Sad News On Captain Albert ‘s Blog

1ANGELCAT

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

On his blog today he noted that A Kirk Lanterman , the former CEO of HAL has passed away. 

I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife on Veendam several years ago.

i believe his wife Janet is Godmother to the  Amsterdam.

RIP

Sad new indeed, thanks for letting us know Cat! Mr. A. Kirk Lanterman did a lot of good things for HAL and his wife was indeed Amsterdam's godmother, back on October 30th, 2000. May he rest in peace! 

god-mother.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you for the update. I met Janet Lanterman many, many years ago when she established her own travel agency in Seattle. With her family connections to Mr. Lanterman, we were always treated very, very well when booking HAL cruises with her agency. We are still clients of that same travel agency, although Janet sold her interest in the daily operations several years ago.

R.I.P.

I have been unable to access Captain Albert's blog, eventually see this note:

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://aem-failover.hollandamerica.com/failover/failover-www.htm?" on this server.

Reference #18.5560dc17.1572788290.3a61665

Under the leadership of Mr. Lanterman, we guests enjoyed all of the "slogans" the PR Department devised.  The "slogans" were not just that.  They translated into an excellent cruise experience for the guest.  His service as a member of the Board of Directors of Carnival Corporation undoubtedly aided the success that the Corporation has experienced.

May he rest in peace as he cruises through eternity!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A wonderful man and leader for HAL.  I will always remember one experience regarding Mr. Lanterman.  A number of years ago I was on a HAL cruise, traveling with Janet's travel agency.   I had on a shirt labeled with her company's logo when ordering a burger at the Lido burger bar.  The HAL employee working the burger bar asked me if the shirt was from Mrs. Lanterman's company.  I said yes, and with tears in his eyes he said - "Oh, Mister Lanterman is such wonderful man.  Whenever he is onboard he always stops by to say HI.  He also thanks me for the great job I am doing.  He makes me feel as if I am one of the most important people working on board".  What a lovely tribute that was to Kirk Lanterman.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, wander said:

A wonderful man and leader for HAL.  I will always remember one experience regarding Mr. Lanterman.  A number of years ago I was on a HAL cruise, traveling with Janet's travel agency.   I had on a shirt labeled with her company's logo when ordering a burger at the Lido burger bar.  The HAL employee working the burger bar asked me if the shirt was from Mrs. Lanterman's company.  I said yes, and with tears in his eyes he said - "Oh, Mister Lanterman is such wonderful man.  Whenever he is onboard he always stops by to say HI.  He also thanks me for the great job I am doing.  He makes me feel as if I am one of the most important people working on board".  What a lovely tribute that was to Kirk Lanterman.

This crew member's tribute to Mr. Lanterman is precisely why Holland America Line has developed its loyal cruisers.  It's the crew.  Among the things that I remember the most appreciately is the service and the interaction with those of the crew that have served me.  Mr. Lanterman must have installed an "ethic" within the Company that succeeding CEO's/President's have been wise with which not to "tinker".  

• Like 1