ANYONE BRING A TRAVEL IRON?

victory2020

I miss the ships that have a laundry room with irons and washers and dryers.    There are some items that I like to wash in the machine but hang dry in my cabin in the shower area (cottons that shrink).   For an upcoming cruise I am bringing the spray that's supposed to eliminate the wrinkles.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.  

(On a cruise a few weeks ago my husband sent out a clean shirt for pressing and it cost $3.50 so I don't want to have to pay for all our clothing to be pressed on the cruise next week.)

The last time we cruised with NCL they brought an iron to our cabin for a couple of hours and we called when we were finished and they came and picked it up.  HAL do  not provide that service.

Edited by mexico8
addition
  • Like 1

Before I knew the rules, I tried to bring an iron. It got confiscated going through the security checkpoint. You should’ve seen the looks and heard the lecture I got from Security personnel. You would’ve thought I was trying to smuggle suitcases full of cocaine. Needless to say, I learned the rules and my lesson. Have never even attempted to do so since. 

• Like 1

Yes they watch quite well........they even stopped our luggage from coming to room for odd shaped item that turned out to be my curling iron........called me down to security and asked me if i had “contraband” and I said “no” but was getting concerned and wondering what had been put in my luggage........had me to sign form in front of camera that the luggage was mine and then got me to open the bag and all the while by BP was getting worked up and then I move my pajamas and they see it is my curling iron !!!    When I took pocession of my luggage the security form had a statement about a barrel type weapon looking object.......so yes they will see it.......and they will get it

• Like 1

On our last cruise, I got called down to the "room" too for a small travel iron,  along with those trying to bring extra booze on the ship.  The ship person wasn't loud or trying to embarrass, just doing her job.  Just taught me to more carefully  think about what I want to wear on cruises.   A few wrinkles don't matter.   I miss the laundry too.  

• Like 2

In the past, I've managed to board with no issues with a steamer.  But, that said, I've never actually had to use the steamer.  I've found that hanging any wrinkly fabric items in the bathroom while the shower is running removes the wrinkles.  So I now leave the steamer at home.

• Like 1

I miss the self-service laundry too, as I wash most of my "cruise clothes" in cold water gentle cycle and hang to dry.  On another thread, I was pleased to learn that HAL will honor written laundry instructions, including those that ask for the clothes to return to the cabin wet.  Now, I'm trying to figure out how to hang our clothesline in the cabin.  My husband hung it a couple of times on two different ships, which, at that time, had self-service laundry rooms.  (DH died two years ago.  I never appreciated how much I depended on him to figure out stuff such as the best way to hang a clothesline without damaging anything in the cabin.)  

As for wrinkled clothes, during the last cruise, I sent our formal wear to the laundry for steaming because my son's tux and my long skirt were so horribly crinkled as to render both garments unwearable.  I thought I would be charged, but the laundry said I was 4*.  I did not realize I receive free steaming and pressing too.  Nice deal.

• Like 2

This is on the prohibited items list in the FAQ on their website:

Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.

The Know Before You Go document says this in two different places:

For safety reasons, travel irons, and electric water heaters/ kettles may not be used in your stateroom.

The full list of prohibited items is on the Safety and Security section of their FAQ:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.html

This prohibition on items with heating elements that could cause a fire is not unique to HAL.

We took a European trip that was going to be 2 months, with a cruise at the beginning.  I had a travel iron for long term - labeled it with my room number knowing it would be confiscated, because I needed it after the cruise.  They didn't see it in their machines.  I had it in my full possession for the cruise.  Didn't use it, of course, because the issue of fire on a ship is BIG.

And I admit, the more I travel, the less I obsess over wrinkles.  I can tolerate them - because wearing them, I don't see them.  And anyone who wants to judge me on the basis of wrinkles....well, that's their problem.

Sloppy Barbara

• Like 3

21 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

I miss the self-service laundry too, as I wash most of my "cruise clothes" in cold water gentle cycle and hang to dry.  On another thread, I was pleased to learn that HAL will honor written laundry instructions, including those that ask for the clothes to return to the cabin wet.  Now, I'm trying to figure out how to hang our clothesline in the cabin.  My husband hung it a couple of times on two different ships, which, at that time, had self-service laundry rooms.  (DH died two years ago.  I never appreciated how much I depended on him to figure out stuff such as the best way to hang a clothesline without damaging anything in the cabin.)  

As for wrinkled clothes, during the last cruise, I sent our formal wear to the laundry for steaming because my son's tux and my long skirt were so horribly crinkled as to render both garments unwearable.  I thought I would be charged, but the laundry said I was 4*.  I did not realize I receive free steaming and pressing too.  Nice deal.

Most ships I have been on have a clothesline in the shower (from wall to wall).   You pull it out and there is a slot at the other side to fasten it.   Helps to have clothespins to keep the items from sliding into the centre.

I believe as 4* you also have free laundry and dry cleaning as well as the pressing.

2 hours ago, mexico8 said:

Most ships I have been on have a clothesline in the shower (from wall to wall).   You pull it out and there is a slot at the other side to fasten it.   Helps to have clothespins to keep the items from sliding into the centre.

I believe as 4* you also have free laundry and dry cleaning as well as the pressing.

Laundry and pressing but not dry cleaning.

Roy 

On 10/11/2019 at 3:33 PM, victory2020 said:

Sorry to all who got mad & scolded me - did not realize it was so illegal. Don't want to break the rules & didn't see it anywhere on the website, that's why I asked.

Gotta love Cruise Critic....where you'll get your answer but not without a scolding and being accused of wanting to intentionally break the rules. 😉

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mexico8 said:

Yes, I've used that clothesline many times.  Clothesline in shower works well for a bathing suit or two.  I'm talking about multiple shirts (10 or more) that have never been in a dryer.  On our 14-day Alaska cruise, DH strung a clothesline across the cabin after I washed the shirts in the ship's self-service laundry.  We hung about a dozen shirts and almost all of my delicates which dried quickly because the heat was on in the cabin (temps outside were in the lower 50s).  It worked well, and I made sure the stewards had already serviced the cabin for the morning before hanging anything.  I had all the laundry folded and put up by the time the steward came for turn-down service in the evening.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:31 AM, RuthC said:

If someone does bring one, I hope it is confiscated. I don't want to be on a ship where someone has put me in danger because they simply MUST violate the rules for their own benefit. 

I would be more concerned about the newer flat irons that use more power than a travel iron. And yes, girls leave them plugged in!