Bad Sports Coverage on NCL

dwing18

I just got off the Breakaway.  I was disappointed in the lack of sports coverage available on the ship. 

We we not able to watch the world series or even get score updates.

They showed 1 NFL game and no scrolling updates were available.

I was with some Houston Astros fans who were very upset

Apparently NCL has switched to a cheaper Cable supplier which does not include ESPN or the major networks.

Unless this gets changed I will cruise NCL in the future.

I hate to sounds like a sports fanatic but I enjoy getting my NFL updates.  You can imagine how Houston Astros and Washington Nationals fans were.  Everyone I spoke to assumed the Word series would be should.  I remember mobs gathering around the TVs.  It makes NCL come off as pretty cheap.

ESPN, NFL, MLB, etc are all super expensive to receive the license broadcast for a relatively small audience per cruise. Just look at your own cable bill for these items....... but we can blame Andy because the subscription to Sports 24 was also under his watch and he never changed it. 

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

ESPN, NFL, MLB, etc are all super expensive to receive the license broadcast for a relatively small audience per cruise. Just look at your own cable bill for these items....... but we can blame Andy because the subscription to Sports 24 was also under his watch and he never changed it. 

Funny you should say that.  Just this morning I paid my Spectrum cable bill and it went up 10 bucks since last month.  That makes $21 in the last year plus they took Cinemax off the package.   Frustratingly expensive.

18 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

All lines are doing this, not just NCL.

Carnival Vista has a sports bar with American sport memorabilia but only shows Soccer all day. 

Kinda weird someone would not cruise a line because of this.  You are going on a cruise to pretty much cut yourself off from everything back home.  

• Like 4

I would not necessarily blame NCL or any cruise line.  There some legalities that MLB, NFL, NHL etc have put in place so that they get their fair share of revenue presumed earned because of their product.  Typically it happens in places of business and even some small sports bars in Anytown USA have got fined for broadcasting a game not found on their cable network.  I would imagine being a large target,  travelling well out of coverage areas, the contracted networks are putting the squeeze on.

2 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

We don't watch the NCL anymore, but sill love College Football,  however, we never book a cruise to watch TV.

When I cruise, I keep my Kindle loaded with books and my iPad loaded with movies I have missed over the preceding months.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mianmike said:

The MSC Seaside was showing NFL games in their sports bar.  It was a great atmosphere.

They also had the NBA finals in the summer.

I remember watching the NBA playoffs the last time I was on NCL. I also watched some Formula 1. It might just depend on what the person with the remote control wants to watch.

Hey we all like to do different things when we cruise.  It's our vacation and we are free to enjoy ourselves.  I had a good book to read, friends to celebrate with and plenty to eat and drink.  But I missed my sports coverage this past cruise.

1 hour ago, Trex827 said:

Dissapointed to hear this as I'll be sailing 11/30. OHIO State plays ttun at 12:00. I just purchased YouTube tv so I can stream it while docked at Port Canaveral. 

Dont' worry about that one.  It'll end up being a 30 point win.

Go Bucks

18 hours ago, dwing18 said:

I just got off the Breakaway.  I was disappointed in the lack of sports coverage available on the ship. 

We we not able to watch the world series or even get score updates.

They showed 1 NFL game and no scrolling updates were available.

I was with some Houston Astros fans who were very upset

Apparently NCL has switched to a cheaper Cable supplier which does not include ESPN or the major networks.

Unless this gets changed I will cruise NCL in the future.

This is true, but it has been discussed here over and over. Just last month there was a long going thread of this. We were on the Breakaway about 3 weeks ago. We did get NFL on Sun, Mon and Thurs but no other sports and as you say, no updates. We are huge sports fans, but know what? We lived without sports for the week and never really suffered much. As for switching, NCL has never, to my knowledge covered sports much. On the Jewel when she made her first voyage from England to America: 10 days and no sports. We were lucky to have a great cruise director and assistant. They give us updates. But, in all fairness we had the identical experience on both Princess and HAL. 

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

This is true, but it has been discussed here over and over. Just last month there was a long going thread of this. We were on the Breakaway about 3 weeks ago. We did get NFL on Sun, Mon and Thurs but no other sports and as you say, no updates. We are huge sports fans, but know what? We lived without sports for the week and never really suffered much. As for switching, NCL has never, to my knowledge covered sports much. On the Jewel when she made her first voyage from England to America: 10 days and no sports. We were lucky to have a great cruise director and assistant. They give us updates. But, in all fairness we had the identical experience on both Princess and HAL. 

I followed that long thread about a month ago, and was felt it was just on that ship, actually those ships based outside of the US.  People report that they were still getting NFL games on the US based ships (the ports they are based out of.  I know they are all flagged in the bahamas).  I'm on the Breakaway in January, on an 11 night cruise that will cover the 2nd and 3rd weeks of the NFL playoffs (when they show games on both Saturday and Sunday).  I'm happy to hear that you were just on the Breakaway and they indeed showed games I was on the Breakaway this past April, and they showed NBA playoffs every night.  They may have showed only one game a night, but it was something.  

22 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Lots of gripes about that ...... Unless you want to watch soccer, tennis, or golf (which I don't) all day you’re going to miss a lot of sports on board now.

You're right about it being particular sports.

Was on the Escape July 2018 during the World Cup and you could watch it anywhere on the ship.

I've been on a couple of rccl cruises during Wimbledon. Same thing. Actually I loved being on the Liberty of the Seas and they put Wimbledon on early in the morning on the big screen and I would relax in a whirlpool watching the tennis with a bloody mary or 3 in hand. Did that every morning.

I was on another rccl cruise many years ago during the super bowl and they had parties in many of the venues where you could watch. That was also great fun.

I'm a huge sports fan (Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers forever!!) so I miss it a little, but I survive, barely. Lmao!

Edited by bkrickles1