Ugh...Inside Cabin

INeedAMaiTai

LOVE the ‘real’ butter comment!!!!!!!

i am assuming that was said with full knowledge and all associated connotations. 

Nope, this isn’t about appreciation.  Nowhere, ever, did this person indicate that this was not appreciated.   That assumption is negative, untrue, and unwarranted.  

The problem isn’t the gift/offer. It is the associated control and strings attached.  Those are the things I am seeing here. 

For me, I might say “That is wonderful!!!  But my husband and I just couldn’t accept such a generous offer.  Maybe you could consider some Princess gift certificates to help out with the cost.”  

The fact that any freedom or negotiation does on does not seem possible and has never been mentioned by this poster,   That tells me a lot.  

Sometimes a a gift does come with strings attached.  Sometimes a gift or offer can almost be offensive.  Sometimes when one person is gifted a suite, and the other is offered a closet,  well,  just sayin. 

19 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

For me, I might say “That is wonderful!!!  But my husband and I just couldn’t accept such a generous offer.  Maybe you could consider some Princess gift certificates to help out with the cost.”  

Personally - I would find this rude and I doubt the OP is willing to make up the cost for the difference. They want a better cabin for themselves but I doubt is willing to pay for it.

Let's see -the Mom is willing to pay for the cost for 5 people on a cruise. Very generous. I have never been offered that. Anyway you look at it, the Mom is being generous.

• Like 3

Okay,  this is now what I call Chat Entertainment!!!  So i’ll Bite. 

Of course this offer is generous!  But that is not the issue.  

The ‘offended’ part is the issue.  

It seems that the OP here has been a fairly frequent cruiser.  They have all traveled  together (more than once) before.   The OP says she has not been traveling in an inside cabin for many years.

The OP has not indicated in any way that they could not contribute financially.  

The mother’s dictation of all of these details seems to be the issue.    And yes,  I see “dictation” here. 

I would have a problem with those who dictate details like that and would become all offended that the other person didn’t do and act exactly how “I” tell them to,  or just even “think” they should.   I see absolutely no reason at all why there should be any offense.  Only the “control” thing. 

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Okay,  this is now what I call Chat Entertainment!!!  So i’ll Bite. 

Of course this offer is generous!  But that is not the issue.  

The ‘offended’ part is the issue.  

It seems that the OP here has been a fairly frequent cruiser.  They have all traveled  together (more than once) before.   The OP says she has not been traveling in an inside cabin for many years.

The OP has not indicated in any way that they could not contribute financially.  

The mother’s dictation of all of these details seems to be the issue.    And yes,  I see “dictation” here. 

I would have a problem with those who dictate details like that and would become all offended that the other person didn’t do and act exactly how “I” tell them to,  or just even “think” they should.   I see absolutely no reason at all why there should be any offense.  Only the “control” thing. 

They can refuse to go. Easy. Let the kids have a vacation. They will appreciate it.

I think you are reading more into it with the control issues.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Now that I have licked the REAL butter off of my fingers I can construct my own reasonable reply.... I think there are a couple of ways to build a little more enthusiasm for your cruise.  If it is a port intensive itinerary think about all the money you can spend on excursions. Start researching all the cool things there are to do in each port. Go on the personalizer and put all those excursions on your wish list.  If it has more sea days, wait until after final payment check what's available and see if you can trade up, for a small fee, to a better cabin or book the Sanctuary for you and your husband if there's lots of leisure time.  I think outside cabins are a waste of money because even with the window there is no fresh air and you can't really see much out of the window. 

FWIW some of you all are just plain mean.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 4:31 AM, INeedAMaiTai said:

My mom offered to pay for our trip in the summer of 2021.  She and my three daughters are going to share a mini suite, and my husband and I will be in an inside cabin.  I haven't been in an inside cabin in 15+ years.  I don't normally spend a lot of time in my cabin as it is, but I will miss seeing the sun.  Anyone have any helpful tips to get me more excited about an inside cabin?  I've already put in my Amazon cart those goofy porthole stickers...

Your getting your cabin paid for. Lucky you. Inside cabins are great for sleeping. When you wake up get out of your cabin and stay out of it until you ready to go back to sleep or have a little nap in afternoon. There are plenty of places on the ship to get lots of sunshine. 

You could always upgrade the cabin yourself. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 24639 said:

Now that I have licked the REAL butter off of my fingers I can construct my own reasonable reply.... I think there are a couple of ways to build a little more enthusiasm for your cruise.  If it is a port intensive itinerary think about all the money you can spend on excursions. Start researching all the cool things there are to do in each port. Go on the personalizer and put all those excursions on your wish list.  If it has more sea days, wait until after final payment check what's available and see if you can trade up, for a small fee, to a better cabin or book the Sanctuary for you and your husband if there's lots of leisure time.  I think outside cabins are a waste of money because even with the window there is no fresh air and you can't really see much out of the window. 

FWIW some of you all are just plain mean.

I think some were just shocked that a very kind gesture made by her mother and the first thing the daughter did was moan cause its only an inside cabin. 

I'm about to go on a cruise with my MIL paid for me and my partner in an inside cabin and his sister, her kids and her in a mini suite so we could all celebrate her 70th birthday together in October on Golden Princess. I am beyond excited. Means more money for cocktails, spa, excursions etc.  Her very kind gestured allowed us to also cruise at Xmas as well as we didn't have to pay this time around. 

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

It is also noteworthy after 110 posts, the OP has not been back to defend, comment, or explain.

She doesn't have to "defend" anything and she doesn't owe us any explanation.  She has the right to feel how she feels.  It's great so many of you are blissed out with inside cabins; I personally would be dreading the claustrophobia and would probably tell my mother in this situation, thanks but no -- we'll pay for our own 'cause I want a window.  The OP is actually willing to sail in the inside (unlike me) and she's merely asking for some hints to help make it bearable.  Perhaps all you who are so defensive about your love for insides could help her out instead of attacking her and making wild leaps about her parents' control issues and who knows what all else.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, rdsqrl said:
1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

It is also noteworthy after 110 posts, the OP has not been back to defend, comment, or explain.

She doesn't have to "defend" anything and she doesn't owe us any explanation.  She has the right to feel how she feels.

Fair comment. I stand corrected.  

We took my MIL on many cruises. She insisted we had to be in either a balcony cabin or an ocean view because she would feel claustrophobic in an inside cabin. Then we planned a 47 night cruise around South America where her brother decided to come. They would pay for their cabin and we would pay for ours. Guess what? Now that she had to pay, she looked at the difference in cost between an oceanview and an inside cabin on such a long cruise and decided that an inside would be fine. When she went into the cabin and saw the mirror etc. she said (with a tone of surprise) that it wasn't claustrophobic at all. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelers36 said:

She doesn't have to "defend" anything and she doesn't owe us any explanation.  She has the right to feel how she feels.

I think that is fair enough....

But after looking at the OP profile, to get a bit of back ground.... and see where the person is coming from

Her mum is vision impaired and has some heath issue and sharing the cabin with the OP daughters ( 12, 9 and 6 ) .

I am not making any comments , but it is a different situation, and a free cruise is a free cruise

I hope goes well for them and they have a great time.

Don 

Edited by getting older slowly
spelling
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I think that is fair enough....

But after looking at the OP profile, to get a bit of back ground.... and see where the person is coming from

Her mum is blind and has some heath issue and sharing the cabin with the OP daughters ( 12, 9 and 6 ) .

I am not making any comments , but it is a different situation, and a free cruise is a free cruise

I hope goes well for them and they have a great time.

Don 

Just one thing - you misquoted me, as half of that posted quote was something @rdsqrl posted.  No offense/no issue really - just wanted attribution to be accurate.

My take-away for this thread....

Mom is paying for an inside cabin for daughter and son-in-law. Mom is sharing a mini suite with three grandchildren ( ages 12,9 and 6).

Seems to me the daughter has the better deal. Privacy in a cabin with her hubby.

Mom in a cabin ,although a mini-Suite, with three kids - all siblings. Yikes !

I hope Mom enjoys sharing the space and a bathroom with three girls !

The OP did not seem to me to be complaining about the interior cabin.She was asking for tips as to how to make the cabin more comfortable .

Somehow her request for advice led to a discussion of her being grateful to her mother for wanting to take the family on a cruise.

13 minutes ago, brisalta said:

FEBREEZE is disgusting and its use should be grounds for divorce!

ANY "air freshener" of "odor cover up" type of product is disgusting. Many of us are allergic to perfumes and dryer sheets being used in the neighborhood can keep us inside. Women who use a quart of the "dollar a gallon" perfume should be illegal. When one can actually taste the "perfume" in the air it should be grounds for tossing someone overboard - except that would pollute the ocean. Scented stuff is gross and nasty. Most of it simply smells like petroleum distillates.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

ANY "air freshener" of "odor cover up" type of product is disgusting. Many of us are allergic to perfumes and dryer sheets being used in the neighborhood can keep us inside. Women who use a quart of the "dollar a gallon" perfume should be illegal. When one can actually taste the "perfume" in the air it should be grounds for tossing someone overboard - except that would pollute the ocean. Scented stuff is gross and nasty. Most of it simply smells like petroleum distillates.

I know we are a bit off topic, but may I assume that the Aqua Velva gift set I got you for Christmas is out of the question?

• Haha 2

A nice plus for Inside Cabins is that they are located all over the ship, even on some of the choice decks and locations. For example, consider changing your Inside Cabin to one on the Lido deck. There, you will enjoy direct access to the pools, MUTS, the burger/pizza/ice-cream snack venues, the buffet, the adults only pool, close-by elevator with direct access to the main theater, International Cafe, piazza, and mid-ship main dining rooms. Very convenient.

6 hours ago, TRauppius said:

A nice plus for Inside Cabins is that they are located all over the ship, even on some of the choice decks and locations. For example, consider changing your Inside Cabin to one on the Lido deck. There, you will enjoy direct access to the pools, MUTS, the burger/pizza/ice-cream snack venues, the buffet, the adults only pool, close-by elevator with direct access to the main theater, International Cafe, piazza, and mid-ship main dining rooms. Very convenient.

IMHO it is best to have a stateroom that has as much walking and stairs as possible between it and the dining venues!

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TRauppius said:

that's a solid idea ... but in this case ... i'm thinking the inside will be across the hall from the mini ...

On 10/2/2019 at 1:00 AM, donaldsc said:

My answer was not tongue in cheek.  I meant it.  To me, a free cruise in an inside cabin is not a fantastic offer.  It is a cheap offer.  Perhaps a porthole lower cabin or an obstructed can might be available but if the offer was an inside cabin only, I would decline.

DON

Yikes.