships/staterooms/club-oceanview-stateroom and a screenshot of the page.

B8415D5D-28D3-4D37-94AB-30A24FF7EF25.png

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Yes, I know I can change my phone settings but I want my cabin to have the same accessories as the equivalent hotels on land. Again an example of price and hype not matching the deliverable.  

I don’t want a clock radio but I do want a clock with large numbers or a clear face.  Shangri-La have an excellent one, you just tap it and it illuminates. I don’t want to wake myself up fully to find out what the time is. Cannot understand why Azamara cannot explore an option. 

Pursuit doesn’t have clocks, so far the other two do so looks like if we book on Pursuit I need to pack a clock, other two know.

i won’t miss the binoculars though! 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:12 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

It's not just that. There are no movies or free videos on Pursuit and no ability to order from room service or look at menus. Hopefully they will get a new provider so all three ships can have that. Interactive TV, seems crazy not to have it. 

Phil 

Wow... it wasn't like there was much of a choice to begin with, but no free movies?  We don't really care for the entertainment on Azamara and so often spend the evening in our cabin watching a movie.  That's something I always commented upon in our end-of-cruise survey.

12 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Cell phones don't always show the right time, but my wristwatches do. 😉

Not if you have a smart watch, or even a Fitbit--mine needs to sync with my phone.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, uktog said:

But the trouble is it’s not. We had bitter experience of that on Pursuit Transatlantic where the ship was changing time zone st different points to the phone. Was an hour late for an event as a result.

Sorry but I’m in the camp of wanting the clocks reinstated 

Also cell phones only get the correct time when connected to a cell signal and most people keep their cell phones in airplane mode while onboard so the time will be the last time a cell signal was received or several days and time zones away.  Cell phone times can be changed manually like a wrist watch but, not easy for some who rely on their phones.

21 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Not if you have a smart watch, or even a Fitbit--mine needs to sync with my phone.

No, I don't have a "smart" watch, nor do I carry a phone to tell the time. I wear a regular wristwatch that tells time. So simple.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks, Bonnie, for finding out the current situation. As others have said the binoculars are no great loss, they weren’t that brilliant.

Clocks aren’t mentioned on the website,  but umbrellas & binoculars are. Here’s the link for the description https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/our-ships/staterooms/club-oceanview-stateroom and a screenshot of the page.

B8415D5D-28D3-4D37-94AB-30A24FF7EF25.png

Well, that’s 2 amenities to delete from the list now - the fruit basket and the binoculars. And I agree that a clock is basic to a hotel room, and should be reinstated.

• Like 1

The fruit basket is still available.  Just ask your room steward.  I was on Pursuit in May after they announced the change to “request if you want one”. No problem. It was covered off at the first meeting of my room attendant who specifically asked me if I wanted a daily fruit basket and what I’d like.  

Phil

• Like 2

I could never work out how to set the alarms on the old cabin clocks and often got woken at some unearthly hour on the first morning of a cruise because the previous passenger had set the alarm very early for debark. 

I am quite happy with my IPhone alarm. I always charge it overnight at the USB port by the bed anyway. 

3 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

No, I don't have a "smart" watch, nor do I carry a phone to tell the time. I wear a regular wristwatch that tells time. So simple.

Of course, you'll still need to be aware of the time changes to re-set your watch.

25 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Of course, you'll still need to be aware of the time changes to re-set your watch.

Yes, I will. Haven't missed the ship yet! But thanks for the reminder.

Edited by hrhdhd

2 hours ago, Lottie A said:

I could never work out how to set the alarms on the old cabin clocks and often got woken at some unearthly hour on the first morning of a cruise because the previous passenger had set the alarm very early for debark. 

I am quite happy with my IPhone alarm. I always charge it overnight at the USB port by the bed anyway. 

Lottie-when i was new to the cruise line   someone forgot to change my time. Well, the front desk had no clue. The person who came to the cabin had no clue. So since that first cruise i get the butler to do it. i was just on another line and my butler would do it but it was the easiest clock I have ever changed at sea.

Also i  have no been in some very posh hotels that forgot the clock. I even called for  one. One had them but the other said we do not use them anymore.really! My phone could be anywhere and I am looking at the clock for the correct time as i rush around to be dressed.

6 hours ago, Lottie A said:

I remember when those clocks first arrived on Journey.  We were awakened the first morning by The William Tell Overture at stupid o’clock.  We switched the alarm off, we thought, until we were awakened on the second morning.  This time we took the batteries out.  Our cabin steward kindly replaced them for us, but we didn’t notice until William Tell spoke up again on the third morning.  We sat down for some quality time with the clock, and thought we had it sussed.  Until Happy Birthday woke us up on the fourth morning.  We took the batteries out again and hid them, and left a note for the steward confessing that the clock was much cleverer than us, and to please not replace the batteries.  Morning peace and quiet reigned for the rest of the cruise.

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I remember when those clocks first arrived on Journey.  We were awakened the first morning by The William Tell Overture at stupid o’clock.  We switched the alarm off, we thought, until we were awakened on the second morning.  This time we took the batteries out.  Our cabin steward kindly replaced them for us, but we didn’t notice until William Tell spoke up again on the third morning.  We sat down for some quality time with the clock, and thought we had it sussed.  Until Happy Birthday woke us up on the fourth morning.  We took the batteries out again and hid them, and left a note for the steward confessing that the clock was much cleverer than us, and to please not replace the batteries.  Morning peace and quiet reigned for the rest of the cruise.

I know. I could never work out how to deactivate those repeat alarms either. Captain Johannes used to make jokes about those alarm clocks. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hiccups said:

Wow... it wasn't like there was much of a choice to begin with, but no free movies?  We don't really care for the entertainment on Azamara and so often spend the evening in our cabin watching a movie.  That's something I always commented upon in our end-of-cruise survey.

There were two channels showing movies when I was on Pursuit in May this year. Channel 35 (I think) gives the list of movies for the day. 

Oceania provide very simple, straightforward easy to operate (nothing digital) clocks in their staterooms.   The clock face is large easy to read and when you pick it up the face lights up so you can check the time during the night.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marmaduke said:

Oceania provide very simple, straightforward easy to operate (nothing digital) clocks in their staterooms.   The clock face is large easy to read and when you pick it up the face lights up so you can check the time during the night.

Sounds very like the workings of the Shangri Las clocks and exactly what I would still welcome. Of course if we are going on Pursuit we will bring our own now - a pain but it can come. I just hope we can keep avoiding having to pack it for Journey and Quest - unless their days are numbered there which would be a big mistake in my mind. 

9 hours ago, Belfastman said:

There were two channels showing movies when I was on Pursuit in May this year. Channel 35 (I think) gives the list of movies for the day. 

Yes, but they aren't interactive. They have certain movies on at certain times of the day and if you miss the beginning because you aren't there then there is nothing you can do. Not very convenient and certainly not on demand as currently on Journey and Quest. 

Phil 

21 hours ago, hiccups said:

Many times we have mentioned the poor quality of the in room entertainment, particularly the lack of any decent  music but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Now on Pursuit it is even worse, if they could not do anything during a 4 months refit what chance now?.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Yes, but they aren't interactive. They have certain movies on at certain times of the day and if you miss the beginning because you aren't there then there is nothing you can do. Not very convenient and certainly not on demand as currently on Journey and Quest. 

Phil 

When did they add on demand movies?  On our 2017 and 2018 sailings on Journey and Quest, we had the "here's when the movies start" version.  At least they included that information in the daily planner.

We were on our first Celebrity cruise a few weeks ago, and they had some good on-demand movie choices, but $15 each was a bit steep.  We watched one movie to use up the last of our nonrefundable OBC.  Their on-demand free choices weren't anything we were interested in seeing, although I took in one movie at their theater.  If they'd only had popcorn 🙂

I like knowing what time it is if I’m having trouble sleeping.  With so many hotels (and apparently Azamara) now having an outlet or USB ports on the night stand, I purchased clock that can plug into either.  It’s a little heavier than I’d like ...about 2/3 lb,... but I love that it has two easy wheels on the back that allow me to adjust the brightness of the light and the volume level of the alarm.  Very simple to use.

https://www.amazon.com/DreamSky-Compact-Charging-Adjustable-Brightness/dp/B07FN8HL5S

Edited by SoBaycruiser
  • Thanks 1