Which wil be the deciding factor for you to stop cruising: Health/Wealth or Both?

SmoothFlying

I'm pretty sure health will be our deciding factor. 

We are both currently 53 with no debt and own our home outright.  DH retired last year, after working in the same factory for 31 years, and I will be retiring in a year and a half.  We are currently saving 40% of my annual pay each year on top of having been saving since we were married 31 years ago.  Needless to say we have a good nest egg saved, a good investment in our home, plus 2 pension funds and social securities when we reach that age.  We also live well below our means....as can be seen by our life time in savings.  Our 2 splurges were our kids and our travel.  So wealth is not our issue.

On the other side of the coin, I was diagnosed with a peripartum cardiomyopathy at the age of 30 when my DD was born and DS was 2.  With an EF of 7% at the time I came close to dying.     My DF passed away from a cardiomyopathy at the age of 59 and my DB passed away from a cardiomyopathy at the age of 39.  I had another life threatening episode 3 years ago yesterday when I had 3 mini-strokes as a result of spontaneous dissected carotid artery.  My DM, who is 73, had a major stroke this last November while she was in the hospital after just having surgery to drain a subdural hematoma.  She still has very little use of her left side.  My BFF, cousin, and maid of honor passed away 2 years ago at 48 from a brain tumor.  Finally my DH's brother, who just retired in February at 65, was in surgery yesterday for a double lung transplant.  Health is why I am retiring in a year and half.

Life is short.  Which is why we prioritized our kids (including paying for their college tuitions so they are debt-free), travel (spending valuable time with our kids and with each other), and saving for retirement by both putting funds in our savings early and often and paying off our mortgage.  The hope is that by retiring early we can enjoy more flexibility and  time to travel together and as a family before health permanently stops us from doing so like it did so many in our family.  

• Like 1

a sudden lack of being vertical and ventilating will be the deciding factor of me not cruising anymore. They're gonna have to drag my scooter and inflated ego onto the ship, and some day it will happen and they will, pack my non ventilating saggy pale butt off.   

A dear friend of mine had a major stroke at age 50. All of the plans they had for adventure travel were done. All of the money they had saved for travel when they retired had to be used to remodel the house so she could come home.

In a blink of an eye, all of their careful plans changed radically.

My younger sister is having the first of 2 knee replacements next month.

I will continue to travel as much as I can afford to while I am healthy and mobile. We live on a beautiful blue ball, and I want to see as much of it as possible.

• Like 2

I sincerely hope so much that any young person (21-25) who, by accident or other means, who happens to read these eye opening earnest heart felt testimonies will take them to heart and realize just how precious and how short life really is. I remember when I was almost 13 and upon hearing my Dad was to turn 40 a week later, I could not even comprehend being FORTY !! To a pre teen of 12 it seemed centuries away. But now I'm 69 and the years are FLYING by and I keep telling my grandchildren ages 8,10,12,. 'STOP, enjoy your youth NOW, savor every year, you won't pass this way again.' Of course they have this puzzled look at this OLD gray haired man like he's an alien. And, to the young, I guess I am. After all, that young 12 old boy NEVER though he'd never see forty years old come and pass, either.

Mac

(P.S. I hope you all enjoy a LONG and loving life, which includes as many cruises as you'd like)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

I sincerely hope so much that any young person (21-25) who, by accident or other means, who happens to read these eye opening earnest heart felt testimonies will take them to heart and realize just how precious and how short life really is. I remember when I was almost 13 and upon hearing my Dad was to turn 40 a week later, I could not even comprehend being FORTY !! To a pre teen of 12 it seemed centuries away. But now I'm 69 and the years are FLYING by and I keep telling my grandchildren ages 8,10,12,. 'STOP, enjoy your youth NOW, savor every year, you won't pass this way again.' Of course they have this puzzled look at this OLD gray haired man like he's an alien. And, to the young, I guess I am. After all, that young 12 old boy NEVER though he'd never see forty years old come and pass, either.

Mac

(P.S. I hope you all enjoy a LONG and loving life, which includes as many cruises as you'd like)

Very well put indeed

• Like 1

I'm 33 so I still have quite a bit ahead of me. Who knows which one will go first. I think there's a few important things to remember: protect both, and enjoy every minute of life. That's really the best you can do.

I know too many people who don't want to admit it, but choices they made affected their health or wealth. It isn't 100% of the time, but give two people different choices, hold all other variable constant, and you will often see a different outcome. While not rich, I believe the wealth portion has been my stronger point.

Many of my friends and family say how lucky I am to be able to take 3-4 vacations a year at this age. While I am fortunate, I don't do anything crazy. I live within my means. Cut out unnecessary expenses. Work a lot of hours. Did not have a family at a young age. When I go on a vacation I don't justify an endless budget because I want to "treat myself"

• Like 1

Just a wonderful thread, thank you to all who contributed.

We were able to start taking our daughter and son traveling at a very young age. Tent camping, then a truck camper. Then we added a couple of visits to see Orlando, a rental house in Mexico deep in the country right on the Pacific ocean. And of course, many cruises.
My son (26) just did a 'guys' camping trip this past weekend and is leaving next month to go tent camping for two weeks in Colorado with his girlfriend. My daughter (24) is currently on a trip in Iceland in her camper van for a couple of weeks by herself. If interested, you can see some of her pictures here. Last year she toured the western U.S for four months, by herself.

Edited by Mike981
  • Like 2

All of these answers and memories are exactly the reason why we are doing far fewer cruises in retirement in favour independent land tours.    Should we oldies survive for a few more years there is little doubt that our cruising will increase as our land tours decrease.   It is part of the aging process.  Unless of course we get hit by a bus tomorrow.

We've been extremely disciplined about saving for retirement and will have a pension, 401K/IRA funds, and other investment and savings accounts.  We are in the process of protecting most of our assets with a trust and doing it now, long before we get to the "ten year look back" point. 

We will continue to travel until we no longer can do so.  Hopefully that will be another 20+ years.

We do accept that as we get older they types of travel we do will change.  We are planning on visiting some of the more "strenuous" parts of the world sooner than later, and within the next 10 years will visit Antarctica and Macchu Pichu.

• Like 1

My dear grandma was 95 lived a rich full life when she passed, my awesome mom her daughter was a young 65 when she passed two weeks later. There are no guarantees just chances to make decisions that bring joy and happiness whatever it might be. We continue to try to find balance in the wants and needs. What was a want in the past sometimes becomes a need as life changes and health, family and finances change year to year. Right now at this point in our life, travel, time with family, new sights and experiences make the priority cut. I don’t want to rush my life away but time is precious and fleeting....

As senior citizens it is a fine line to know how much we can afford to spend but leave enough in the kitty to make sure we are comfortable in our twilight years when any type of holiday could be a thing of the past.  How you work out where the 'fine line' is I haven't a clue.  In the meantime, once DH is back on his feet we intend to start cruising again (possibly with a vengeance if I have my way 🤣).  We've a lot of catching up to do!!

My mom has been loving in a retirement seniors  home, it's like a cruise ship on land, for 10 years. She moved in in her early 80's and figured it would be for five years or so. 10 years later she is still going strong. It costs approximately USD 50 grand  after tax per year so make sure your bank accounts are as healthy as you are!!!

Hopefully healthier  - your kids will 😊

Edited by DirtyDawg

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

As senior citizens it is a fine line to know how much we can afford to spend but leave enough in the kitty to make sure we are comfortable in our twilight years when any type of holiday could be a thing of the past.  How you work out where the 'fine line' is I haven't a clue.  In the meantime, once DH is back on his feet we intend to start cruising again (possibly with a vengeance if I have my way 🤣).  We've a lot of catching up to do!!

I urge you to see a certified financial planner who you can can pay by the hour rather than commission for the answer to this (and much more.)  We use a CPA who is also a CFP and meet with him once a year to make sure we're still on the right track with everything.  We have all of our documents in order and I create a spreadsheet with current balances in each account and our assets with their current value plus the mortgage and car loan if we have one at that point.  I also note any larger upcoming expenses--major home improvement or planned repair for example that will take money out of our assets.  That way he doesn't spend time shuffling through and trying to find documents while his billable clock is ticking.

We're usually there for an hour and get a bill for $250 a week later.  It's well worth the cost, as he's offered some excellent advice, and once saved us from going down a really bad path.

Edited by ducklite
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 10:19 PM, SmoothFlying said:

10 hours ago, tobyt said:

My dear grandma was 95 lived a rich full life when she passed, my awesome mom her daughter was a young 65 when she passed two weeks later. There are no guarantees just chances to make decisions that bring joy and happiness whatever it might be. We continue to try to find balance in the wants and needs. What was a want in the past sometimes becomes a need as life changes and health, family and finances change year to year. Right now at this point in our life, travel, time with family, new sights and experiences make the priority cut. I don’t want to rush my life away but time is precious and fleeting....

In the last 6 years 7 of my friends have died from cancer,3 pancreatic ,3 brain and 1 stomach.All but one were younger that me. Even though I am dealing with an illness for which there is no cure I try and get the most enjoyment out of every single day.Sometimes the pain is so severe that I want to jump off a roof I tell myself that I can still hope for better days.

55 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I urge you to see a certified financial planner who you can can pay by the hour rather than commission for the answer to this (and much more.)  We use a CPA who is also a CFP and meet with him once a year to make sure we're still on the right track with everything.  We have all of our documents in order and I create a spreadsheet with current balances in each account and our assets with their current value plus the mortgage and car loan if we have one at that point.  I also note any larger upcoming expenses--major home improvement or planned repair for example that will take money out of our assets.  That way he doesn't spend time shuffling through and trying to find documents while his billable clock is ticking.

We're usually there for an hour and get a bill for $250 a week later.  It's well worth the cost, as he's offered some excellent advice, and once saved us from going down a really bad path.

Thanks for your concern but my question was rhetorical rather than asking for an answer. We have an absolutely superb financial advisor who watches our money like a hawk!!!  

12 hours ago, Mike981 said:

f interested, you can see some of her pictures here. Last year she toured the western U.S for four months, by herself.

OH MY goodness !! Her pictures are BREATHTAKING !! She is such an independent traveler and she and her brother seem to share the same curiosity nature about travel and seeing our world. They surely must have inherited this love from their father. How I wish I had been able too travel before taking on a full time job with little vacation time till I changed jobs at 35 that allowed me to travel more but I hated going alone so most of the times I didn't go at all. Shame on me !

Mac 

14 hours ago, Mike981 said:

We were able to start taking our daughter and son traveling at a very young age. Tent camping, then a truck camper. Then we added a couple of visits to see Orlando, a rental house in Mexico deep in the country right on the Pacific ocean. And of course, many cruises.
My son (26) just did a 'guys' camping trip this past weekend and is leaving next month to go tent camping for two weeks in Colorado with his girlfriend. My daughter (24) is currently on a trip in Iceland in her camper van for a couple of weeks by herself. If interested, you can see some of her pictures here. Last year she toured the western U.S for four months, by herself.

What an awesome adventure for her and for your son too.  We traveled with our kids too from before they could walk.  DD is now 22 and DS is 25.  They both still try to go on one family trip with us each year when we can make the timing work for jobs and school.  Sometimes cruising, sometimes land vacation.  DS wants us to do a trip to Europe with him in a couple of years after I retire.  That is his dream vacation.  He is basically looking for a land vacation with his main goal of being in Paris for the end of the Tour de France.  DH and I will probably extend that some with a couple cruises while we are over there.  DD right away jumped in that she wanted to go too as Paris was always a place she wanted to visit.  I'm so glad my kids still love to travel and hope they always will.  Life is to short to save traveling for a someday that may never happen.  

• Like 1

We downsized and de-cluttered.  We remain clutter free.  As we age it is much more about experiences than it is about things.

Sometimes when we arrive home after an extended month trip the customs folks will raise their eyebrows when our response to what you bringing home is a big fat nothing whatsoever other than a cold.  Then they look at our carry on, nod knowingly, and send us on our way.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 5:29 PM, SmoothFlying said:

She's moved beyond cortisone to what her Dr. calls 'chicken juice' but its only good for a few weeks then the pain returns with a vengeance. And I fear the ultimate out come eventually will be a replacement. I hope SO much the cortisone shots give you some much needed relief. Good luck

Mac

@SmoothFlying If the "chicken juice" or "rooster boosters" as we call them are not working it is time for a knee replacement. I've hade 2 rounds of them and they work great so far.

For us, it will be our health that will end our cruising career.  We are lucky to be able to afford to fly business class so the flying is easier.

40 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

@SmoothFlying If the "chicken juice" or "rooster boosters" as we call them are not working it is time for a knee replacement. I've hade 2 rounds of them and they work great so far.

For us, it will be our health that will end our cruising career.  We are lucky to be able to afford to fly business class so the flying is easier.

Well, I remember after her last injection her Dr. saying she wouldn't really feel the effects for five weeks. So, I guess she's willing too wait it out till the last, just in case it helps. We have a cruise planned at Christmas and then an Alaskan cruise in June so she's hoping that by Dec she'll be more mobile. Her Doctor did say after her last injection, 'IF, after all this only YOU will know that it's time for knee replacement'.

Mac   

18 hours ago, Mike981 said:

A wonderful post.

Both my sons spent 3 years at University and my only advice was to enjoy every moment of it. I think they both did, even it invoolved waaaaaay too much alcohol.

Live every day like it matters.

• Like 2

I think ultimately health would stop most people from travelling. However having money can extend your travel as you can pay for upper class flights and services that can help with health related issues. I know of a woman in her 80s who has some severe mobility issues and she was able to work with a travel company that makes arrangements to help with her mobility issue while overseas. She even managed to travel to Tanzania because of them. But eventually ones health can become so impaired even these services can't help, unless of course you had the money to afford a private jet😉.