Ugh...Inside Cabin

INeedAMaiTai

Not that I've sailed that many cruises, but, so far, I've only done inside. The way I look at it, I'll take the $$ I save to buy drinks/excursion...etc. We are blessed that we're mobile and can get ocean view whenever we feel like by just walking out :). All in all, inside cabin isn't terrible. I always get GREAT night of sleep there!! And, no sunlight to wake me up so I can sleep in til whenever I naturally wakes up!! It's a vacation after all! Just a thought :)

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 5:11 AM, Sea Hag said:

Some good suggestions here. I'll only add that I hope you put on a happy face with your mom about the inside cabin. 

👍 Put on that happy face and don't even think about paying extra for a balcony cabin. If I was your Mom, I would be a bit offended at that offer. It would imply that you are not happy with her offer.

• Like 3

On 9/24/2019 at 12:27 PM, WallyNDiane said:

I never would pay for a balcony. I have had free upgraded balconies and I did enjoy sleeping with the door open. That was enjoyable, However after 10 cruises, we have found that we are only in our room to sleep. We always find outdoor areas (other than the pool area) to kick back and relax.

We get up early typically around 6 am and go to bed around 11 pm. We are on the go the rest of the day and only use our rooms for BR breaks, showers and changing our clothes.

I go for the sun too, but not from a balcony. So just search out the ship for some happy places. I always have one for reading, pool areas, bright lounges, one for people watching, one for napping. 

We just booked a 14 day cruise. We booked an inside cabin. Our freinds are going with us and one is a bit claustrophobic and needs a balcony. They paid just a bit more than double than what we paid. Now they enjoy sleeping in and hanging out in their room. To them the balcony cost is worth it. 

So be on the look out for some outdoor or bright happy spots. They are out there, all you need to do is find them.

You do know that you are not supposed to leave the balcony door open as it messes up the air conditioning for all the cabins near you.

In answer to the question posted by the OP, you could always tell your Mom that you have a prior engagement and are not coming.  She may not like it but her offer off an inside is hardly a reasonable offer.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2019 at 2:31 PM, INeedAMaiTai said:

My mom offered to pay for our trip in the summer of 2021.  She and my three daughters are going to share a mini suite, and my husband and I will be in an inside cabin.  I haven't been in an inside cabin in 15+ years.  I don't normally spend a lot of time in my cabin as it is, but I will miss seeing the sun.  Anyone have any helpful tips to get me more excited about an inside cabin?  I've already put in my Amazon cart those goofy porthole stickers...

Decline the trip.

Problem solved.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sorry, but you guys can judge all you want.  Everyone has their opinion.  The OP can decide for herself whether an inside is appropriate for her.  I know I might have an issue wth it.  And, I am not THAT claustrophobic.

But, if anyone were to dictate "Inside Cabin only", without any other options for the person to upgrade a bit.....  that tells me a lot more about that person than the OP.   It is easy to tell here who 'those' parents / inlaws are.

If the OP is the primary and adult occupant on the cabin, it doesn't make any difference to Princess whose credit card number was used, the OP would clearly be free to pay for a bit of an upgrade.  

OP,  whether you feel like you can upgrade to an OV, or obstructed balcony, for balcony, or not....  I hope you enjoy your cruise!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

I have cruised  11 times with my first 4 being inside . I truly enjoy a balcony.  I enjoyed those first 4 cruises just as much as those with a balcony. Quit stressing on the inside issue and get excited about a trip of a lifetime with your family. 

• Like 1

First of all, that’s awesome you get a free cruise!!!!!! 😬 Secondly, if you can’t have a balcony, second best is either being close to a public deck or having a family member with a balcony, which you’ll have. 👍 I grew up on Inside staterooms, and our early cruising years were spent in them as adults. They’re not bad. You actually sleep better because it’s so dark. The wall being a mirror makes the space feel bigger. You just spend less time in your stateroom. I think you’ll be fine. 

Hello,

I was on the Emerald a few years ago to Alaska. We had a room with a window. We got the call to upgrade, we did ($200) . Most of the time it rained , so we sat on the balcony for probably a total of two hours. The rest of the time we had better views of the glaciers on the top decks, You take coffee and dress warm and enjoy a panoramic view , You dont get that on a balcony. Most of the time sitting on the open decks, most people are very polite and keep to them selves. To me no need to pay for it. I would go and enjoy Use the money to go on excursions . Alaska has some great ones. 

On 9/28/2019 at 9:56 AM, Wishing on a star said:

Sorry, but you guys can judge all you want.  Everyone has their opinion.  The OP can decide for herself whether an inside is appropriate for her.  I know I might have an issue wth it.  And, I am not THAT claustrophobic.

But, if anyone were to dictate "Inside Cabin only", without any other options for the person to upgrade a bit.....  that tells me a lot more about that person than the OP.   It is easy to tell here who 'those' parents / inlaws are.

If the OP is the primary and adult occupant on the cabin, it doesn't make any difference to Princess whose credit card number was used, the OP would clearly be free to pay for a bit of an upgrade.  

OP,  whether you feel like you can upgrade to an OV, or obstructed balcony, for balcony, or not....  I hope you enjoy your cruise!!!

I know hundreds of friends who would love to go on a cruise, even in an inside cabin.

Cruising is a luxury. We take it for granted here as many of us have cruised several times, maybe dozens of times. In reality - this is not an option for many. I have cruised in everything from insides to suites. I would be thankful if someone offered to take me and my family on a cruise and pay for it, even if it is an inside. And I have cruised dozens of times. The mother is being quite generous even if the daughter doesn't understand it.

• Like 6

I dont spend much time in the cabin so inside is fine with me.  You can sleep in on sea days.

I do prefer balconies for scenic cruising like New Zealand and Panama Canal.

I do  book nightly specialty dining and nice excursions though.

Edited by NMTraveller

It depends on the ship and lots of other stuff, I am going on the Rhapsody and they do not have many balcony cabins we booked an inside and saved quite a bit.  After final payment is due you can see about an upgrade if you want, at least you will have an outside balcony you will be able to use.

My parents took me on my first cruise in 2004 (or 2005). In an inside cabin. Many more followed,  mostly insides. More recently balconies. Both are gone now.  I would happily climb that ladder in the dark for another cruise with them. Even though I am closer to 60 than 50.

• Like 5

On 9/27/2019 at 11:01 PM, Aus Traveller said:

I agree. Wow. Maybe the comment was meant 'tongue in cheek'. I hope so. 🙂 Any offer of a free cruise is a fantastic offer.

My answer was not tongue in cheek.  I meant it.  To me, a free cruise in an inside cabin is not a fantastic offer.  It is a cheap offer.  Perhaps a porthole lower cabin or an obstructed can might be available but if the offer was an inside cabin only, I would decline.

DON

• Like 2

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

My answer was not tongue in cheek.  I meant it.  To me, a free cruise in an inside cabin is not a fantastic offer.  It is a cheap offer.  Perhaps a porthole lower cabin or an obstructed can might be available but if the offer was an inside cabin only, I would decline.

DON

Bless your heart.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Whoa!  Some topics really bring out the "best" in people.  Who are we to know another persons mindset, why they think something or to say what we think is right?  Being judge and jury because someone likes or doesn't like an inside cabin, or inside cabins is being cheap, how do you know?  Maybe it is a financial issue, wants to do the cruise and this is what they can afford.

I sail single, pay double, being older sail for itinerary, many times in an inside cabin.   Spending $5,000 for a 30 day cruise, versus 10 grand or more is doable.  My choice, my business, no one else.  These overly critical remarks about people choosing inside cabins or not wanting to sail in one, I don't get.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

WHAT??!!! You forgot to include your usual grumpy instruction to Google something. You are slipping dude.

• Haha 1

Coral, me again.  This is NOT about whether this mother’s offer is generous. Of course it is.  This is about whether it is appropriate for this person. (What is appropriate for that person and being hesitant to sail “in a closet”  would not be unreasonable). If this person feels that they are not welcome to arrange and pay for a slight upgrade, ( note the IF )then this is all  about the gifter’s control issues. That is what I am calling out here.

As for all the judgemental negativity here,  the other poster above is right.  These people are out there.  In the words of the famous pop song,  “...all the haters gonna hate hate hate...   shake it off,  hey hey hey... shake it off....

We have been on many cruises over the last 30 years and have always had either an inside or window. While I like having a window, it is just as much fun to have an inside. We take tea lights to have in the bathroom as a nightlight and book a room near an outdoor area like the promenade deck or Horizon Terrace. I would love to have a balcony some time but the cost is usually at least twice what we pay and I'd rather double my cruise days!

• Like 1