Ugh...Inside Cabin

INeedAMaiTai

My mom offered to pay for our trip in the summer of 2021.  She and my three daughters are going to share a mini suite, and my husband and I will be in an inside cabin.  I haven't been in an inside cabin in 15+ years.  I don't normally spend a lot of time in my cabin as it is, but I will miss seeing the sun.  Anyone have any helpful tips to get me more excited about an inside cabin?  I've already put in my Amazon cart those goofy porthole stickers...

• Like 2

Enjoy your free cruise. I would gladly sail for free in an inside cabin. If you have a problem with waking up and not knowing if it's day or night just leave the TV tuned to the bridge cam. It will be dark at night and gradually get lighter when the sun comes up. This is truly a horrible first world problem.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

to recap

Mom paying for both cabins

Mom keeping the kids in her cabin

You and your husband will have own separate cabin, bed and shower ... maybe ...

best babysitter in the world during the day/night/cruise

missing a little sunshine ... priceless ...:classic_love:

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Just be glad you're one of two people in an inside cabin instead of one of four people in a mini-suite. You will have more room for storage and more time in the bathroom than your mother and daughters. Try to get an inside cabin across the hall from their mini-suite. Most of your in-cabin time will be in their mini-suite and balcony anyway, but you can escape to your own cabin (and bathroom) for privacy when you want. I would definitely rather be in an inside cabin for two than in a mini-suite for four.

• Like 6

I never would pay for a balcony. I have had free upgraded balconies and I did enjoy sleeping with the door open. That was enjoyable, However after 10 cruises, we have found that we are only in our room to sleep. We always find outdoor areas (other than the pool area) to kick back and relax.

We get up early typically around 6 am and go to bed around 11 pm. We are on the go the rest of the day and only use our rooms for BR breaks, showers and changing our clothes.

I go for the sun too, but not from a balcony. So just search out the ship for some happy places. I always have one for reading, pool areas, bright lounges, one for people watching, one for napping. 

We just booked a 14 day cruise. We booked an inside cabin. Our freinds are going with us and one is a bit claustrophobic and needs a balcony. They paid just a bit more than double than what we paid. Now they enjoy sleeping in and hanging out in their room. To them the balcony cost is worth it. 

So be on the look out for some outdoor or bright happy spots. They are out there, all you need to do is find them.

• Like 2

Positives:

You get to sleep more easily - no annoying sun

Room Service tastes the same

Showers are the same size

You don't spend much time there

Only a little ways to outside decks

You get to say: "We normally book suites... but, for Mom, we took the inside."

Your bank account will have more in it.

Bring some FEBREZE to cover for the Hubby, of course.

• Like 2

Hi, 

Inside cabins honestly are not too bad. I recently did a 12-day British Isles cruise on the Crown Princess (September 10-22, 2019) in an inside cabin on Riviera Deck forward. The stateroom was conveniently located (only one deck below the Lido Deck and Horizon Court) and very quiet. I decided to apply the money that I saved by booking an inside stateroom to shore excursions in nine different ports. I had a great time on this cruise!

Chuck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seriously?? Be thankful that your Mom is giving you this fabulous gift. You and your husband get time alone on a cruise while she takes the kids. Use the room for sleeping or whatever and spend some adult time with your husband. And perhaps treat her to a fabulous dinner. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would not say I am claustrophobic, but I am one of those who don’t think I could “sail in a closet”.  Your mom is making a wonderful gesture!!!!    But maybe you could accept the fare for the cheapest inside and book a balcony or obstructed balcony. 

I guess to me A gift should come without too many strings attached.   If you really want or need this to be a free cruise then make do with the inside and enjoy!!!

On our last cruise we booked a sideways inside to check out that type of cabin. It actually seemed to have more space due to the configuration. We would have no problem sailing in a cabin of that sort again. If we were to book on Royal or Regal - which have tiny balconies and no OV cabins - we would almost certainly book an inside cabin. I've had balcony cabins and looked out over other balconies and have been surprised at how often they are empty. I don't think most folks use their balcony nearly as much as they think they might when booking. Often it's too darn hot and muggy or cold and windy to enjoy the balcony. I do love the light and we do use the balcony but not a lot. (I know some folks use their balconies quite a bit but I think most don't.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, INeedAMaiTai said:

My mom offered to pay for our trip in the summer of 2021.  She and my three daughters are going to share a mini suite, and my husband and I will be in an inside cabin.  I haven't been in an inside cabin in 15+ years.  I don't normally spend a lot of time in my cabin as it is, but I will miss seeing the sun.  Anyone have any helpful tips to get me more excited about an inside cabin?  I've already put in my Amazon cart those goofy porthole stickers...

We always book Inside.  Unless I can get a bargain on a Balcony (such as for about the same price).  I'd either gladly accept the free cabin or ask my parents if I could book a Balcony and they could gift me the difference or make the equivalent payment on my booking that would cover the Balcony and then I pay the difference.

PS - I would be feeling really badly that my mother would have to share her space with THREE kids.  IMO, four in a cabin is too much.  I'd be booking another INSIDE for two of the kids if I could.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 2

I'm currently in an inside cabin on the Crown. It's not too bad. We will be on for 16 nights. The worst part of our cabin is the third and fourth bunks against the wall narrowing the space we have to walk. So far, neither one of us has bumped our head getting out of bed. We were booked as a guarantee, and this cabin is considered an upgrade since it's closer to the center of the ship. With the rocking and rolling we've had since last night, I guess we were lucky to get the upgrade and not be stuck in one of the forward inside cabins.