Would You Trans-Atlantic Again?

10 minutes ago, need2cruisesoon said:

On my bucket list just have to get the DW onboard.....

Give me your favorite all time trans-atlantic with stops and if Eastbound or Westbound?

Thanks, Need2Cruise

Have done 2 TAs.  Westbound and Eastbound.  I prefer the westbound (it's much easier to do the 6 one hour time changes adding that hour every night than taking away an hour every night).

Westbound TA - Barcelona, Gibraltar, Madeira, St Maarten, Tortola, Castaway Cay, Port Canaveral.

Eastbound - Port Canaveral, Boston, Sydney Nova Scotia, Dublin, Liverpool, Dover.

Would another in a heartbeat (as long as the price is right).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Both.  But, typically, we prefer booking cruises that go to ports we haven't been to yet.

I like sea days, hubby likes ports.  

Our two TAs, IIRC, the ports weren't very exciting.

Just now, Shmoo here said:

What were your ports?

I don't even remember.  It's been about 15 years ago.  We were east to west so east were islands and Morocco.  West were Brazilian ones (can't remember the other).  It wasn't bad but we're port-oriented so we'd never do a TA/TP again.

Completed multiple Trans-Atlantics in both directions, during most months of the year. Couple of them included some snotty seas, but most were reasonably comfortable. Happy to repeat, but prefer W'bd for the cloxs.

Enjoy the relaxing seas days.

We like the Atlantic round trips to the US/ Caribbean from the UK, ranging in duration from 25 to 35 days [although longer ones are available]. Having 5 or so consecutive days at sea makes you feel as if you are actually "sailing", rather than being stuck on a large hotel that happens to be on the water! [Plus of course, the obvious advantages of no jet lag, no weight issues for luggage, and no airports!]

• Like 1

We have completed both east and westbound TA cruises. I am the only one in my family that goes stir crazy - I like the ports but find more than a few successive days at sea monotonous. In fact, I much prefer land visits whereby we can spend multiple days in cities that we enjoy.

With that said, we have booked another 2020 TA that ends in Rome & will spend 2 weeks in Italy at the culmination of the TA.  So, it is a win-win for my family - they get to enjoy the relaxing sea days during the cruise and I get to enjoy an extended stay in Italy after the cruise.

Have done many TAs.

Much prefer westbound - a series of 25 hour days is vastly preferable to 23 hour days.

Prefer more southerly route - northerly routes may be too cold to spend much (any) time on deck which is what TAs are all about.

I love sea days and think the ports are almost irrelevant. However, I prefer interesting embarkation / disembarkation ports so I can stay a few days and have extra, bonus, mini-holidays. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Much prefer westbound - a series of 25 hour days is vastly preferable to 23 hour days.

Prefer more southerly route - northerly routes may be too cold to spend much (any) time on deck which is what TAs are all about.

I love sea days and think the ports are almost irrelevant. However, I prefer interesting embarkation / disembarkation ports so I can stay a few days and have extra, bonus, mini-holidays. 

I agree with everything except the preference for the westbound TA which are usually in the fall. The more "usable" sunlight in April and May makes an eastbound TA preferable and the days seems longer and less gloomy. Also, with an eastbound from the US to Europe, your internal clock has had time to adjust and you are physically ready for all that touring in Europe.

• Like 1

We've done two round trips, in 2017 and again this year. Both times were on QM2 - and for us the ship and sea days are the main attraction.

We do enjoy port visits as well, so I am looking at one of three itineraries for 2021. These are 19 or 21 day round trips that include at least two new ports [as well as two visits to Southampton].

We regularly come back from Europe by ship - in October or November -favorites were on Prinsendam from Rome - stopping in Corsica, Malaga and Cadiz in Spain, Porto, Lisbon and Madeira in Portugal then across to FLL.  Also a Celebrity - from Harwich, stopping at La Rochelle , Vigo in Spain for Santiago de Campostella, Lisbon, the Azores then Miami - followed by Amtrak to NY. One year the timing worked for a TA on Royal Caribbean from Rome arriving Galveston the weekend before Thanksgiving with daughter’s family in Houston.

Now tired of big mass market tubs - next September it will be Oceania from Southampton to New York - via France, Ireland, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, then Portland, ME - for lunch with sister in law.

Westbound T/A’s are best - get the annoying flight out of the way first and enjoy relaxing trip home when Atlantic is at its warmest and time changes work in your favor - on port side for the sun.

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

I agree with everything except the preference for the westbound TA which are usually in the fall. The more "usable" sunlight in April and May makes an eastbound TA preferable and the days seems longer and less gloomy. Also, with an eastbound from the US to Europe, your internal clock has had time to adjust and you are physically ready for all that touring in Europe.

Wow - the Atlantic is much warmer in October and November than in April and May,  25 hour days on ship are better than 23 hour ones, September and October in Europe are better than rainier April and May, and who wants to spoil the end of your trip with a flight?

• Like 2

We love eastbound TAs, and would do one every year except for the pain of the flights back.  A week of sea days is bliss.  Visiting several Med ports is really nice.  But that's the end of the positive experience.  If we could sail across, spend up to a week there, and sail back, that would be perfect.

We've done four Transatlantics now, all in the spring because fall doesn't work well for us.  

We like all the sea days and so far every port has been interesting.  My favorite was perhaps the stop at the French Riviera--Villa de Franche.

The latest TA, last spring, was our least favorite,largely because it was out of New York in April, so a more northern crossing and the weather was not great, plus the ship had noro virus and also we did not particularly like the ship.  The ports were awesome though.

I'm sure we will do more!

I have done a couple of TA's.  Both were westbound.  One left out of Southampton had stops in La Coruna, Spain, Lisbon, Portugal, Canary Islands, Funchal, Madeira Island and 7 sea days.  The other left out of Rome with stops in Corsica, Barcelona, Cartagena, Malaga, Spain, Tangiers, Morocco, & Madeira Island again and then the 7 days at sea.  

I enjoyed both trips and weather was great on both trips in the fall.  I read a lot on cruises to relax so the sea days were fine for me, very relaxing.  Routine was sleep, eat, read, and then repeat as necessary.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

You also need to consider the respective routing.

Subject to weather, Eastbound crossings generally plan Great Circle courses following the Gulf Stream, which puts you in higher Latitudes. When westbound, to avoid the Gulf Stream they generally follow a more southerly crossing.

When the difference of daylight is only an hour or two, my preference is temperature and amount of sunshine. From lots of crossings, I find it is generally warmer and with more sun when W'bd, even in Oct/Nov, by being closer to the tropics.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iancal said:

We only did one.  Westbound.  Weather was perfect, ship was perfect.

We would never do another one.  After three days we were ready to jump ship.  We were bored silly.

I've never done one for this exact reason.  Any time it has come up I've refused.   I would go nuts if I had to sit around that long.   But, while I find it unappealing others like the down time.   Something for everyone.  

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I've never done one for this exact reason.  Any time it has come up I've refused.   I would go nuts if I had to sit around that long.   But, while I find it unappealing others like the down time.   Something for everyone.  

Not sure why you feel the need to sit around. Apart from the obvious diversions such as the gym and walking/jogging around the prom deck, there are numerous other activities (cricket,  golf, table tennis, etc ) plus of course guest speakers,  quizzes, films etc. Sometimes it's nice to get to a port for a rest!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not sure why you feel the need to sit around. Apart from the obvious diversions such as the gym and walking/jogging around the prom deck, there are numerous other activities (cricket,  golf, table tennis, etc ) plus of course guest speakers,  quizzes, films etc. Sometimes it's nice to get to a port for a rest!

I understand but those things could not keep me occupied for several days in a row.  That is just me. Like I say, something for everyone. 

"Sometimes it's nice to get to a port for a rest!"  That made me smile!  Reminds me of retirees (like me) saying we had more spare time when we worked!! 

BTW, I've never seen cricket on a cruise ship.  We are talking about the game that uses the flat bat yes?  That is one of the craziest sports I've seen.  I would enjoy watching that.