Equinox smoke on balcony

pilot

We had cabin 9131, which is located forward portside.  The smoking area is below on deck 5. The smoke smell was pretty strong both at sea and in port, depending on wind direction. 

Will not be booking this area in the future. 

For some reason I was remembering that the only smoking area on Equinox was on 14 port side, aft, outside the Oceanview Bar. Did your stateroom attendant or security check to see the source of the smoking? I have to wonder if it was coming from an adjoining stateroom balcony?

I think you may be thinking of an M Class ship.  On the S Class (which Equinox is) smoking is permitted on deck 5, midship, port side and on deck 14, Mast Bar, starboard side and Sunset Bar, deck 14 aft port side.  The deck 5 location can change from port side to starboard if a fueling barge is on the port side.

That cabin is quite a way forward of the mid-shipSmoking section & 4 decks up.  If you were smelling smoke when the ship was moving then it would have had to be coming from a balcony near you.  Even when docked we have never smelled smoke when on on a balcony, except when the people in the next cabin de died to smoke on the balcony.  Security quickly took care of that problem.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I think you may be thinking of an M Class ship.  On the S Class (which Equinox is) smoking is permitted on deck 5, midship, port side and on deck 14, Mast Bar, starboard side and Sunset Bar, deck 14 aft port side.  The deck 5 location can change from port side to starboard if a fueling barge is on the port side.

I haven't yet been on the M class, but will be next year on Summit. And it's been several years since we were on Equinox and I just recalled the smoking area being at the port aft of the ship on 14. Not being a smoker I never sought out other areas of the ship. Oddly enough, I did research through Celebrity an hour or so ago and could NOT find where they actually say there is smoking permitted on the ships, only where it is NOT permitted. I just find it odd that smoking might make it from 5 to deck 9, thus my question.

We were in concierge cabin 9237 on equinox in August.  It is a nice cabin on the slant with a huge balcony. It was also directly above one of the  the smoking areas.  On port days the smoke smell was extremely unpleasant.  

Edited by mrsg00fy
Indicate there was more than one smoking area.

Also avoid cabin port side aft, below the sunset bar grass area.  We had a still lit cigarette land on one of our balcony chairs and burnt a hole.  Dangerous practice smoking on cruise ships, people don't obey rules . Soon or later we will hearing of a tragedy at sea.

On 10/13/2019 at 4:05 PM, helen haywood said:

I've never experienced the Deck 5 smoking location switching to the starboard side during refueling.  The Port side smoking is certainly closed, as I remember it smokers are directed to the Mast Bar smoking location.  Perhaps some smokers unofficially changed the location but I think a call to Security would remedy that issue.

34 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I've never experienced the Deck 5 smoking location switching to the starboard side during refueling.  The Port side smoking is certainly closed, as I remember it smokers are directed to the Mast Bar smoking location.  Perhaps some smokers unofficially changed the location but I think a call to Security would remedy that issue.

It occurs rarely, still best to book Starboard

Edited by dkjretired

On 10/13/2019 at 3:25 PM, pilot said:

We had cabin 9131, which is located forward portside.  The smoking area is below on deck 5. The smoke smell was pretty strong both at sea and in port, depending on wind direction. 

Will not be booking this area in the future. 

It is likely someone in your area was smoking on their balcony

We did B2B in Sept and on deck 11 on the bump out for first leg and on deck 9 second leg

I definitely smelled cigarette smoke multiple times in both locations. Pretty certain it was the cabin next to us on deck 11, and on deck 9 it was more faint--so further away.