Switching Cabins without consent of parents if a minor is in the room?

Howie411

So bare with me here.  Going on a family cruise and we have 2 rooms in a row.  My wife and I are in 1 and my sister and my 5 year old daughter are in the room next to us.   My sister is being a PITA and wants a friend to come now so is trying to move there room so they can accommodate a 3rd person.   I told her there is no way we are letting our 5 year old daughter stay in a room on another deck.   As the parents of a minor in the other room can I have RC stop the move if she tries to go over our heads?

In this case the person in the room over 21 is the "responsible" adult for the child, so I can't imagine Royal doing anything that would allow you to prevent changes your sister makes to your sister's reservation. That reservation is owned by your sister so any changes that are or are not made are up to her.

Your options are to either work it out with her pre-cruise, or get a 3 occupancy cabin yourself and let her friend take the place of your daughter in her reservation.

16 minutes ago, Howie411 said:

So bare with me here.  Going on a family cruise and we have 2 rooms in a row.  My wife and I are in 1 and my sister and my 5 year old daughter are in the room next to us.   My sister is being a PITA and wants a friend to come now so is trying to move there room so they can accommodate a 3rd person.   I told her there is no way we are letting our 5 year old daughter stay in a room on another deck.   As the parents of a minor in the other room can I have RC stop the move if she tries to go over our heads?

No, I wouldn’t want my 5 year old on another deck.  But, I also wouldn’t want a random 3rd person in the room with her, either. Even on the same deck, 

Best solution would be for you to change to a triple occupancy cabin, with your wife and 5 year old.    Let your sister have her current cabin with the friend.   

Edited by BSocial
Typo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Howie411 said:

So you get the triple cabin and you move

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

So you couldn't book a triple occupancy cabin to accommodate her?

So we had 3 cabins in a row.  My parents, my wife and I,  my sister and my daughter.  They are all Balcony rooms and we wanted it like that to be able to open the outside doors like we had done in the past.   When we booked the cruise almost 2 years ago it was cheaper to have 2 people in each room instead of 3 in 1 and 1 person in another.

Edited by Howie411

7 minutes ago, Howie411 said:

So we had 3 cabins in a row.  My parents, my wife and I,  my sister and my daughter.  They are all Balcony rooms and we wanted it like that to be able to open the outside doors like we had done in the past.   When we booked the cruise almost 2 years ago it was cheaper to have 2 people in each room instead of 3 in 1 and 1 person in another.

oh, that makes sense. 

any chance you could keep the cabin next to you?  Maybe move your wife in with your daughter.   You’d have to pay for a solo in one, but would still have 3 in a row with your parents.  

Your sister would be free to book a new cabin on the ship with a friend.    

good luck. 

I don't envy the OP here. Even if he gets a cabin for 3, he has to move away from his parents' location. Probably at higher cost. I suggest family counseling because there is no solution that works to eliminate some bitterness somewhere.

It is a shame that sister doesn't see the upheaval she is causing.

• Like 5

You could also let your sister change rooms, she can absorb the additional cost, and you keep two rooms side by side with the grandparents and let your daughter sleep on the couch in your room.  Unless she's a giant, she'll fit just fine, and your room steward can make it up into a bed for her every night.  

She'll probably have a different muster station than you and the grands, but other than that, no different than being in a triple occupancy room with her.  

• Like 1

Who is paying for the three cabins?

Tell the sister that her friend has to book a solo cabin - the cheapest inside guarantee that the friend can get. Once onboard, the friend can move in with the sister.

Your child can bunk with them or with you. If you still feel that your 5-year-old is too precious to sleep on a sofa, then you become the PITA.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

You could also let your sister change rooms, she can absorb the additional cost, and you keep two rooms side by side with the grandparents and let your daughter sleep on the couch in your room.  Unless she's a giant, she'll fit just fine, and your room steward can make it up into a bed for her every night.  

She'll probably have a different muster station than you and the grands, but other than that, no different than being in a triple occupancy room with her.  

I don't think they'll let you put a 3rd person in a cabin for 2.  Seems the problem in this scenario is that all 3 cabins are double occupancy only.  If any of them was a triple occupancy cabin, then no big deal.  

Probably the best solution is for the parents to move to a triple occupancy cabin and see if they can 3 cabins near each other, even if on a new deck.  Isn't "family drama" wonderful!  😏

Edited by papaflamingo

I see the issue here but I also don’t think your sister should have to give up having someone to hang out with because it’s what’s best for you. Any chance you can talk her into bringing 2 friends so that they can bunk together and nobody else’s reservations need to be messed with?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Howie411 said:

Most important Question here is who is paying and who owns the booking? 

You can´t really expect to let RCI resolve your Family issues. 

If your sister owns the booking of her cabin and is trying to move to a different Location, there´s no reason for RCI to stop her.

If you (understandably) don´t want your kid be in her room under These circumstances, it´s up to you to do something About this and move your kid into your room. Really this is your Problem, not RCI´s and only part of your Sisters.

• Like 2

I think the best solution is to change your own cabin to one that accommodates 3. Remove your daughter from the other reservation, and let your sister either pay the single supplement or find a reliable friend to jump in and pay the second person charge in her own room.

Edited by marci22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marci22 said:

I think the best solution is to change your own cabin to one that accommodates 3. Remove your daughter from the other reservation, and let your sister either pay the single supplement or find a reliable friend to jump in and pay the second person charge in her own room.

29 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Just have the daughter sleep in your room on the fold out couch regardless of what room she is assigned in. 

If cabin is not designated as a 3 person cabin you can’t do this - might not even have a couch. Cabin has to be for 3 people.