Ugh...Inside Cabin

INeedAMaiTai

12 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

A comedian on a recent Princess cruise  joked that an cabin is like “sleeping in a coffin with a toilet.”

Sounds like the same kind of lousy comedian who makes the tired jokes about the size of the shower or the suction toilet. Glad I wasn't there to hear his "comedy".

Depends on where you are cruising to but I would have to say out 30 cruises I booked an inside cabin on 65% of them.  We are never ever in our cabin at all and really enjoy having the darkness to sleep.  The inside cabins are cooler if you are cruising south. You are getting free cruise and to be just being on this is awesome.  

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 12:35 PM, Wishing on a star said:

Nope, this isn’t about appreciation.  Nowhere, ever, did this person indicate that this was not appreciated.   That assumption is negative, untrue, and unwarranted.  

The problem isn’t the gift/offer. It is the associated control and strings attached.  Those are the things I am seeing here.

To be very fair, Nowhere, ever did the OP  ever say anything about associated control or strings attached.  If you are seeing those things, they are in your own mind.  I just re read the OPs post, and do not see any such thing.

As I had mentioned,  I will continue to bite, as I am looking at this as Chat Entertainament now!!!

It is true that the OP did not actually actually mention these things...   But, she doesn't have to.

Just as she doesn't have to come back here and try to explain or defend her feelings about what I had always described to my husband as 'sailing in a closet'.

Why should she?  Why should she subject herself to the disrespect and personal attacks and haters here?

Would anybody here actually have expected her to come on here and post  "How do I handle my controlling mother and her expectations that myself and my DH sail in an inside."   Of course she is not going to do that!!!!   Are you kidding?  Look at what happened when she just mentioned how to get more excited and for tips for sailing inside.

The facts and information here speak for themselves.

Sometimes things are easy to see once you have become familiar with them.  It is not always just in one's mind.

But, "all the haters still gonna hate, hate, hate...."

Such is social media.

I can also say, on another note, that never, ever, in a million years, would I leave my kids, if the youngest is anywhere near the age mentioned, with a blind and disabled and maybe elderly(?) person, without being in an adjoining cabin.  Would never happen.

Ten thousand haters here who might disagree with that and try to personally attack and judge would not change that.

To those who are ELITE (nose in air) partly because they choose to sail in inside cabins, then I am not going to offer any opinion or judgement on that.  That is their choice.  You do you.... But, somehow, what others might be comfortable with, and their choices, are cause to be tried, convicted, and told to walk the plank.  It is very very SAD, really.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Haha 1

We have sailed in an inside, balcony and mini suite.  I am generally a claustrophobic person.  I was pleasantly surprised that I never felt claustrophobic in the inside cabin.  I slept well and it encouraged me to get up early and out on deck.  It was nice and quiet and dark, so great for sleeping or a nap. FYI bring some shampoo and soap for your Mom and kids to use in the mini suite.  The mini suite we were in had the soap and shampoo dispenser attached to the wall of the tub up high and it was impossible to use the products from in the tub.  Enjoy your cruise and your time with your family!  

Due to recent financial obligations (and two major appliances that decided to die), I might have to change my minisuite to an inside cabin for our upcoming cruise. While not thrilled, I will make it work and enjoy my cruise regardless. I appreciate the tips above. 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 4:19 PM, Thrak said:

Doesn't Yellow Fish (Pescado Amarillo) always sail in inside cabins? She and G spend months at sea each year and I'm pretty sure they always sail in an inside cabin.

I'd have to look it up, but I am sure they had an OV on the PA for one extended South Pacific cruise - either because the price was great or they got an upgrade/upsell that was good.  We always book Inside unless there is a deal on a Balcony for some reason that makes it an offer we can't refuse. 

Edited by steelers36

On 9/24/2019 at 11:31 AM, INeedAMaiTai said:

My mom offered to pay for our trip in the summer of 2021.  She and my three daughters are going to share a mini suite, and my husband and I will be in an inside cabin.  I haven't been in an inside cabin in 15+ years.  I don't normally spend a lot of time in my cabin as it is, but I will miss seeing the sun.  Anyone have any helpful tips to get me more excited about an inside cabin?  I've already put in my Amazon cart those goofy porthole stickers...

Nice to get a free cruise 👍👍
How about offering to pay your mom the difference from an Inside cabin to OV or Balcony?  
Or, inform Princess or your TA, you are willing to take an Upsell offer.   There are promotions going on now.

Or, you can leave the TV in your inside cabin to the Bridge Cam channel.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

Since this is back on page one. Just out of curiosity I looked at some fares for a one week cruise next Spring.  The difference for an adjoining balcony would be about 700.00.  I would be happy to offer to pay that for a cruise with a double wide balcony and an adjoining door for traveling together!

On 10/1/2019 at 10:00 PM, donaldsc said:

My answer was not tongue in cheek.  I meant it.  To me, a free cruise in an inside cabin is not a fantastic offer.  It is a cheap offer.  Perhaps a porthole lower cabin or an obstructed can might be available but if the offer was an inside cabin only, I would decline.

DON

Perhaps for someone in your economic group an inside cabin is "not a fantastic offer" but it might be for someone in the same economic group as the person who made the offer.

Tom

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Perhaps for someone in your economic group an inside cabin is "not a fantastic offer" but it might be for someone in the same economic group as the person who made the offer.

Tom

True, but even though we can afford to cruise over 300+ days for the last few years, I still feel like it is rude to refuse a free cruise offer.  If you are offered a gift and think it is not good enough for you..............I don't know what to say about that.  I can't even imagine that in my head because I place value on the "thought" of the gift more than the gift itself.   I appreciate homemade cookies as much as I appreciate expensive jewelry......more so really!

If I offered my kids this deal and they turned their nose up at it, I would happily remove the offer from the table and go on the cruise without them.  And, I would make sure to never offer them anything like this again.  After all, the mom is offering to take 4 people on a cruise!

Either way, after rereading the OP, her question was how to make it better, not if she should upgrade or refuse.  Others took it that direction.  I am sure she will go and have fun with her family.  Memories of the time together is much more valuable than having a balcony!!  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Level six said:

True, but even though we can afford to cruise over 300+ days for the last few years, I still feel like it is rude to refuse a free cruise offer.  If you are offered a gift and think it is not good enough for you..............I don't know what to say about that.  I can't even imagine that in my head because I place value on the "thought" of the gift more than the gift itself.   I appreciate homemade cookies as much as I appreciate expensive jewelry......more so really!

If I offered my kids this deal and they turned their nose up at it, I would happily remove the offer from the table and go on the cruise without them.  And, I would make sure to never offer them anything like this again.  After all, the mom is offering to take 4 people on a cruise!

Either way, after rereading the OP, her question was how to make it better, not if she should upgrade or refuse.  Others took it that direction.  I am sure she will go and have fun with her family.  Memories of the time together is much more valuable than having a balcony!!  

I was not commenting on whether it was rude or not to refuse the offer of the cruise but on the comment of the poster who stated that it was a "cheap offer". A gift is a gift and, to my way of thinking, is independent of the cost associated with the gift and should be viewed in relation to the intent of the giver. That's just the way I was brought up.  I also agree with your interpretation of what the OP was asking.

Tom

• Like 1

We were on a AK cruise out of Seattle and invited our DS, his DW and DD along.  We had a mini and we had him in an inside just across the hall.  It seems like everytime we came back to the room they were on our balcony enjoying the scenery.  Obviously we had given them a key so it was not any big surprise.  We all had a great time and plan to take them along again. 

Edited by satxdiver

5 hours ago, Level six said:

Well said. 👍

OP indicated that the inside cabin is across from the balcony cabin. I suspect the thought was to keep the cabins near each other.

Any suggestions of somehow moving to another cabin means the two cabins may not be close to each other. Could even be on different decks or opposite sides of the original deck.

I have had many concerns about booking inside cabins but just booked our first one for a cruise next year.  The information on these boards has convinced me after 24 cruises  to give it a shot. Trying to keep an open mind.

Edited by Musky Ike
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

I have had many concerns about booking inside cabins but just booked our first one for a cruise next year.  The information on these boards has convinced me after 24 cruises  to give it a shot. Trying to keep an open mind.

I was in an inside cabin for 14 days on the Sapphire Princess (Baltic Cruise) in May. I was on the Lido (pool) deck and absolutely loved my cabin, service and location. Easy access to grab a drink or some food and  just a few steps to the outside deck for better-than-balcony views when we were cruising or in port.

• Like 1

I don't mind the inside cabin. I am rarely in the cabin. I sleep, shower, and dress in the room. I am up early and at the  gym  and exercise  classes.  When I walk up and down the stairs I stop at my cabin to use the bathroom.Otherwise I am busy throughout the ship.

I have liked the cabins when the bed faces  the desk with the mirror above it.  Behind the bed is a big wall mirror. So when you face the desk mirror it makes the room seem to go into infinity.

Sali

• Like 1