Shop card vs shipboard credits

FrankieSue

55 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

In the past, we’ve simply walked to the customer service desk and received actual cash in exchange for these cards. Will test it again soon with this new card. If we can’t, no problem, since we live ten minutes from the store and shop there often for gas, food, etc.

The "Shop Cards" that are for sale on the site say "Not Redeemable for Cash" right across the front of them.  Does yours look different?  I'm sure many would at least like to have the option to simply cash them out.

I'm not opposed to this change personally.  Like you, I live quite close to one and am typically there weekly.  And many don't seem to know that for other lines, this bb store has long been providing their "Cash Cards" rather than OBC when booking through them; we've received them for RCCL and X cruises too, so for some this will be nothing new.

28 minutes ago, 0bnxshs said:

The "Shop Cards" that are for sale on the site say "Not Redeemable for Cash" right across the front of them.  Does yours look different?  I'm sure many would at least like to have the option to simply cash them out.

No, and ours says (name of store) CASH in big letters. Ours have always been from X cruise purchases. So these “shop cards” for HAL may well prove to be different.

We have a March cruise booked with some generous big box OBC. I suspect if we tried to change anything, our OBC would turn into a shop card.

Not living close to a BB store is not a big deal. Our closest one is 5 hours away. We order online all the time, stop when we are traveling, book travel, etc. it would be interesting to know if the card can be used when you book travel.

Don't like it. Normally I will re book a few times to optimize. It will be interesting to see what happens in "my" future. I believe this is driven by HAL. They do have that kind of control. Same sort of reason that you can't book Viking thru "the BB"". Probably to tighten the circle for other TA's.

The big difference is weather I get the money back on my CC or the wife gets it for gas and shopping. ☹️

19 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

If you're the sort of person who sees OBC and says "I gotta spend it all" then it will be better for you. if you're the sort who looks at the OBC and their first question is "how much is refundable" and realize that you can get that back in cash, then this is not a good deal. Or if you're the sort who gets the $300 gift card in the mail and says "time for a new TV" or something else you weren't planning to buy, then it's also not a good deal.

As you might imagine, I am the person who does not spend refundable OBC unless it's something I really want, so I would not like the cash card.

I have only cruised a few times and the OBC has always been consumed with gratuities or items I would buy anyway online pre-cruise  or a few drinks I buy.

I use the shop card for either planned big ticket items or every few weeks for groceries so its cash I would spend anyway.

I want the lowest net cruise cost and I count the cash cards as a cash reduction of the cruise cost.

In the past I have also received cash from the cards in store.

In the past I also consider the 5% cash back I get for using their card as a reduction in the cruise cost, even though it is delayed to two different dates. This year I prepaid most of a B2B on  their CC  to take advantage of the CC travel insurance. That benefit ended in September so when I canceled with Royal and booked with HAL I used that credit towards HAL and opened a CC with travel benefits and paid some of the unpaid amount with that CC to get the 50k miles bonus for purchases in the first 4 months.

I also book direct with the cruise line and move the reservation  to big box which nets cruise line OBC and benefits and big box cash back.

If I had a lot of OBC I would not go to the onboard stores and just spend the money because I had it which I imagine a fair amount of people do.

I just did a comparison of my three future cruises between the OBC that I am supposed to receive and the Shop Card that is currently offered on the same cruises.  In all three cases, the shop card value is higher than the OBC I am to receive so that makes me think that they have (kinda, sorta) taken into account the exchange rate differential for Canadians.  At least, I hope so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alberta Quilter said:

These are the terms and conditions on the Big Box Agency Canadian website with respect to the "shop cards":

The exact amount of the benefit will be calculated during the online booking process. The Costco Shop Card offer is one per stateroom based on double occupancy, is valid for dates specified and is only valid for bookings made through Costco Travel. Offer is nontransferable and may not be combined with any other offer or coupon. The card, which you'll receive approximately three weeks after you return from your cruise, may be used toward merchandise or gas at any Costco warehouse throughout the United States, or toward online purchases at costco.com. The only way lost cards can be replaced is by presenting your original vacation or cruise invoice to Costco Travel. Neither CWC-Gift Card Co. nor any of its affiliates are responsible for use of this card without your permission. Gift card balances cannot be applied as payments to any account or redeemed for cash, unless required by law. Costco Shop Cards cannot be used for travel purchases.

Does this mean I can use the Canadian shop card at a US store at par?  More difficult than cash but since we spend a lot of time in the US it would work for us.

Note that in the T&Cs quoted above, the shop card cannot be used for travel purchases.  

I see that now.

My favorite TA said some cruise lines were not allowing 'discounts' but were allowing 'rebates'.  This TA defined a 'rebate' as a refund of a portion of the cruise fare given after the completion of the cruise.  This TA further stated that it would be very difficult for any cruise line to disallow 'rebates'.  Once the funds are transferred to the TA, the TA is free to do whatever they wish with the proceeds.

This would mean the cash cards are a perfect example of a 'rebate'.

Although 'discounts' and 'rebates' have the same effect on total price, this means that instead of a discount given 90 days prior to the cruise, you have to wait 2-4 weeks after the cruise.   Your funds are tied up for maybe four months additional.  That isn't a big deal  with today's interest rates.

Edited by RocketMan275

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I see that now.

My favorite TA said some cruise lines were not allowing 'discounts' but were allowing 'rebates'.  This TA defined a 'rebate' as a refund of a portion of the cruise fare given after the completion of the cruise.  This TA further stated that it would be very difficult for any cruise line to disallow 'rebates'.  Once the funds are transferred to the TA, the TA is free to do whatever they wish with the proceeds.

This would mean the cash cards are a perfect example of a 'rebate'.

Although 'discounts' and 'rebates' have the same effect on total price, this means that instead of a discount given 90 days prior to the cruise, you have to wait 2-4 weeks after the cruise.   Your funds are tied up for maybe four months additional.  That isn't a big deal  with today's interest rates.

But the “discount” wasn’t given prior to the cruise. The way it was done, you paid (or charged) for the cruise in it’s entirety, then when you boarded those funds were made available to you for use onboard. If you didn’t spend it then, it went back on your card. 

8 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

If I had a lot of OBC I would not go to the onboard stores and just spend the money because I had it which I imagine a fair amount of people do.

I agree, in which case I don't understand why the claim is that HAL was the one who initiated the change. I'm sure that most people do not realize that TA OBC is almost always refundable and instead spend it on the ship on stuff that they might not otherwise. So it's beneficial to them for you to get OBC to spend. It benefits the big box store to pay it in the form of a gift card that has to be used at the store.

Edited by MisterBill99

17 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I agree, in which case I don't understand why the claim is that HAL was the one who initiated the change. I'm sure that most people do not realize that TA OBC is almost always refundable and instead spend it on the ship on stuff that they might not otherwise. So it's beneficial to them for you to get OBC to spend. It benefits the big box store to pay it in the form of a gift card that has to be used at the store.

I agree - I seriously doubt that it was HAL's idea to make this change as they now get credit for the extra purchases.  After the change, the big box gets the sales!

On 11/30/2019 at 4:53 PM, MisterBill99 said:

So I sent in the transfer paperwork yesterday and it was moved to Big box TA today. Online if I book through big box I get a shop card. They are giving me $500 in refundable OBC. 

21 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

So I sent in the transfer paperwork yesterday and it was moved to Big box TA today. Online if I book through big box I get a shop card. They are giving me $500 in refundable OBC. 

Now that's interesting.  I have a cruise to move over to the BBA in the next couple of weeks (before the 60 days is up) so hope that happens for me, too.  Thanks for posting.

6 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Now that's interesting.  I have a cruise to move over to the BBA in the next couple of weeks (before the 60 days is up) so hope that happens for me, too.  Thanks for posting.

Royal tells you it takes 8-10 days and it takes the full time. I was surprised it moved so fast (less than 24 hours).

Make sure you use the latest form

Transfer Request Form - FINAL 091919.pdf

You can also request the form and then reply to that email with the completed form.

Thanks

alan

Edited by AlanF65

1 hour ago, AlanF65 said:

Royal tells you it takes 8-10 days and it takes the full time. I was surprised it moved so fast (less than 24 hours).

Make sure you use the latest form

Transfer Request Form - FINAL 091919.pdf 226.94 kB · 4 downloads

You can also request the form and then reply to that email with the completed form.

Thanks

alan

Thanks, Alan.  My last HAL transfer took eleven days in mid September.  Apparently, they changed the rules and one has to go through one's PCC first so they can agree to the transfer - not that anyone bothered to tell me that.  It was only after I inquired about it, I was told about it.  Yet your form (which is the one I have) says to send it directly to World Cruise Reservations which is what I did.  I'll email my PCC first and see if there are any other changes.

Thanks, Alan.  My last HAL transfer took eleven days in mid September.  Apparently, they changed the rules and one has to go through one's PCC first so they can agree to the transfer - not that anyone bothered to tell me that.  It was only after I inquired about it, I was told about it.  Yet your form (which is the one I have) says to send it directly to World Cruise Reservations which is what I did.  I'll email my PCC first and see if there are any other changes.

I just emailed world_cruise_reservations@hollandamerica.com and asked the form and then replied to that email with the filled out form.

I don't know who my PCC is, I booked online and then made some changes on the phone and cancellation once I knew what I wanted.

Thanks

Alan

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Was your original booking thru HAL before or after Nov. 26? The date of the original booking may have impacted the receipt of OBC or a card. Just a guess on my part. 

26 minutes ago, yerdua said:

Was your original booking thru HAL before or after Nov. 26? The date of the original booking may have impacted the receipt of OBC or a card. Just a guess on my part. 

Hi,

Before 11-26 (10-31), I made a deposit of $25.

I guess we wait until 1-26 to see what happens to new bookings transferred

Thanks

Alan

On 12/5/2019 at 5:30 PM, yerdua said:

Your guess is correct.  I just re-fared a cruise due to a significant price drop.  I still receive the TA OBC but it was reduced a bit due to the price drop. (Standard procedure).  The agent that I spoke with did indicate that cruises booked prior to Nov 26 would still receive OBC and those booked afterwards will receive the shop card.  

On 12/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, AlanF65 said:

I just emailed world_cruise_reservations@hollandamerica.com and asked the form and then replied to that email with the filled out form.

I don't know who my PCC is, I booked online and then made some changes on the phone and cancellation once I knew what I wanted.

Thanks

Alan

Since you booked online, they wouldn't have needed to check with anyone, like a PCC.  I usually book with a PCC and for some reason they need him to authorize th transfer.  I'll be chatting with him next week prior to transferring another cruise.

We just spoke with the big box TA and asked about the shop card on a Princess cruise.   She told us the change went into effect on Dec. 4 for Princess.  It seems from reading here the change for HAL went into effect in late November.  We are definitely not happy!  We book many cruises and turn them over to the big box store.  All the bookings we have already transferred will receive the OBC, anything we book or transfer to them now will have a shop card.  Since there are no big box stores near our home we don't shop there a lot, and sometimes the amount of OBC we receive is a couple thousand dollars how am I supposed to spend all that on TP and gas?  I much preferred refundable OBC.  

I asked about a couple of bookings they have of ours which take place in 2021, and if I made changes to the bookings, would we still get the OBC?  She said yes.  Anything they had on the books prior to the change date would remain OBC.  Any new bookings would be the shop card.  If I decide to cancel a B2B and book as one single cruise (on the new Princess sale which debuted today), then we would be offered the shop card.  

We are now having to think about a new TA since this is not going to work out for us.  Really bummed!

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

there are no big box stores near our home we don't shop there a lot, and sometimes the amount of OBC we receive is a couple thousand dollars how am I supposed to spend all that on TP and gas?

I know, we usually have that much OBC too.  I think the card is good for online purchases too?  And from previous experience the cost of shipping is included in the price.  (you do know that you can get SO much more than TP and gas, I'm assuming you were joking)!

13 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I think the card is good for online purchases too?  And from previous experience the cost of shipping is included in the price.  

If you compare the price in the store to the online price, you will note that although the shipping is rolled into the total price of the item, it is not actually free.

• Thanks 1