Does The Media Hate Cruising?

babs135

Following on from an earlier post of mine here is another one about the technical problem which has affected the Norwegian Pearl. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/retiree-devastated-after-norwegian-pearl-17447647

I accept that he and his family were upset but I just love the phrase 'Companies should not do things like that to people'!!!  Did he think NCL deliberately sabotaged one of their ships?  And how about this statement 'why was NCL not able to organise a replacement ship or fix the mechanical problem'?!!

I make no further comment.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Following on from an earlier post of mine here is another one about the technical problem which has affected the Norwegian Pearl. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/retiree-devastated-after-norwegian-pearl-17447647

I accept that he and his family were upset but I just love the phrase 'Companies should not do things like that to people'!!!  Did he think NCL deliberately sabotaged one of their ships?  And how about this statement 'why was NCL not able to organise a replacement ship or fix the mechanical problem'?!!

I make no further comment.

Thanks babs. In order for me to access your article I have to answer a questionnaire about toothpaste!

If the on-line source is the Mirror, it's click-bait. It's always been a rag in print and it's worse on-line.

And no, the media doesn't hate cruising. This type of media loves a good storey to generate clicks and advertising revenue. 

Even if they did "hate cruising" why would anyone care? 

Edited by DirtyDawg

How interesting. Don't know where the survey came from, it was a straightforward article on my computer (not your regular clickbait). Hope it brought a smile on your face (sorry!)

22 minutes ago, babs135 said:

How interesting. Don't know where the survey came from, it was a straightforward article on my computer (not your regular clickbait). Hope it brought a smile on your face (sorry!)

I didn't get past question # 1 of the survey. There was at least 2 questions , and probably a lot more about toothpaste, and who knows what other hygiene products they'd get into.

Do you have the other details of the storey?

Edited by DirtyDawg

27 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

And no, the media doesn't hate cruising. This type of media loves a good storey to generate clicks and advertising revenue. 

Agree. 

Of course this mechanical breakdown is a bonanza for supermarket tabloids - considering the almost 2,400 passengers Pearl carries, there are just under 4,800 tales of woe - about  those whose cruises were cut short and those whose upcoming cruises were impacted - for us to read about in coming weeks. 

• Haha 1

The takeaway from these discussions for me:

People should understand (and make a distinction between) responsible journalism and "tabloid journalism". Most of us on these boards know a lot about cruising, so it's easy for us to scoff at and disregard those types of stories. But we need to apply that to areas where we know less. Always look at the source of the information. If you don't know the source, investigate.

So many times (as someone who works in the health arena), I am approached by people who've read crazy "scare" stories online somewhere and believe them to be true. The vaccination issue is a good example.

Once upon a time people seemed to understand that those tabloids sold at checkout counters at the supermarket were for entertainment, not news. Remember such headlines as "Bigfoot kept lumberjack as love slave" and "Chimp head put on human body"? 

Then the publishers became more sophisticated and the internet came along. People seemingly forgot to consider the source. And (at least in the US) this has also been confounded by politicization of everything, so that now folks seem to not understand the difference between fact and opinion (as in, the facts cited by a publication can be true, but the conclusions drawn about those facts may not be the same one you would make....) This is not the same thing as #FakeNews, though many slap that label on any story they don't like.

Ahh, whatever. 

• Like 3

Negative cruise items do  seem to always attract the News of the Day.

Example is Noro Virus . 300 sick on a 3000 passenger ship is headlines yet thousands of cases in a local School System  may never be acknowledged in the news.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, babs135 said:

He questioned why Norwegian Cruise Line was not able to organise a replacement ship or fix the mechanical problem on the boat.

He is absolutely right!  Every cruise line should have a spare ship on standby, waiting empty for an occasion like this! It could be sent by DHL or UPS to where ever the problem is located, by overnight expresss.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Over a century ago, the American writer Peter Finley Dunne observed that the media's role was to "comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable."  This would be one of those times. 

The media would quite naturally seek out the most aggrieved even if their expectations were unreasonable (i.e. expecting a new ship to magically appear to let them continue their cruise.) It is a more compelling story than the cruiser who simply took the change of events in stride.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Over a century ago, the American writer Peter Finley Dunne observed that the media's role was to "comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable."  This would be one of those times. 

The media would quite naturally seek out the most aggrieved even if their expectations were unreasonable (i.e. expecting a new ship to magically appear to let them continue their cruise.) It is a more compelling story than the cruiser who simply took the change of events in stride.

News organizations report on negative topics because it is more profitable than reporting on positives, knowing it is what the public wants. We can only blame the readers, not the news organizations, for that. The public's appetite for negative news is similar their habit of slowing down to see a car wreck. Onlooking someone else's misfortune makes us secretly feel thankful that it did not happen to us. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

7 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

News organizations report on negative topics because it is more profitable than reporting on positives, knowing it is what the public wants. We can only blame the readers, not the news organizations, for that. The public's appetite for negative news is similar their habit of slowing down to see a car wreck. Onlooking someone else's misfortune makes us feel thankful that it did not happen to us. 

[Curmudgeon warning 😉 ]

Broadcast news media talking heads seem to like to appear to be voices of reason and authority, even when it is apparent they know nothing about the subject presented to the viewer. [with a choice of terms/usage grating to the ear]

Two minor, but frequently repeated examples from national newscasts

• On 'The Tarmac' at an airport - Apparently 'journalists' are taught that 'The Tarmac' is a standard airport feature, like runways, taxiways, aprons, terminals and ramps. Their repeated usages suggest that the phasing is intended to convey 'inside knowledge' and hence enhanced authority for the story or message. 
  • Every US Navy vessel is called a 'Battleship' - This is seemingly true for every class excepting submarines and carriers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

He is absolutely right!  Every cruise line should have a spare ship on standby, waiting empty for an occasion like this! It could be sent by DHL or UPS to where ever the problem is located, by overnight expresss.

This is the sort of shortsightedness which has led to the decline of cruiser satisfaction, as courageously exposed by the gentlemen of the fourth estate:  how can any well managed line have just one ship in reserve?

The fact that one of their ships suffered a breakdown is proof positive that such breakdowns can and will happen.  What happens once can clearly happen again - so how can they possibly justify not having a ship in reserve immediately after it has been demonstrated that they need such a reserve ship?

It seems obvious that all their posturing about clean seas is simply smokescreen to divert attention from the more serious problem: lack of redundancy.

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Nah, overnight express would take too long. They should build an exact duplicate for every ship. The duplicate would follow the main ship at a safe distance at all times.  The captain in the lead ship could control the following ship by remote control. If the lead ship breaks down, everyone would be transferred to the duplicate ship behind it.

Easy peazy.

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Thanks 1

Does the media hate cruising?  No.

Is a cruise ship canceling a cruise on short notice news worthy? Yes.

FYI the media doesn’t hate air travel either, despite the fact they report on the Boeing 747 max more than the planes that are flying safely. 

I understand you are having fun with posting these media stories and it does prove a point.

The media will use whatever topic they can to get your attention. If you keep your antennas up on just the seasonal news stories and how they are regurgitated year after year, it will make sense.

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

People should understand (and make a distinction between) responsible journalism and "tabloid journalism". Most of us on these boards know a lot about cruising, so it's easy for us to scoff at and disregard those types of stories. But we need to apply that to areas where we know less. Always look at the source of the information. If you don't know the source, investigate.

So many times (as someone who works in the health arena), I am approached by people who've read crazy "scare" stories online somewhere and believe them to be true. The vaccination issue is a good example.

Once upon a time people seemed to understand that those tabloids sold at checkout counters at the supermarket were for entertainment, not news. Remember such headlines as "Bigfoot kept lumberjack as love slave" and "Chimp head put on human body"? 

Then the publishers became more sophisticated and the internet came along. People seemingly forgot to consider the source. And (at least in the US) this has also been confounded by politicization of everything, so that now folks seem to not understand the difference between fact and opinion (as in, the facts cited by a publication can be true, but the conclusions drawn about those facts may not be the same one you would make....) This is not the same thing as #FakeNews, though many slap that label on any story they don't like.

Ahh, whatever. 

Sorry, but "responsible journalism" is a thing of the past. Today's major papers would have been considered tabloids 20 years ago!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even mainstream media, especially tv so-called news, has deteriorated to the point that it mostly thrives on sensationalism, the more negative the better.  And the tabloids are even worse.  So many stories are so over-blown and/or slanted I rarely watch anymore. .  It just makes me angry or disgusted.

Our cruise on the Pearl this spring was less than stellar due to Noro and cold, rough weather, but we managed to enjoy ourselves anyway.  Of course, we didn't get sick, so that helped.

I feel for the people on this cruise; it would be terrible and disappointing, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow.  Of course they deserve good compensation, but things happen.  Like our house flooding this spring--we didn't run crying to the media about the big bad weatherman (kidding) or whoever was to 'blame'.  I doubt very much that Norwegian wanted all this ruckus, expense and negative publicity.

20 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Thanks babs. In order for me to access your article I have to answer a questionnaire about toothpaste!

If the on-line source is the Mirror, it's click-bait. It's always been a rag in print and it's worse on-line.

I actually do not mind the media bagging out Cruising, as long as it keeps the prices of the cruises lower.

From what I’ve seen, the article also makes it look as though NCL did not offer any compensation or refund.  Apparently, they just kept everyone’s money and said “That’s too bad.  Sorry you won’t get anything for your $7000.”  It would be nice if they actually told the whole story in cases like this.

And the people in these stories are never annoyed and inconvenienced, ore even seriously peed off.  No, they’re heartbroken, devastated, and inconsolable, because they think that’s going to get them a better compensation offer, or at least some fees from news interviews.

If you hate the media, and think it's 'tabloid' and full of sensationalism you only have your fellow human beings to blame. We are a society that consumes trash gleefully and the media will shovel this crap at us because we eat it up. The mainstream media is full of mindless 'reality' TV pablum for the masses; The House Wives of everywhere, Dancing with the B and C listers, I'm a frustrated, no talent, celebrity wannabee pretending to date 20 guys or gals, and that Car  Dash'n gang is on TV for what reason? We don't pick up books and read about in-depth topics such as the great military aviators of all time. Does the average Joe know about the great aviators like Manfred von Richthofen, Chuck Yeager and George Washington? (Sorry, couldn't help myself) Tabloid news media draws society's eyeballs with sensationalism because those eyeballs don't want to think. We get the media we deserve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

From what I’ve seen, the article also makes it look as though NCL did not offer any compensation or refund.  Apparently, they just kept everyone’s money and said “That’s too bad.  Sorry you won’t get anything for your $7000.”  It would be nice if they actually told the whole story in cases like this.

The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2019/07/05/thousands-vacations-canceled-after-mechanical-failure-norwegian-cruise-line-ship/?utm_term=.2f8a50c24ad8) in an article entitled Thousands of vacations canceled after mechanical failure on Norwegian Cruise Line ship. The takeaway? Get travel insurance. did report "While NCL provided guests stuck in Barcelona with a 50 percent refund, a 50 percent future cruise credit and up to $300 in flight change fees, customers ran into problems when it came time to book new flights home. "

I found the entire article much more balanced than usually seen in the media about cruising, especially the conclusion: 

'While Chiron ("cruise expert Stewart Chiron of the Cruise Guy") said news covering cruise problems tends to be hyperbolic, it does shed light on a different important consideration for cruise-goers.

“It does highlight the need of travel insurance,” Chiron said. “I’m not trying to over dramatize it, but there are so many moving parts. The insurance is so important that your property, your health and your trip is protected."'

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 7:34 AM, babs135 said:

And how about this statement..

'Why was NCL not able to organise a replacement ship

or fix the mechanical problem'?!!

I personally have several replacement cruise ships waiting!

Fully staffed and provisioned, just waiting!

And I'm sure NCL and other cruise lines

also have several replacement ships, just waiting in the wings

- ships they can summon in a big hurry (under 4 hrs.)  Grooooaan!

The world is full of utterly clueless people

who don't have a clue how systems work! It's quite amazing..really.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 9:01 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Ahh, whatever. 

Wait wait! I agree with your general point, but that story about Bigfoot and his love slave is true! I read about it also on the internet!

Seriously, when I read these stories about disrupted cruises and vacation plans, I do sometimes mock the woe-is-me overreaction of some as reported in various media, but I also sympathize. Whether novice or veteran traveler, the hassle of dealing with rebookings and reroutings and refunds and cancellations and long lines at Guest Relations and at the airport “service “ counters, that is not going to make for a fun time. No matter what the future cruise-credit compensation etc might turn out to be. 

I am pleased never to have had to deal with more than a few flight cancellations, a few unplanned overnights. I try to have “adequate “ trip insurance but I never want to have to learn how to invoke that coverage!

Stan

• Like 3