Additional Non-Monetary tips.

Longboysfan

3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

So now giving gifts (in addition to money, not in place of) is considered selfish!?!?   I will just never understand how some people think.  I give my hairdresser a plate of Christmas cookies along with extra tip money over the holidays.  Am I being selfish?  I guess so. I also guess I will just have to continue being selfish by being generous to people because it is a nice thing to do. I wonder about anyone who would be offended by someone thinking of them and being nice to them.  Geez.  

The previous poster said it was different if you had an established relationship...so your example of cookies to your hairdresser is not what he/she was talking about.

Yes, it is a kind of thoughtless benevolence to give someone a “present” that, in their position, they must smile and thank you for regardless of what they truly feel.  Some might call that selfish.  It makes you feel good but you aren’t thinking about how they may feel.

If we are talking about cabin stewards you have had only one cruise with there is no way you can tell if they are sincerely grateful for your non-monetary gift.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

It makes you feel good but you aren’t thinking about how they may feel.

Perfect summary.  Just because they're polite doesn't mean they really loved it.  "It's the thought that counts" only flies when it's family. 

I will second the notion that taking the time to fill our the comment cards regarding individual crew members is ALMOST as good as an additional cash tip.  I have been told by more than one high ranking crew member that these go into the crews files and are used for promotional consideration, additional time off and other perks....WAY better than any candy I can think of.

• Like 2

We travel with heaps of Australian fridge magnets to hold bits and pieces to the cabin walls including our itinerary, a map of the world, a map of Australia (our home) and one of the region we're travelling in eg Europe, the Americas, and so on. Without fail, the room steward, breakfast and room service crew stop to point out their home and find different places they've sailed to.Towards the end of the cruise we ask if they'd like anything and we're often surprised by their choices. 

One of the best non monetary gifts we've ever given was to a room service girl on a lengthy b2b. She used to come to "collect" non existent dishes just so she could talk about the maps and her dreams for the future. She chose a small magnet but was thrilled when we said she could take the map of the world and a half dozen Aussie magnets to attach it to HER wall.....if she wanted it 😂. We'll never forget her excitement as we folded the map and put the goodies in a bag for her.

Goes without saying that at Easter and Christmas we have a large bowl of eggs, bunnies and santas for the crew to help themselves.

I guess now that we don't have formal nights people have room in their luggage and weight allowance to bring pounds of candy with them to give the the crew.

I'm just trying to combine tipping and dress code on this thread 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I just tip extra in cash. Each crew member can then decide for themselves what to do with the cash. They could buy some candy, or a bottle of Whisky, or a phone card to call home,  or they could invest in bitcoin. They are all big boys and girls, I let them decide.

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I guess now that we don't have formal nights people have room in their luggage and weight allowance to bring pounds of candy with them to give the the crew.

I'm just trying to combine tipping and dress code on this thread 🙂

Add in the non existent footstools and you’ll have a trifecta!

I have never understood why people think it is acceptable to give candy, trinkets, etc. to staff when on cruises.  Do you bring candy to leave for wait staff in restaurants, parking attendants, hotel staff, etc?

These are adults, yet I see people on cruises treat them like children.

Same as you and I and other adults, they work to earn money.  They then take that money to purchase what they want.

Yes, they may like candy, which they choose and purchase themselves.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CAicruiser said:

It is very rude for crew members not to accept any gifts from the customers even it means useless to them.

Few months ago a couple from Hawaii used to give candy from Hawaii.

What a surprise when the bartender received it thought not to her liking.

These people came so far away from the other side of globe and try to give a better living for this families and what they got are candy to bring home.

They get salary and some more cash if go extra and beyond.

As I understand candy is just a gift, not an attempt to make crew families life better.

If I receive a gift from friends or coworkers I might like it or not, but I am not thinking about its monetary value and if it was better to receive money. 😉 

I gave non-monetary gifts to my cabin stewards on two cruises. Both attempts fell flat and stewards looked at me like I was crazy.

Years ago (before the days of everyone having cell phones) I had read that the crew liked to get pre-paid phone cards (remember those?) so they could call home when in port. So I bought a pack and handed them out on the first day of the cruise. You know, the advice that you should tip on the first day so you get better service? I got a polite but unenthusiastic thank you and a strange look from each person and that was the end of that.

A couple of years ago we took a Christmas cruise. My kids were still teens so I wanted to make it still feel like Christmas so I had a little Christmas tree and some decorations. My tradition is also to give tins of homemade cookies and candy to all my friends and neighbors. So I brought along an extra tin for the room steward and handed it to him the first day. He looked puzzled and tried to give it back. I explained it was for him and he looked very confused. Finally, the next day he did thank me and say that he and his roommate shared the goodies and enjoyed them. I realized that giving him the tin of cookies did more for me than it did for him.

We always tip extra for the people who give us good service at the end of the cruise and everyone seems to understand that, so I've given up the "extras" and am sticking with cash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drew69 said:

I have never understood why people think it is acceptable to give candy, trinkets, etc. to staff when on cruises.  Do you bring candy to leave for wait staff in restaurants, parking attendants, hotel staff, etc?

These are adults, yet I see people on cruises treat them like children.

Same as you and I and other adults, they work to earn money.  They then take that money to purchase what they want.

Yes, they may like candy, which they choose and purchase themselves.

Funny you should mention leaving candy for hotel staff. At a small pseudo B&B I stayed at in St Augustine they had a little note next to the table flower pot and gift envelope expressing how candy would be appreciated. As I always travel with plenty of chocolate for DW, the housekeeping staff was left some chocolate along with the usual cash tip.

10 hours ago, chefchick said:

I will second the notion that taking the time to fill our the comment cards regarding individual crew members is ALMOST as good as an additional cash tip.  I have been told by more than one high ranking crew member that these go into the crews files and are used for promotional consideration, additional time off and other perks....WAY better than any candy I can think of.

This is true. Last cruise we were told by our Blu maitre 'd, waiter and our sommelier om three separate occasions that changes have been made to how their performance is assessed. Only a 9 or 10 rating on the feedback questionnaire will do them any favours now. A score of 8 or below will not help them in any way. 

Those who achieve the best ratings do have a better chance of promotion and do accrue more time off. 

Edited by Mynki
  • Like 1

This topic reminds me of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation when Clark is expecting a $$$ Christmas bonus check but receives a One Year Subscription for the Jelly of the Month Club.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Have you ever been into an Asian grocery store?  You probably wouldn't recognize anything in the candy aisle, or like it if you tried it (we do go buy things, just to try something we're not used to).  The point being, what is a yummy treat to you may not be to someone else.

If we're on a back to back and have the same cabin steward for both legs, we'll usually ask if there's anything we can get them or that they would like from port, as they are so busy on turn around day, and cannot get off the ship.  Once we had a steward to said he'd love some Snickers, so we went to a drug store in Puerto Rico and loaded up on them for him.  It was something he chose, and was in addition to monetary tips.  Other stewards have politely said thanks, but there was nothing.

On our last Cruise (b2b) we had one of the best staff in Blu (Waiter, Asst Waiter an Sommelier).   We left a very nice comment for them on the Attention to Detail form that was left on our bed about mid cruise.  The next night the each thanked us and said they had been called up at staff meeting by the Hotel Director and given recognition for their compliments.   The indicated that they get a certificate that they can use in the gift shop for candy or other incidentals.   Each of them told me they love chocolate and were going to be using it on KitKat's.  

At one of the later ports we picked up a big bag of KitKat Mini's and would leave them one each night.    They really loved it and it became a big joke item.   We of course left a very nice tip for each of them as they had really made our trip special.    

• Like 7

1 hour ago, keesar said:

This topic reminds me of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation when Clark is expecting a $$$ Christmas bonus check but receives a One Year Subscription for the Jelly of the Month Club.  

I love this movie!!!

However he expects Christmas bonus check , because it is probably in his contract or happened before, but we are talking about gifts.

Gifts are gifts. They should not be expected or judged.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

Something to be considered when giving candy as in addition to a monetary tip to cruise personnel.

An individual may be dealing with diseases or conditions that causes them dietary conditions-ie,diabetes,food allergies, gluten issues etc. Candy may not always easy the  best treat.

I agree with other posters here that monetary tips above the auto gratuities and a comment card are most appreciated for  exemplary service.

• Like 2

Something else that I thought of...

Keeping a tidy,neat cabin is a plus for a steward that needs to attend to many cabins.

I  am not saying to clean the cabin and make the bed, but pick up your things and be respectful of his/her work.

A smile and a kind “please “and “thank you “ is a  plus for others who help you on the cruise. Waiters, bartenders and guest service personnel appreciate pleasant passengers as it makes their jobs a bit easier.

People in the service/hospitality fields do not appreciate grumpy complainers that are difficult to please.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

Something else that I thought of...

Keeping a tidy,neat cabin is a plus for a steward that needs to attend to many cabins.

I  am not saying to clean the cabin and make the bed, but pick up your things and be respectful of his/her work.

A smile and a kind “please “and “thank you “ is a  plus for others who help you on the cruise. Waiters, bartenders and guest service personnel appreciate pleasant passengers as it makes their jobs a bit easier.

People in the service/hospitality fields do not appreciate grumpy complainers that are difficult to please.

Agree .. a great gift is to keep your cabin tidy so they can quickly do the cleaning and not need to fold your clothes and put cosmetics away nor move your mess form the counter. If you hire a cleaning service at home the rules state that surfaces must be clear. I have seen a lot of messes through open cabin doors.

• Like 2

Thanks gold1953 !

I am thinking that 1953 is a significant year for you- it is for me as that is my birth year.

I have seen some pretty messy cabins as I walk down the hallway from our cabin. Don’t mean to pry, but can’t help noticing.

I cringe for the steward that has to deal with the mess !

17 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

The best thing about cash tips is that they can send it home to their families who can really use the cash so much more than your waiter or your room attendant can enjoy that piece of candy.

Again... it is not instead of tips.

And... I think most people would prefer just cash for birthdays instead of gifts, but we do not choose what people give us as gifts.