Would You Trans-Atlantic Again?

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you can “earn” five days between now and year end (presumably paying off your five hour {almost another full day} deficit) you are really talking about 30 days per year - not bad.

I have a very good leave package. I'm also grandfathered because of my years on the job - younger employees will never be able to get the same leave.

9 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

I have a very good leave package. I'm also grandfathered because of my years on the job - younger employees will never be able to get the same leave.

The same happened at my bank - about two years after I qualified for five weeks they capped it at four weeks.  

When I opted for early retirement, I chose early July as termination date - giving me five weeks unused vacation pay on top of my two year “going away present”.  I was very fortunate to be able to leave on amicable terms shortly after it stopped being a happy place to work.

11 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The same happened at my bank - about two years after I qualified for five weeks they capped it at four weeks.  

When I opted for early retirement, I chose early July as termination date - giving me five weeks unused vacation pay on top of my two year “going away present”.  I was very fortunate to be able to leave on amicable terms shortly after it stopped being a happy place to work.

Bob was "laid off and offered early retirement."  He got three weeks severance for every year of service (22 years) plus all his "paid time off" which was substantial.  I gather those times are gone.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I understand that longer cruises are difficult for those in employment, but surely there must be thousands of US retirees who would be interested in a 35 day round trip cruise to Europe.

Sure there are - just as there must be thousands of European retirees IN ADDITION TO the thousands of European workers who’s employers give them five or six weeks CONSECUTIVE vacation time.  This difference in the numbers of potential cruisers explains why there are many more such cruises from Europe than from the US.

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

I understand that longer cruises are difficult for those in employment, but surely there must be thousands of US retirees who would be interested in a 35 day round trip cruise to Europe.

I just checked -- HAL's Zaandam sails from Boston 7/18/2020 on a 35 day Northern Europe itinerary, and Oceania's Insignia on a similar 42 day one from New York on 8/15/2020.  In late Fall and Winter Months Island Princess, Volendam and Queen Victoria sail to South America on 32 to 58 day itineraries.

In answer to OP's question...in a heartbeat!  Over the years, many TA's on the Italian line to Italy and now, mostly repo sailings.  The per diem cost is VERY reasonable.  Favorite stops: Azores and Bermuda.

I would never consider trying to take 5 consecutive weeks off work. Too much can happen in that time.

And on another level. If the firm can do without me for that long, they may conclude they can do without me for longer.

Also it would be pretty inconsiderate of me to ask a colleague to cover for me for that long, especially as they would have to do their job as well.

19 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I would never consider trying to take 5 consecutive weeks off work. Too much can happen in that time.

And on another level. If the firm can do without me for that long, they may conclude they can do without me for longer.

Also it would be pretty inconsiderate of me to ask a colleague to cover for me for that long, especially as they would have to do their job as well.

These are simply practical facts:

A large part of an individual’s value to an enterprise is the continuity he/she provides. The more valuable that individual’s part is, the more disruptive a prolonged absence will be.

Your managers would have to pretty unobservant if they do not feel that your prolonged absence has a negative effect - and, if your absence did not have a negative effect, it has to be concluded that your presence was not that important in the first place. 

Of course, if what you do is important - someone else will have to carry your load while you are away.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Take heart, those of you in retirement. I was a teacher and the only time I could cruise were during the busy, more expensive  seasons filled with kids. I lamented about my situation, but now retirement is here. Sometimes, you think retirement will never get here, but it will!

• Like 2

In the past few years we have done two TA crossings (one each way) and greatly enjoyed ourselves on both cruises. We’re not fans of sea days, so we try to find cruises with as many ports as possible and within our price range.

The eastbound was in the spring (April/May) and was a 16-night cruise with Celebrity sailing out of Miami. Ports visited were; 2 days in Bermuda; Ponta Delgada, Azores; Lisbon, Portugal; Bilbao, Spain; Le Havre, France; ending in Southampton. Weather was somewhat reasonable and we were able to visit all the scheduled ports.

The westbound was in the fall (Aug/Sept) and was a 20-day cruise with HAL sailing out of Copenhagen. Ports scheduled to be visited were; Alesund, Norway; 5 ports in Iceland including 2 days in Reykjavik (6 port days in total); 3 stops in Greenland; St. Johns, Newfoundland; Halifax, Nova Scotia; ending in New York. We missed 3 ports – two due to weather and one due to an emergency call. If you're interested, I did a review of our HAL cruise and you can see it here.

On 10/27/2019 at 5:51 PM, babs135 said:

How can anyone go to New York and not have bagels?. It would be an utter crime!!  

Not quite a crime but a very necessary purchase to establish that Montreal bagels are vastly superior. 😉 

• 2 months later...

I like to play bridge.  TAs typically offer a decent bridge program.  Using NCL as an example (I know other lines offer it, too), a certified bridge director and teacher (typically a married couple) offer a daily beginner lesson, intermediate lesson and duplicate (competitive) game on sea days at no cost.  These events typically draw 50-75 participants each.  It is easy to form partnerships and the sea days pass quickly.  Strongly recommended, even for those with no prior knowledge of bridge. 

We like the TA's on the Windstar ships that do not stop anywhere til it is time to get off and come home...….we like being on the ocean and feeling like we are truly sailing rather than crossing the ocean  in a big horizontal hotel...….to each his own, eh?  Peace and quiet and decent food and cabins......

Good morning, loving this thread:classic_biggrin:......I am getting ready to take my first crossing in April:classic_biggrin:. I just retired on

12/31 and now can take that crossing I have always wanted to do!   I am sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to

Barcelona, 16 nights...…...with various stops of course...….Gibraltar,  Sevilla , Malaga, and Funchal (Portugal)

We are in Sevilla overnight.

Once we arrive in Barcelona (since we are already in Europe--as others have mentioned LOL)…..I am

then flying to Lisbon---3 day land trip followed by a 7 night river cruise on the Douro:classic_biggrin:

This trip is a celebration of my retirement and right now I am going through radiation treatments so

celebrating good health please!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, loving this thread:classic_biggrin:......I am getting ready to take my first crossing in April:classic_biggrin:. I just retired on

12/31 and now can take that crossing I have always wanted to do!   I am sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to

Barcelona, 16 nights...…...with various stops of course...….Gibraltar,  Sevilla , Malaga, and Funchal (Portugal)

We are in Sevilla overnight.

Once we arrive in Barcelona (since we are already in Europe--as others have mentioned LOL)…..I am

then flying to Lisbon---3 day land trip followed by a 7 night river cruise on the Douro:classic_biggrin:

This trip is a celebration of my retirement and right now I am going through radiation treatments so

celebrating good health please!

A fabulous itinerary; I’m jealous.

We’ve done five transatlantic cruises and enjoyed them all.  We like sea days as well as port calls so  great mix.

The Douro cruise ought to be quite a way to contrast river cruising with ocean cruising.  We did Budapest to Amsterdam last June and enjoyed it a lot but will likely stick with ocean cruising and land tours from now on.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

A fabulous itinerary; I’m jealous.

We’ve done five transatlantic cruises and enjoyed them all.  We like sea days as well as port calls so  great mix.

The Douro cruise ought to be quite a way to contrast river cruising with ocean cruising.  We did Budapest to Amsterdam last June and enjoyed it a lot but will likely stick with ocean cruising and land tours from now on.

Good morning, I have taken 2 previous river cruises, the most recent back in October so I know all about the

differences.  I LOVE both kinds of cruises:classic_biggrin: and I travel solo and feel cruising is the best

vacation my $$$ can buy...…..I haven't taken a true land vacation in many years.

On 10/24/2019 at 10:06 PM, need2cruisesoon said:

On my bucket list just have to get the DW onboard.....

Give me your favorite all time trans-atlantic with stops and if Eastbound or Westbound?

Thanks, Need2Cruise

I have just read thru this whole thread....entertaining.....I feel the need to comment---."just have to get the DW onboard"  Well, if she wont get on board, try to DO IT YOURSELF!  I have done 4 transatlantics. Two with my husband, and 2 without.  The downside is that you have to be very aware of the prices when you are sailing yourself. If you go alone you most likely have to pay double or almost double except on Norwegian, and I don't find the studios really worth it. So this may limit your choices.

I am doing a back to back on Carnival Radiance this spring, and that will be my 5th TA, and first b2b. This will be alone also. as of now, no one is joining me.  Carnival is okay with me, and I can afford to do a back to back with them. Some people can afford more, or like different lines, but i am fine with this also because the timing of the cruises and the itineraries are right for me. My husband can't go with me because of an elderly mother he must look in on.

I prefer westbound.(Get the flying overwith!) Favorite ports?  They can be different for everyone, but I love Barcelona, Azores, Gibraltar. There are many others in the Med that I wish to go to and havent gotten to yet like Palma de Majorca.

Some people don't like many sea days in a row, but I obviously have no problem with them.  With good weather, a book, some sewing, and looking out on the ocean, I consider myself blessed.

So, if it's on your "bucket list" please consider going yourself or with a friend if your wife won't go with you.  Best wishes.

On 1/25/2020 at 3:43 PM, FLAHAM said:

I like to play bridge.  TAs typically offer a decent bridge program.  Using NCL as an example (I know other lines offer it, too), a certified bridge director and teacher (typically a married couple) offer a daily beginner lesson, intermediate lesson and duplicate (competitive) game on sea days at no cost.  These events typically draw 50-75 participants each.  It is easy to form partnerships and the sea days pass quickly.  Strongly recommended, even for those with no prior knowledge of bridge. 

Princess used to offer this as well.  Although I played bridge regularly back then, I never played on board but we had a cruise friend who was a regular.  In our more recent Princess cruises, I don't recall bridge being offered like it used to be on TAs.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:18 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Wow - the Atlantic is much warmer in October and November than in April and May,  25 hour days on ship are better than 23 hour ones, September and October in Europe are better than rainier April and May, and who wants to spoil the end of your trip with a flight?

A lot matters on why you go to Europe. If the ship experience is paramount, then perhaps fall is better. 

We view the ship as a very nice mode of transportation and our time in Europe is the most important. I love arriving in Europe with no jetlag so I can enjoy the longer days of sunlight. Since I am retired, I can rest when I get home. I still work, but have lots of flexibility in my schedule.

I would not take a TA just to take a TA.....but if you can combine it with something else, it's a nice way to get to from Europe, especially if you can drive to the US port.  We've rented a house in spain and TA back home; B2B cruise from Venice to Rome to home; TA to Southampton, visit family, drive through Wales.  We have had mostly great weather...you could canoe next to the ship all the way across.....and then there was the TA with 28-35' waves when our cabin was as far aft as possible on the top passenger deck of the infinity....a very memorable experience🙂  

If you want to TA as your trip...find one that stops in greenland, iceland which are fascinating.....don't go to the Azores which are essentially a fueling stop as far as we're concerned.  

16 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

If you want to TA as your trip...find one that stops in greenland, iceland which are fascinating.....don't go to the Azores which are essentially a fueling stop as far as we're concerned.  

The southerly route affords a better chance of pool deck weather.  In addition, I have had very pleasant outdoor seafood lunches in Ponta Delgada, an outstanding food-oriented tour, and an interesting visit to the Jewish cultural museum of the Azores.