I Don't Understand...

grsnovi

HAL has lots of 'dam ships that are in some port every day yet here on CC, there seems to be a fascination with the ships in port in Alaska on a daily basis. Can somebody explain to me why there is a daily message thread on specific ships in specific ports? For those interested it is certainly easy enough to have a browser favorite saved for the port's webcam.

1 minute ago, grsnovi said:

HAL has lots of 'dam ships that are in some port every day yet here on CC, there seems to be a fascination with the ships in port in Alaska on a daily basis. Can somebody explain to me why there is a daily message thread on specific ships in specific ports? For those interested it is certainly easy enough to have a browser favorite saved for the port's webcam.

It's a service one of the members has taken on, and I appreciate it.  As for those who track ships in certain ports, I can't speak for others, but for me, it's a joy seeing those lovely blue-hulled ships in real time as I count down to my next cruise. 

• Like 10

Great answer, ssn. 

I like the feeling of community. I look a couple times a week. I suppose Alaska because thats where the webcam is. And the ships are. In winter it will be Port Everglades.

To each their own.

• Like 4

The fleet report thread has been around a long time.  It’s part of the tradition of the HAL board.  Same thing goes for the Bon Voyage threads and the Future Cruise Listings.

For a number of years it was done by LAFFNVEGAS and then luvtwotrvl & his DH (hope I got the CC names right).

It was given up due to the contact at HAL being lost and @richwmn was kind enough to find a way to put it all together and bring it back.

I, for one enjoy seeing where the ships are and appreciate the time and effort to provide it to us daily.  If it’s not of interest, just skip it 🙂 

It’s not a matter of webcams - it’s a matter of seeing all the different port destinations 😉  

It takes time to do and I appreciate it.  🙂 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

He lists the location of every dam ship Holland America has. Some are at sea and some don't have webcams. I enjoy reading it. 

Edited by lindaler
It didn't like the word dam
  • Like 3

For the record, I didn't say that it bothered me or that it wasn't of interest - I was just curious. If there are posts dealing with ships in ports other than Alaska, I don't recall seeing them (which doesn't mean that the next 37 replies need to be links to posts regarding ships in ports other than Alaska).

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

For the record, I didn't say that it bothered me or that it wasn't of interest - I was just curious. If there are posts dealing with ships in ports other than Alaska, I don't recall seeing them (which doesn't mean that the next 37 replies need to be links to posts regarding ships in ports other than Alaska).

The posts regarding Alaska, and in season Fort Lauderdale, are easy and interesting to many people. In some respects it is a social time online, somewhat akin to "Happy Hour". At times there will be threads dealing with ships in the locks of the Panama Canal, again web cams are easy to access, but someone has to realize that the transit is happening. Other ports have come up at times, it all depends on who wants to start the thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

.............................. Other ports have come up at times, it all depends on who wants to start the thread.

And where the better webcams are located! :classic_wink: San Diego used to have a nice one located on top of a high rise that overlooked the cruise ship berths there. It could even be remotely manipulated by those on Cruise Critic and elsewhere. There were several "banner waves" recorded from the bows of HAL ships there on that cam thanks to poster Laffnvegas. Sadly, that cam is no longer operational and a lot of us are waiting for PTZ to make an entry into that (San Diego) scene

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

There were several "banner waves

We had participated in several banner waves on the O'dam years ago. It was kinda fun having the banner and signing it the next year. What prompted my original post was the fact that we're departing in a week on our 4th AK cruise and I was just seeing a lot of ships in Alaska port postings (if this is Monday it must be Juneau, etc...). It's funny how the availability of video feed cameras on the internet has made travel research so much easier. Looking at traffic cams in the winter or at rush hour. Watching the rain come down in Ketchikan and hoping that by next week things will have dried up... :classic_cool:

32 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

We had participated in several banner waves on the O'dam years ago. It was kinda fun having the banner and signing it the next year. What prompted my original post was the fact that we're departing in a week on our 4th AK cruise and I was just seeing a lot of ships in Alaska port postings (if this is Monday it must be Juneau, etc...). It's funny how the availability of video feed cameras on the internet has made travel research so much easier. Looking at traffic cams in the winter or at rush hour. Watching the rain come down in Ketchikan and hoping that by next week things will have dried up... :classic_cool:

Do you plan to be on deck when Eurodam arrives in Juneau.  I will be on a trip and probably not watching but some of the other addicts may be watching you.

Roy

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Do you plan to be on deck when Eurodam arrives in Juneau

I can't say as I'm not the master of my own domain :classic_sad: There will be 10 of us (4 of whom will be children) so there's no tellin' where I'll be. 

• Thanks 1

I enjoy looking at the ships arriving in Juneau whenever I am available.  In the winter, if I am up early, I like to watch the ships arrive in Ft Lauderdale.  I rarely get to see them sail away as I am cooking dinner.  There are people who like to watch other web cameras for other ports.

I also enjoy reading the daily Fleet reports and the Bon Voyage threads.  

A lot of people spend a lot of time getting all this information put together.

On 7/25/2019 at 4:48 PM, grsnovi said:

Spot on, grsnovi ... especially good insight into why many people don't post questions on here ...